Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

No longer living under the radar

No longer living under the radar

Old Jan 5th 2021, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No longer living under the radar

Originally Posted by missile
I don't need to access it. I was interested to learn that the Post Office is not the only source for obtaining IDP.
Gibraltar IDP's are not available at the Post Office but only from the link I posted earlier.
Also looking at my 1968 version it would appear to be valid for 3 years not the 2 I posted earlier.

Old Jan 5th 2021, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bolton wanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolton wanderer View Post
You do not need an IDP to drive here for periods up to 6 months. "

That's slightly disingenuous because you can't be here for 6 months unless you are resident and in that case you should have a Spanish licence.

IDP's are available from participating post offices in UK BUT can only be issued on sight of the valid UK licence they will be issued to accompany so for those not in UK that makes it all but impossible to obtain one.

If you are going to quote my post please read it first and quote in context. I stated that UK residents don't need an IDP in Spain for up to 6 months. UK residents should not have a Spanish licence.
Yes, if a non resident stays in Spain for longer than 90 days they are required to become resident. A UK resident can only visit Spain for up to a total of 180 days in any calendar year in order to retain UK residency.
My post stands as written.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
My post stands as written.
As does mine, until you can post an up to date official link that states that a UK resident requires an IDP to drive in Spain.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 3:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The rule is that you do not need an IDP unless you do not have a photo card licence issued in the UK.

Article from the BBC 3 days ago with a link to the current UK Govt site which confirms that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47459859

Please can we now finish with this discussion between just two members.
Old Jan 7th 2021, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

atlasthemonk is an unknown quantity at this point

The rule is that you do not need an IDP unless you do not have a photo card licence issued in the UK.

Fred you are as clear as mud....try repeatng that with fewer negatives
Old Jan 7th 2021, 11:32 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atlasthemonk

Fred you are as clear as mud....try repeatng that with fewer negatives

“The rule is that you do need an IDP unless you do have a photo card licence issued in the UK.”

At your request I have removed the negatives.

Happy now?
Old Jan 7th 2021, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

atlasthemonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you ...much appreciated...yes Im happy !