Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Non fishy tasting fish

Non fishy tasting fish

Old Jul 25th 2011, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non fishy tasting fish

When, after more than 20 years a vegetarian, I announced I wanted to try eating fish, a friend took it upon himself to initiate me. he suggested I start with very mild fish, grilled not fried, and cooked pargo. I have no idea what it would be in English, but it was perfectly edible to me and no, didn't taste of fish. I fact it didn't taste of much at all....
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Fred, thanks for the list - have eaten most if not all when we were in Spain. I did not know the was a difference in Pollack so will try again.
We return to Galicia for a couple of weeks soon. Where we get achoiced between farmed and wild Rodaballo and Lubina. Rodaballo in my view nearlybas good as Sole. Sardines! Goodness are they good in Spain, and as for percebes
We still miss the fish and I (sad old git that I am) miss the Spanish forum. Thanks for all the help
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I see your profile locates you in the Charente. Presumably that's the river in Brittany?

If so, lovely place, we know it well. We once took our yacht up to Rochefort and spent a pleasant two weeks there in the marina in August.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:55 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Fred, thanks for the list - have eaten most if not all when we were in Spain. I did not know the was a difference in Pollack so will try again.
We return to Galicia for a couple of weeks soon. Where we get achoiced between farmed and wild Rodaballo and Lubina. Rodaballo in my view nearlybas good as Sole. Sardines! Goodness are they good in Spain, and as for percebes
We still miss the fish and I (sad old git that I am) miss the Spanish forum. Thanks for all the help
Welcome back! Hope you get sunny weather in Galicia.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Stevie

Thank you. Well that did make me smile!

Fred - my geography is awful, and rivers in France are indeed long. We are between Poitiers (Poitou Charente) and Angouleme. Lots of swimming - suits me- but not too many yachts!
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

My favourite fish is Herrings simply fried with a nice salad one of the best meals going mind wouldn't know how to ask for them in Spain. Another favourite although rather smelly real Craster Kippers and as I live not far from Craster something I can easily get again just fried with bread and butter, doubt you can get them in Spain, although you no doubt you can get the boil in the bag variety but they are not real kippers.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

BTW - I do not change my view that Galicia is one of the most special places.
Unbelievable scenery. Beautiful tonws and cities.
Marvellous, friendly helpful and welcoming people.
Excellent food,
Great swimming and hiking.

And - just to go back on topic

THE BEST FISH IN THE WORLD.

(Sorry for shouting)
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Soory Bobd I did not see your post tll after

Yes me too. I did not find herrings in Spain, (although Spanish friends assure me one can). Kippers - yes in Al Campo, but very strange. I have found however them in France, priced anywhere from €6 to € 24 a kilo.

I do return to the UK fairly frequently for meetings, and always get a table to myself. Kippers seem not to be everybody's cup of tea, even at breakfast.

But I have to take issue on Craster - surely everyone prefers Manx?
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:49 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Bigglesworth, yes I can believe that. The Med is basically crap for fish - all the good stuff comes from the Atlantic.

Yes, it's the same Charente that we sailed up - lovely and with amazing melons.

To Bobd22 - Herrings are not common in Spain. You can get the occasional smoked herring vacuum packed in the supermarket but it's not a real kipper.

We are only 2 hours from Gib so they feature heavily on our shopping list at Morrisons alongside Smoked Mackerel and fresh and smoked Haddock.

You can get mail order kippers from the UK/IOM but you are taking a chance on the postage unless in the winter. We bought some Arbroath Smokies and the postmaster complained that the smell was driving him nuts - great though and still fresh!
Old Jul 26th 2011, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

But I have to take issue on Craster - surely everyone prefers Manx?[/QUOTE]

To be honest not too much difference whole kippers real smoked not dyed and flavoured fantastic. Plus craster is a beautiful little place lovely coastal walk up to Dunstanburgh Castle along the coastal path back to Craster pint and crab sandwich, pop over road buy your kipper for your tea. What more can you want. I believe they do them by post mind not to Spain.

Last edited by bobd22; Jul 26th 2011 at 11:12 pm.