Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Obtaining residencia

Obtaining residencia

Old Jul 27th 2011, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Val W is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Obtaining residencia

Can anyone tell me please the procedure for obtaining residencia? Specifially if we need to make an appointment or do we just arrive early in the morning? I think we have to go to Orihuela for this. I believe we have to ask for a form to pay at the bank, when we go back do we then have to get in the queue again or make another appointment. I have a copy of the EX16
Old Jul 27th 2011, 10:13 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining residencia

Originally Posted by Val W
Can anyone tell me please the procedure for obtaining residencia? Specifially if we need to make an appointment or do we just arrive early in the morning? I think we have to go to Orihuela for this. I believe we have to ask for a form to pay at the bank, when we go back do we then have to get in the queue again or make another appointment. I have a copy of the EX16
each office has its own rules - our nearest one in Denia you have to queue at cock-crow on a friday for an appointment for the following week (if you're lucky)

in Benidorm you just walk in any time between 10am & 2pm - no appointment required - they give you the bank form, you toddle off to pay - go back in - they check the forms & you walk out with your shiny green certificate - as long as you already have a NIE number - they do them seperately

maybe phone & ask them?

theer number will be here http://www.interior.gob.es/MIR/Direc...e_extranjeros/
Old Jul 27th 2011, 5:09 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

In Canarie Isles We go to the Police station get the forms fill them in ..go to Town Hall ..then the Bank and back to the Police station and get our residencia form ..Remember to copy your Passport 4 times and any other form they give you..

Last edited by tommy.irene; Jul 27th 2011 at 5:12 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

For Orihuela police station which is 15mins walk from the bus station, NOT Orihuela Costa, you go there to get the tariffa form & make an appointment on the same day. Pay your 10 euro to any bank & then go with the form on the day given to you. They open at 4pm till 7pm & your name is called according to their list they have. That's what I did in Feb this year when I got mine.

For the 1st visit to get your tariffa form, you can go anytime as I went in the morning but on the appointment day when you get the residencia, they only open from 4pm.

Last edited by ForHotspot; Jul 28th 2011 at 6:25 am.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Val W is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all your replies. ForHotspot, can you tell me is there a queue when we go to collect the forms, is it better to go early in a morning, also how long did you have to wait for your appointment after obtaining your forms?
Old Jul 28th 2011, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Val W
Thank you for all your replies. ForHotspot, can you tell me is there a queue when we go to collect the forms, is it better to go early in a morning, also how long did you have to wait for your appointment after obtaining your forms?
I arrived Orihuela police station at around 8am & there's no queue, 1 of the staffs gave me the form & wrote my name on his list, asking me to come back 2 days later as it was a Friday.

On Monday I went again after waiting for about 1 hr as my name was quite far down the list, I told them that I got to catch my bus & I was told that they're waiting for their computer to come up as the system broke down & they stamped my form asking me to come back the next day which took less than 5mins to process my form as I was the 1st one in at 3.45pm as 1 staff usually arrived 15mins early.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Alectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud of

The new form is entitled Extranjeros E18. You can Google it and it is there online and can be completed on line before printing it off - you need 2 copies.

You also need your passport, old Residencia card, if you have one, and photocopies of both passport and the old Residencia card. No photographs.

My appointment in Jaen was for 09.30. I was seen at 09.25, they examined my documentation and I was then given the form to take to the bank and pay 10 Euros 20 centimos. I was told to go back at 12.30 to collect the Residencia. I went back at 11.00 on the off-chance and was seen within about 10 minutes. I was thanked for choosing Spain as a country in which to live and told that, as this was my second Residencia, there would be no need to apply for a third - just hang on to the A4 paper. He took my old credit-card sized Residencia, snipped off a very discrete corner and handed it back to me with a wink.

It was a 90km round trip and I was back home at noon and straight into a bar to celebrate my legality once more (my old Residencia had expired in October 2010).

Altogether a refreshingly simple and satisfying morning - now, where's the gin?
Old Aug 16th 2011, 2:55 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alectryon
You also need your passport, old Residencia card, if you have one, and photocopies of both passport and the old Residencia card. No photographs.
That depends where you go.

Some offices still ask for them although the requirements on the form do not ask for them.

Better to go prepared to be asked for them.

Also some offices insist on taking your old card off you. Having a photocopy of it is a good idea and might mean that they don't ask for it.

As has been said many times, the old expired card is usually acceptable for ID - certainly in shops.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Alectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud of

I have a few questions for general debate. That is IF a general debate is acceptable.

We are not in Spain under sufferance, we have a right as European Union citizens to live here. We are not unfortunate North African illegal immigrants sneaking our way in through the back door.

So why do we have to pay, over and above the normal taxes, to be here?

My new Residencia document states at both the top and the bottom

' AVISO. DOCUMENTO NO VALIDO PARA ACREDITAR LA IDENTIDAD NI LA NACIONALIDAD DEL PORTADOR'.

So what is the point? They looked at me, they looked at my previous Residencia card with photograph, they looked at my passport - with photograph and then charged me 10 Euros 20 cts. Just another money-raising exercise?

If they included a photograph of the holder on the new green sheet then it could presumably be used as a valid ID and MIGHT be worth the time, trouble and expense to obtain it.

I just 'phoned a Spanish doctor friend of mine in the UK for whom I was responsible for training and living in the UK. She told me that she has none of this nonsense as she is an EU citizen. So why do the British living in Spain have to put up with it?

Sometimes I despair!
Old Aug 17th 2011, 4:11 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

We are not in Spain under sufferance, we have a right as European Union citizens to live here. We are not unfortunate North African illegal immigrants sneaking our way in through the back door.

You only have a right to live here if you conform with any rules that Spain chooses to apply within the framework of EU residency law.

About the only thing Spain asks you is to part with €10.20 for a piece of paper that says you have registered.

They COULD ask you for proof of an adequate income and proof of adequate personal health cover - but they don't.

€10.20 as a once off charge looks like a fair deal for the right to permanently reside in Spain.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Because the UK, unlike most EU countries, does not have a system of personal ID/residence cards. Fortunately they were abrogated by the ConDems. You are free to live where/when you will. At the most you will enrol yourself on the Electoral register. Or register at the Job centre to make sure you get your benefits.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Aug 17th 2011, 4:38 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I have a few questions for general debate. That is IF a general debate is acceptable.

My new Residencia document states at both the top and the bottom

' AVISO. DOCUMENTO NO VALIDO PARA ACREDITAR LA IDENTIDAD NI LA NACIONALIDAD DEL PORTADOR'.

So what is the point? They looked at me, they looked at my previous Residencia card with photograph, they looked at my passport - with photograph and then charged me 10 Euros 20 cts. Just another money-raising exercise?

If they included a photograph of the holder on the new green sheet then it could presumably be used as a valid ID and MIGHT be worth the time, trouble and expense to obtain it.

I just 'phoned a Spanish doctor friend of mine in the UK for whom I was responsible for training and living in the UK. She told me that she has none of this nonsense as she is an EU citizen. So why do the British living in Spain have to put up with it?

Sometimes I despair!
surely your dr friend has told you that spaniards have to pay for forms the same way as extranjeros have to.?
perhaps the uk is laxer than other europa members - or they already have ID cards (which I would be more than happy to sign up for if only used for that purpose).

but as others are also saying, you - like your dr friend - are living in sovereign states with their own rules, laws and statutes. Europa at this time is only a website (we hope) and every member has right of movement and residence. break the rules in the spanish sovereign state and see how fast those bumbling spaniards with their petty paperwork will be on your case...
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

break the rules in the spanish sovereign state and see how fast those bumbling spaniards with their petty paperwork will be on your case.

Provided of course that you are not a Spanish national.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:34 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

break the rules in the spanish sovereign state and see how fast those bumbling spaniards with their petty paperwork will be on your case.

Provided of course that you are not a Spanish national.
sorry, thinking that would be understood

No racism, Spain the only country I have been to recently that has only nationals driving taxi's. Perhaps we are paying them too much ..