Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Obtaining DNI for Children

Obtaining DNI for Children

Old Dec 22nd 2012, 11:07 am
Josh in Spain

Joddle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Obtaining DNI for Children

My wife is Spanish and I am English amd we ;ive in Spain - we have three children 2 born in the Uk and one in Spain. The 2 born in the UK were registered at the Spanish embassy in London at the time. Now we are trying to get the DNI cards for the children.

The problem is the DNI dept won't accept our documentaiton (ie the UK Birth Certs and our completed and fully stamped Spanish Family book) and say we have to have Spanish Birth Certificates - but the ones for two of the children are UK ones. How does one therefore get a "Spanish" Birth Certificate in order to get the DNI?
Old Dec 24th 2012, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

flotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining DNI for Children

My husband is spanish and I am english we live in spain. At the moment we have got NIE for our children as they have UK birth certificates and passports. We do not have a family book so are a step behind you, however a few years ago we were told that we would need all UK documentation translated and stamped by a nominated official in Madrid, however we have never had to have this for anything else I think getting a DNI for children with British certificate, and one British parent is not going to be straightforward. I know that my sister in law is spanish but has a UK birth certificate, however she got her DNI when she moved to Spain because her parents had registered her at the Spanish embassy, were both spanish and she had a spanish passport. Do your children that were born in the UK have British or Spanish passports?
Old Dec 26th 2012, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

fawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nice

When you apply for the first DNI for a child, you have to produce a "certificacion literal de nacimiento", which is more o less a long form birth certificate. This has nothing to do with their UK birth certificate, and has to be applied for in the Spanish consulate where you registered the children's birth.

Please make sure you ask for the "certificacion literal de nacimiento", as there is a short version that will not be accepted. Also say you want it in order to obtain the DNI, as they have to make a special note on it for that purpose.

The consulate should issue the certificate for free.

The UK certificate is not proof of Spanish citizenship and hence will not be accepted, the same way the UK authorities will not accept a Spanish birth certificate for a child born in Spain to British parents: they will ask you to register the child at the UK consulate and get a British birth certificate.

Cheers
Old Dec 27th 2012, 1:22 pm
Josh in Spain

Joddle is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks - thats exactly what I wanted to know. Happy New Year
Old Jul 8th 2013, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

juancarlo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, sorry to drag up an old thread but is it possible to do this for adults too?

I have a child born in Spain but his registered nationality is British. He has a Spanish birth certificate but I was told he required a UK passport/birth certificate and a Spanish NIE for health care etc...

I also have 3 children born in the UK who have NIE's but wondered if we could all get DNI cards. NIE is a pain in the a, having to carry your UK passport around for ID and I would like a DNI card myself.

Cheers,
Juan.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 3:04 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by juancarlo
Hi, sorry to drag up an old thread but is it possible to do this for adults too?

I have a child born in Spain but his registered nationality is British. He has a Spanish birth certificate but I was told he required a UK passport/birth certificate and a Spanish NIE for health care etc...

I also have 3 children born in the UK who have NIE's but wondered if we could all get DNI cards. NIE is a pain in the a, having to carry your UK passport around for ID and I would like a DNI card myself.

Cheers,
Juan.

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary