Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

No need to apply for residency

No need to apply for residency

Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice
Default No need to apply for residency

According to another website and EU law, EU citizens do not need to register as resident in Spain - is this true? Just checking as everything on this site points to registering after 3 months:

According to the ROYAL DECREE 240/2007, the following persons may reside in Spain without proof of Residence:

*Citizens of Members States of the EU (Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Chec Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Spain, Finland, France, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxemburg, Letonia, Lithuania, Malta, Portugal, Poland, United Kingdom and Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden) or countries, which are part of the European Economic Area Agreement (EEA)(Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland) who are employed or self employed or who are entitled to the right to reside permanently.

This also applies to the above mentioned groups’:
*spouses
*common law partner
*direct descendents
*direct ascendants
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:40 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No need to apply for residency

You are confusing right of residence with the requirement to sign on the register of foreigners - which all EU citizens must do.

This is the definitive answer - and it's in English!

http://extranjeros.mtas.es/es/Inform...ION_INGLES.pdf
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:49 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qwertyjjj
According to another website and EU law, EU citizens do not need to register as resident in Spain - is this true? Just checking as everything on this site points to registering after 3 months:

According to the ROYAL DECREE 240/2007, the following persons may reside in Spain without proof of Residence:

*Citizens of Members States of the EU (Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Chec Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Spain, Finland, France, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxemburg, Letonia, Lithuania, Malta, Portugal, Poland, United Kingdom and Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden) or countries, which are part of the European Economic Area Agreement (EEA)(Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland) who are employed or self employed or who are entitled to the right to reside permanently.

This also applies to the above mentioned groups’:
*spouses
*common law partner
*direct descendents
*direct ascendants
yes, I believe that's the law which replaced the old 'residencia' - we no longer have to apply for the right to live here

ROYAL DECREE 240/2007

however, on pages 7/8 part IV ESTANCIA Y RESIDENCIA article 2.13 it does say that if we remain here more than 3 months 'exercising our right to live here' we have to register on the Registro Central de Extranjeros

so yes, we do have to register after 3 months
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:09 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You are confusing right of residence with the requirement to sign on the register of foreigners - which all EU citizens must do.

This is the definitive answer - and it's in English!

http://extranjeros.mtas.es/es/Inform...ION_INGLES.pdf
lol you posted that while I was reading the law itself!!!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:23 am
Account Closed

St. John is an unknown quantity at this point

My Residencia, the good old plastic credit-card type, runs out in October this year. Do I have to renew it?
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:33 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by St. John
My Residencia, the good old plastic credit-card type, runs out in October this year. Do I have to renew it?
you can't renew it - you have to go & sign on the resident's list
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:35 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You can`t renew it, you will get a green sheet of A4 to replace it.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:43 am
Account Closed

St. John is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the information. Do I have to go to the Provincial Capital, in my Case Jaen, to do it or can it be done at a town hall or police station? Thanks
Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:53 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget, you can get a reduced size authorised copy and have it plasticised.

That way it fits into your passport without folding and will last indefinitely.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:47 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the information. Do I have to go to the Provincial Capital, in my Case Jaen, to do it or can it be done at a town hall or police station? Thanks
Usually in the local National police station.