Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Inappropriate comment of the week

Inappropriate comment of the week

Old Jul 7th 2013, 6:30 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Inappropriate comment of the week

It seems that celebs and commentators often put their foot in it.

The latest was made by John Inverdale about the Wimbledon winner Marion Bartoli;

He said: "I just wonder if her dad, because he has obviously been the most influential person in her life, did say to her when she was 12, 13, 14 maybe, 'listen, you are never going to be, you know, a looker.

This ranks alongside the Claire Balding´s comment to the Grand National winner about his teeth.

So for this week I propose John Inverdale, unless there have been other worse celeb comments.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 6:37 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inappropriate comment of the week

Originally Posted by me me
It seems that celebs and commentators often put their foot in it.

The latest was made by John Inverdale about the Wimbledon winner Marion Bartoli;

He said: "I just wonder if her dad, because he has obviously been the most influential person in her life, did say to her when she was 12, 13, 14 maybe, 'listen, you are never going to be, you know, a looker.

This ranks alongside the Claire Balding´s comment to the Grand National winner about his teeth.

So for this week I propose John Inverdale, unless there have been other worse celeb comments.
The BBC have officially apologised for the comment, still wasn't that nice though
Old Jul 7th 2013, 6:42 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The BBC have officially apologised for the comment, still wasn't that nice though
That does not really null and void the comment though, as they say, "you can´t un-ring a bell".
Old Jul 7th 2013, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it people cannot accept the truth?
Old Jul 7th 2013, 7:56 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Why is it people cannot accept the truth?
To someone she might well be the most beautiful woman in the world, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. No matter what, it was a totally inappropriate comment to make on air.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 8:30 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Having been the target in the past of similarly hurtful comments myself, believe me, it would be better for the unfortunate victim if the righteously indignant would just stay quite and ignore it rather than kick up a fuss. Does anyone think that an 'official apology' does anything other than draw attention to the matter and make things worse?
Old Jul 7th 2013, 8:38 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by jimenato
Having been the target in the past of similarly hurtful comments myself, believe me, it would be better for the unfortunate victim if the righteously indignant would just stay quite and ignore it rather than kick up a fuss. Does anyone think that an 'official apology' does anything other than draw attention to the matter and make things worse?
As people had made complaints, then the BBC was forced to act, they couldn't just ignore the comments, and it's not the first time this Wimbledon, there was a stupid comment made to Andy Murray in a post match interview, regarding Sir AF, they had to apologise and the offending comment/question was removed from the BBC official video of the interview, however as it had already been posted on YouTube it was a bit pointless to remove it.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 8:41 am
Banned

It seems that Marion Bartoli is not really bothered by the comment:

Marion Bartoli said: "It doesn't matter, honestly. I am not blonde, yes. That is a fact. Have I dreamt about having a model contract? No. I'm sorry.

"But have I dreamed about winning Wimbledon? Absolutely, yes."

The fact that she does not seem to have taken it too badly, still does not take away from the totally inappropriate comment made about her.

Anyway, congratulations to Marion, go girl go.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 8:45 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
It seems that Marion Bartoli is not really bothered by the comment:

Marion Bartoli said: "It doesn't matter, honestly. I am not blonde, yes. That is a fact. Have I dreamt about having a model contract? No. I'm sorry.

"But have I dreamed about winning Wimbledon? Absolutely, yes."

The fact that she does not seem to have taken it too badly, still does not take away from the totally inappropriate comment made about her.

Anyway, congratulations to Marion, go girl go.
Well said that girl.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 8:54 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It was a horrible comment to make, but people often make comments they regret and before our wired-up age it didn't matter all that much. It does now, call someone a Pleb and you're sacked; the whole of America is rocked to the core when someone mentions the N word; Germans are trying to airbrush the war out of their history; and every week some politician apologises for some act in history hundreds of years ago.

It won't be long before they invent something like a swear filter which they fit in your mouth to stop you making inappropriate comments.

George Orwell wrote about it 60 years ago.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 9:00 am
FreeThinker

Anyway...

Not a classic pretty - pretty perhaps but I bet there's quite a few women wouldn't mind looking like her.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
It was a horrible comment to make, but people often make comments they regret and before our wired-up age it didn't matter all that much. It does now, call someone a Pleb and you're sacked; the whole of America is rocked to the core when someone mentions the N word; Germans are trying to airbrush the war out of their history; and every week some politician apologises for some act in history hundreds of years ago.

It won't be long before they invent something like a swear filter which they fit in your mouth to stop you making inappropriate comments.

George Orwell wrote about it 60 years ago.
They've been trying to stamp out discrimination between the sexes for 40 years, and we haven't got that far considering you would never get a tennis commentator saying "Andy Murray is playing really well, his Mum must have got him to take up sport because he was ginger and geeky looking". Why does appearance always have to come into it whenever women are discussed or written about (the tabloid headlines always talk about "Blonde mother of two, 25, did xxx" but never "Balding father of 4, 36, did xxx", do they?) but it's pretty much irrelevant when speaking of men.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 9:16 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Lynn R
They've been trying to stamp out discrimination between the sexes for 40 years, and we haven't got that far considering you would never get a tennis commentator saying "Andy Murray is playing really well, his Mum must have got him to take up sport because he was ginger and geeky looking". Why does appearance always have to come into it whenever women are discussed or written about (the tabloid headlines always talk about "Blonde mother of two, 25, did xxx" but never "Balding father of 4, 36, did xxx", do they?) but it's pretty much irrelevant when speaking of men.
Very funny, that gave me a chuckle, and it really points out the stupidity of it all when you put it like that.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Why does appearance always have to come into it whenever women are discussed or written about
Possibly because women themselves are obessed with their appearance and spend £billions each year trying to turn themselves into something that they are not.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 9:18 am
Concierge

Anyway...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-L6oOBbomp4...toli_Hot_2.jpg

Not a classic pretty - pretty perhaps but I bet there's quite a few women wouldn't mind looking like her.
Wouldn't kick her out of bed..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.