Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Not long now, getting really excited

Not long now, getting really excited

Old Jun 15th 2012, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not long now, getting really excited

Countdown Statistics

Me - 38 more work days to attend , Jill - 37

Leaving date 15 weeks tomorrow, yippee!!

We have just returned from our final recce. We revisited a couple of places to do a more in depth study, namely La marina near San Fulgencio and Benijofar/Rojales area.

We were sat next to someone on the flight over who has a holiday home on La marina and she invited us over for a cup of tea later that day, we were very grateful for that hospitality. We were quite impressed with the urb. as we drove to her house, it was very pleasant looking with a lively outlook and several areas of shops and bars. We returned later in our holiday to have a walk around to get the feel of the place and talk to the tourist office staff.
La marina urb. does not seem to be half as bad as it is painted for being 'little Britain'.
On our trip we encountered more French, Dutch and Scandinavians than British.
There is lots of affordable/available properties for long term rental and purchase. There is a very good network of year round bus services and lots of shops, bars and restaurants within walking distance.

Benimar, Benijofar, Rojales, & Ciudad Quesada is a very good area for our particular requirements. Benimar in particular we found very pleasant. Lots of suitable housing, lots of infrastructure, walking distance to Benijofar, Rojales, and Ciudad Quesada towns. Whilst we were looking round an English couple invited us in to have a look at their Maite style semi. We have been interested in this style of house for a while now and this visit reinforced our favourable opinion.

If anyone knows of a Maite up for long term rental in Benimar, after this summer season is over we would be very interested.

Letting agent came round today to measure up and take pictures of our house in UK that we are going to let long term.
Immediately after her visit we started dismantling our Ikea flat-pack furniture and packed several boxes with the furniture's contents, boy was that satisfying.

I've got a concert tomorrow with the brass band I play with, last but one gig, BBQ with my younger brother and his family in Hull for father's day on Sunday, and England, surprisingly pulled a win out of the bag. What a stonking weekend !!
Old Jun 16th 2012, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not long now, getting really excited

A great weekend by the sounds of it! good luck wth your move
Old Jun 16th 2012, 10:28 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

You are being very sensible in that you are arranging a long let on your property in England .. never burn your bridges and renting before considering buying in Spain is also a very sensible idea Good luck and keep us informed how everything goes for you, I wish you all the best
Old Jun 16th 2012, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to both of you. we have got a year and 2 weeks before the big move, and we are counting the days already.
Pete
Old Jun 16th 2012, 8:13 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

been here 6 months now, lost 1.5stone, feel fitter, have reasonable suntan, walking further every day, buying local produce is keeping the bank balance happy.
met up with someone last saw in Jan, she said I seemed happier, smiling at everyone, big difference.

enjoy yourselves I know I am

Old Jun 17th 2012, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light

We made the move at the end of February this year. As Dom says look better feel fitter and spending a lot less. I've only lost 1/2 stone though maybe I don't walk enough!

Even though OH has to go back every other month for meeting we hardly ever think about UK now. Except to check the weather and gloat :LOL.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 7:48 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sujee
We made the move at the end of February this year. As Dom says look better feel fitter and spending a lot less. I've only lost 1/2 stone though maybe I don't walk enough!

Even though OH has to go back every other month for meeting we hardly ever think about UK now. Except to check the weather and gloat :LOL.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you.
there is only the butchers and a bar (that sells gorgeous icecream) that are downhill from the house, and then its uphill after a tapas or several. everything (and this "village" really does have everything!) is up hill, some more than others.
there are times I think the doctor will pick up on the heart stress after the slog up the hill to see him but it seems my BP is dropping in addition to all the other improvements.

so perhaps its just living in a village on the side of a 1900k mini-mountain that is taking off the extra weight - but I did need to lose it, and a little more yet
Old Jun 18th 2012, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting comment on BP, I was on medication for it when I came out. After a month I was feeling ill so stopped the BP meds. Immediately I felt better so popped into a pharmacy to get it checked and lo and behold it was back down.

We live in the middle of nowhere so have to drive to the village but then everything is uphill so maybe the weight will go gradually, only another 4 stone to go! After all I am eating less (because it's warm), eating healthier (because it tastes so much fresher )and drinking more water and less caffeine.

Another interesting thing, I came out with a supply of anadin extra as its the only thing that dealt with my regular headaches. My supply ran out after the first month and I haven't needed any more as headaches have stopped. Apart from the odd one after a boozy night. Fewer of those too !!
Old Jun 18th 2012, 8:32 am

my uk gp was very dismissive about the effects of moving to Spain, but the Spanish gp is seeing me every month for checks before issueing the prescription. It used to be in the upper region of severe hypertension but is now down to only just over the line.

went thru a bad patch end dec and took myself off nearly all meds feeling crippled. came back on gradually and found a significent improvement without the Alopurinol (for gouty rheumatism). Havent taken a single tablet for 6m now and the legs etc are working better without it. Just wish I had done this back in the UK, but my marvellous NHS gp has had me on the same prescription for 10 years without having a medical or evaluation of what was going on, just a blood test every year or so.

yes, I have a different lifestyle, eat less (and no comfort food and between meals pigging out), eat better and fresh. We buy direct from the butcher meat that has no additives/preservatives. (Just look at the labels in Tesco/Sainsburys et al for their packaged "fresh" meat and see how much is added).
The walking every day helps enormously, the car wasnt started for 3 weeks. Hills accentuate the muscles in the legs

By the way, high BP can cause headaches, so if yours is down then there is less likelyhood of headaches, so no anadin extra needed.

I am not the only one to see an improvement in rheumatism, a friend of ours left the uk with severe symptoms expecting the outbreaks to remain but has hardly any problems now.