British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Non fishy tasting fish (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/non-fishy-tasting-fish-726128/)

paintermujer Jul 24th 2011 12:10 pm

Non fishy tasting fish

Apart from bacalao and merluza can anyone recommend fish which dosent taste too fishy. Not including shellfish.

Can I have the spanish name please if anyone has suggestions and also suggestions on how to cook it in an appetising way.

Rosemary Jul 24th 2011 12:57 pm

Re: Non fishy tasting fish

Originally Posted by paintermujer (Post 9515594)
Apart from bacalao and merluza can anyone recommend fish which dosent taste too fishy. Not including shellfish.

Can I have the spanish name please if anyone has suggestions and also suggestions on how to cook it in an appetising way.

Like you I do not like fishy fish so tend to stay away from freshwater fish.
Lenguado grilled, barbequed or on la plancha with a little garlic olive oil basic but delicious. Make sure that the fish is a decent size though.
Good quality merluza fish finger butties, wonderful.:thumbsup:
Obviouly tuna and swordfish cooked as above.
Maybe it is me but I think that fish cooked with very light ingredients are better than heavy sauces.
Red mullet on a barby, brilliant as are sardines.

Hope that helps a little

Graham

Just remembered halibut.

Rosemary Jul 24th 2011 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9515688)
Like you I do not like fishy fish so tend to stay away from freshwater fish.
Lenguado grilled, barbequed or on la plancha with a little garlic olive oil basic but delicious. Make sure that the fish is a decent size though.
Good quality merluza fish finger butties, wonderful.:thumbsup:
Obviouly tuna and swordfish cooked as above.
Maybe it is me but I think that fish cooked with very light ingredients are better than heavy sauces.
Red mullet on a barby, brilliant as are sardines.

Hope that helps a little

Graham

Just remembered halibut.

He means atun, emperador also called mero and salmonete

Rosemary

jonboy Jul 24th 2011 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by paintermujer (Post 9515594)

Panga is really nice, easy to cook and cheap as chips! No lingering after taste and is great on its own fried or baked or cooked in a curry. It is shipped in from S.E. Asia. You will find it in Mercadona. It also goes under the name of Basa, Vietnamese Cobbler and its proper name is Pangusius, it's a Catfish.

Regards

jonboy

Fred James Jul 24th 2011 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9515756)
He means atun, emperador also called mero and salmonete

Rosemary

Emperador and Swordfish are different fish but very similar - Swordfish is more expensive.

Mero is Grouper. A great fish if you can find it. Pan fried is all you need to do as they are big fillets. Not cheap.

Try Rosada - it's imported from the South Atlantic. The most common way of cooking it is small pieces coated in coarse flour and deep fried - also good a la plancha. Again, a cheap fish.

Lots of fish is farmed in Spain or imported fresh from other farms in the Med such as Greece. Try Dorada (Bream). Grilled is best but if you don't like fish on the bone fillet it and pan fry. Lubina (sea bass) is farmed and comes in single person sizes! Again grilled or filleted. Mercadona do both Dorada and Lubina fillets. Compared to the wild fish Dorada is better than Lubina. Both very cheap - €6-€7 a kilo.

You can also buy small farmed Rodaballo (Turbot) - it mainly comes from northern Spain. Much smaller than the real thing but very good. It's like a big plaice but firmer texture. Grill the whole fish or pan fry the fillets. About €10/kg if you shop around.

Panga is imported from the far east and is a fillet off a Vietnamese catfish. Very cheap but not a lot of flavour. Some people have health issues with it because of the way it is farmed - Google it.

If you are happy with frozen fillets try Abadejo - Alaskan Pollock - Lidl do it. Nearly as good as Haddock or Cod but make sure it is Alaskan - the North Atlantic Pollock is a different fish and only good for catfood - in England it's Coley!

Rape (monkfish) is great and easily available. Not cheap but easy to fillet as it just has a central bone. Great in fish stews as it holds its texture. Also great as a kebab but marinate it in something first - garlic olive oil and lemon juice would be good.

Lisa (Grey Mullet) is good and cheap. The English don't buy it - they say it's muddy but the Spanish fish is good baked with lots of oil garlic and herbs.

Lenguado (Sole) has been mentioned. It's not as good as Dover sole but very cheap. We pay €6/kg for a fish that would feed two. It's not farmed but still cheap. I think a lot comes from the sandy waters of Morocco. The fishmonger will clean and skin it so just grill it with either butter or oil and garlic. Easy to eat off the bone.

Try small Calamari (Squid). East to clean once you have done it a few times. Pescanova (a brand) sell it ready cleaned frozen in most supermarkets. Cut into pieces and deep fry in coarse flour for no more than two minutes and serve with lemon. It's not chewy if you don't overcook it.

jonboy Jul 24th 2011 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 9515969)
Emperador and Swordfish are different fish but very similar - Swordfish is more expensive.

Mero is Grouper. A great fish if you can find it. Pan fried is all you need to do as they are big fillets. Not cheap.

Try Rosada - it's imported from the South Atlantic. The most common way of cooking it is small pieces coated in coarse flour and deep fried - also good a la plancha. Again, a cheap fish.

Lots of fish is farmed in Spain or imported fresh from other farms in the Med such as Greece. Try Dorada (Bream). Grilled is best but if you don't like fish on the bone fillet it and pan fry. Lubina (sea bass) is farmed and comes in single person sizes! Again grilled or filleted. Mercadona do both Dorada and Lubina fillets. Compared to the wild fish Dorada is better than Lubina. Both very cheap - €6-€7 a kilo.

You can also buy small farmed Rodaballo (Turbot) - it mainly comes from northern Spain. Much smaller than the real thing but very good. It's like a big plaice but firmer texture. Grill the whole fish or pan fry the fillets. About €10/kg if you shop around.

Panga is imported from the far east and is a fillet off a Vietnamese catfish. Very cheap but not a lot of flavour. Some people have health issues with it because of the way it is farmed - Google it.

If you are happy with frozen fillets try Abadejo - Alaskan Pollock - Lidl do it. Nearly as good as Haddock or Cod but make sure it is Alaskan - the North Atlantic Pollock is a different fish and only good for catfood - in England it's Coley!

Rape (monkfish) is great and easily available. Not cheap but easy to fillet as it just has a central bone. Great in fish stews as it holds its texture. Also great as a kebab but marinate it in something first - garlic olive oil and lemon juice would be good.

Lisa (Grey Mullet) is good and cheap. The English don't buy it - they say it's muddy but the Spanish fish is good baked with lots of oil garlic and herbs.

Lenguado (Sole) has been mentioned. It's not as good as Dover sole but very cheap. We pay €6/kg for a fish that would feed two. It's not farmed but still cheap. I think a lot comes from the sandy waters of Morocco. The fishmonger will clean and skin it so just grill it with either butter or oil and garlic. Easy to eat off the bone.

Try small Calamari (Squid). East to clean once you have done it a few times. Pescanova (a brand) sell it ready cleaned frozen in most supermarkets. Cut into pieces and deep fry in coarse flour for no more than two minutes and serve with lemon. It's not chewy if you don't overcook it.

Fred that is such a comprehensive post, thank you.

When googleing Panga look for any research re the claims about it being less than edible. I think that the adverse comments are mainly generated via U.S Catfish farmers who do not take kindly to having their prices undercut by "outsiders".

I will try some of your suggestions and look forward to tasting them.

Regards
jonboy

megmet Jul 25th 2011 12:44 am

Thank you Fred for that list.....I've often wondered what some of them were when at the excellent fish counter at our local Mercadona. :)

Lenox Jul 25th 2011 3:43 am

Cazón is really good (apparently in English it's called 'tope shark'). I must own to a dislike of the taste of panga. A restaurant around here advertises sole on its menu, which turns out to be panga.

ForHotspot Jul 25th 2011 6:11 am

I bought the white frozen fish fillet (skinless) from mercadona (1kg for 4,10). It's ever so tasty & doesn't smell of fish. After eating fish for nearly a whole year, I found that chicken is tasteless as we had meat when my daughters visited me. I'll certainly go back to fish.

paintermujer Jul 25th 2011 6:51 am

Wow. Thanks.:thumbsup:

noelrosie Jul 25th 2011 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Lenox (Post 9516793)
Cazón is really good (apparently in English it's called 'tope shark'). I must own to a dislike of the taste of panga. A restaurant around here advertises sole on its menu, which turns out to be panga.

We bought fresh panga not knowing what it was and ended up throwing it away after cooking it (didn't like the taste or texture) - having googled it, glad we did!

snikpoh Jul 25th 2011 7:55 am

Fred, what is the correct name for Swordfish? I've always (wrongly it seems) bought emperador and been a little disappointed with what was served.

BTW - google just gives a literal translation

Londonuck Jul 25th 2011 8:06 am

Try small Calamari (Squid). East to clean once you have done it a few times.

Cleaned one the other day and when i opened it up there was a crushed crab inside. Mr Squid was just about to have quite the painful poo! :)

A good way to cook fish, not overcooking and keeping it moist is putting it in a well sealed foil parcel with a splash of wine or water and some olive oil. Trout and Salmon are good for this method.

Had swordfish on Saturday... love it!

Lenox Jul 25th 2011 8:48 am

Swordfish is great tasting. It's usually called 'emperador' but can also be called 'pez espada'. Unfortunately, it has been over-fished and the catch are generally smaller ('runtier') than before.

Fred James Jul 25th 2011 8:50 am

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 9517063)
Fred, what is the correct name for Swordfish? I've always (wrongly it seems) bought emperador and been a little disappointed with what was served.

BTW - google just gives a literal translation

Swordfish is Pez Espada.

Emperador is very similar but is a different fish - Luvarus Imperialis. Many guides suggest they are the same but they are not. If you go to a decent fish market you will see both displayed and the Emperador is cheaper. The dark markings in the flesh are also different.

That said there is very little difference in the taste or texture especially as it is usually overcooked and covered in oil and garlic. It's a useful fish for a stew or curry as it holds its texture.