Reload this Page >

northern Spain advice

northern Spain advice

Old Mar 20th 2016, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

pippy99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default northern Spain advice

Hello
Me and the wife are looking at getting out of the UK for 6 months from October to get away from the dull weather here in the UK and coming to northern Spain, we are seeking advice. The kids have fled the nest so we want some quality time to ourselves. Both in our 50s we do not speak Spanish, and would like to be close to all amenities including pubs and restaurants.
We are occasional drinkers and like to socialize but not like the brit swamped areas of Spain where you find the idiot drinkers etc.
We are just working class folk so need to find inexpensive areas possibly where there are more Brits to mingle with.

Cheers Phil
Old Mar 21st 2016, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: northern Spain advice

Not quite sure why you've chosen northern Spain for 6 months as the weather could be somewhat more of the same as that which you're trying to escape from, which appears to be Devon. In general we have a milder climate than the UK and the growing season is a few weeks ahead.
I'm settled here, retired, because my wife is Basque and I also think it to be one of the best places in Spain; but I would say that, wouldn't I.
The Basque country is blessed with bars and restaurants catering for all purses, especially San Sebastian, which is also quite an expensive place. Close to France too, which can offer short trips for shopping, sight seeing.
You won't find the quantity of Brits here as you do on any of the Costas down south, though you do get a better feel for the typical Spain, whatever that might be. No all day breakfasts, no obese bare-chested promenade strollers, no UK food shops, etc, but then you state that you want to avoid that.
Knowing some Spanish will be a distinct advantage, otherwise you might quickly become very limited in day to day life. Would suggest you make a start now!
Coaches are cheap; for example a return from Bilbao to Madrid say, might cost around €60. Trains are cheaper than Britain.
The further west you go along the coast, the less expensive life becomes, for certain things, but then the weather in Galicia will likely be wetter than what you're used to, even in Devon.
I'm sure other 'expats' that live in Asturias or Galicia will be able to suggest interesting things.

Hope I've given you some food for thought. Don't be put off though!
Old Mar 21st 2016, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippy99
Hello
Me and the wife are looking at getting out of the UK for 6 months from October to get away from the dull weather here in the UK and coming to northern Spain, we are seeking advice. The kids have fled the nest so we want some quality time to ourselves. Both in our 50s we do not speak Spanish, and would like to be close to all amenities including pubs and restaurants.
We are occasional drinkers and like to socialize but not like the brit swamped areas of Spain where you find the idiot drinkers etc.
We are just working class folk so need to find inexpensive areas possibly where there are more Brits to mingle with.

Cheers Phil

Yes, not sure why you picked the North if you want to escape the so called dull weather. Depending where you are in Dorset, you'll find that most places are even duller/wetter especially in winter, but maybe you mean the Northern part of the East coast (Mediterranean Sea)?

Indeed above Barcelona, so the Costa Brava you will find it drier and sunnier than the UK, if that's what you mean with North.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't brand the whole of southern Spain as Brit chav infested. Sure there are the holiday resorts which attract the lower forms of Brit life but equally there are even more places on the Med coast and on the Atlantic coasts where they don't get to which have either Spanish or mixed populations. I think you will find that most expats also avoid the lager lout areas like the plague. Look for places like that and you will have far more choice of climate and location.

Mind you, what I have seen of the North of Spain it is a beautiful green place with mountains, beaches and agricultural countryside.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Northern Spain - Asturias

The weather from November-April is very similar to the UK, in fact pretty much exactly the same as Devon

It is much better from May to October, generally a bit sunnier and a little bit less overcast than the UK

The winters are milder and sunnier on the Northern Med Coast rather than the Atlantic Coast
Old Mar 21st 2016, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your advice .
Old Mar 21st 2016, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice , I thought the more south you go in Spain the hotter it gets. I dont like it too hot, but just looking to escape the cold winters of the UK with the idea of living in Spain for those 6 months in a nice area where there are Brits.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 9:20 am
Just Joined

thanks for the info
Old Mar 21st 2016, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice , I thought the more south you go in Spain the hotter it gets. I dont like it too hot, but just looking to escape the cold winters of the UK with the idea of living in Spain for those 6 months in a nice area where there are Brits.

In general yes, but it's not always the case and every region has a different climate. Along the coast it's obviously milder, but you can even get snow and more rain in the South, depending on location. It won't bee too hot during the time you want to go.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 10:26 am
Just Joined

pasionate2001 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just moved to La Cerdanya, in the Pyrenees. We are about 100 miles from Barcelona, on the French Border. Here is a micro climate with 300 days of sun a year, but not too hot. I cannot do the hot sunny weather of the coast (I imagine). We are here because of mountain sports, and the beautiful green countryside.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Bearing in mind it is now well into April so the winter is over, I would not consider Spain to be too hot from October through the winter.

https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin...st?query=spain

If you click on a location you can check the weather history eg.

https://www.wunderground.com/history...eqdb.wmo=08285
Old Apr 13th 2016, 5:30 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pasionate2001
We have just moved to La Cerdanya, in the Pyrenees. We are about 100 miles from Barcelona, on the French Border. Here is a micro climate with 300 days of sun a year, but not too hot. I cannot do the hot sunny weather of the coast (I imagine). We are here because of mountain sports, and the beautiful green countryside.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary