Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

No longer living under the radar

No longer living under the radar

Old Jan 4th 2021, 7:31 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default No longer living under the radar

I see many UK registered cars in Spain. I expect these will be stopped more frequently.

Brits visiting or living in Spain who do not have residencia should be aware their vehicle may be impounded if the driver cannot provide valid documentation.
Motorists and bikers should carry a valid Green Card and [size=13px]International Driving Permit (IDP) [/size]when they [size=13px]travel [/size]anywhere within the European Economic region. Incredibly, a recent survey conducted by the British Insurance Brokers’ Association (BIBA) and the Association of British Insurers (ABI) found that only a third of those asked had even heard of a Green Card and just 37% knew they would need to get one from 1 January.
[size=13px]You should ask your insurer for a green card and apply for an IDP which allows you to ride & drive in countries where a UK licence alone is not sufficient. An IDP can be obtained over the counter from the Post Office for £5,50[/size]
Old Jan 4th 2021, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No longer living under the radar

According to https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/in...driving-permit you do not need an IDP for Spain or Portugal for periods of less than 6 months

They are different versions for the two countries.

Spain requires a 1949 IDP

Portugal requires a 1968 IDP

However at the moment I am not sure which countries are insisting on these

N.B.
France None
If you hold a paper driving licence or a driving licence from Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man, you may need a 1968 IDP. Check with the French Embassy.

I have both IDP's to be safe and they cost me nothing

Last edited by Fredbargate; Jan 4th 2021 at 8:30 am.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 10:42 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I no longer have any trust or rely on information provided by the UK government and I do not believe the link you posted has been revised post Brexit(?)

In any event I doubt any proclamations made by www.gov.uk would persuade the officer who stops you. Given the apparent ambiguity, misunderstanding and arbitrary enforcement of the law, I would suggest anyone driving in Spain should obtain an IDP

Last edited by missile; Jan 4th 2021 at 10:49 am.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I see many UK registered cars in Spain. I expect these will be stopped more frequently.

Brits visiting or living in Spain who do not have residencia should be aware their vehicle may be impounded if the driver cannot provide valid documentation.
[size=13px]You should ask your insurer for a green card and apply for an IDP which allows you to ride & drive in countries where a UK licence alone is not sufficient. An IDP can be obtained over the counter from the Post Office for £5,50[/size]
Good advice re Spanish residents but IDP not required for UK residents. https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/in...driving-permit
" Spain (including Balearic and Canary Isles) None You do not need an IDP to drive here for periods up to 6 months. "
Old Jan 4th 2021, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bolton wanderer
You do not need an IDP to drive here for periods up to 6 months. "
That's slightly disingenuous because you can't be here for 6 months unless you are resident and in that case you should have a Spanish licence.

IDP's are available from participating post offices in UK BUT can only be issued on sight of the valid UK licence they will be issued to accompany so for those not in UK that makes it all but impossible to obtain one.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolton wanderer View Post
You do not need an IDP to drive here for periods up to 6 months. "

That's slightly disingenuous because you can't be here for 6 months unless you are resident and in that case you should have a Spanish licence.

IDP's are available from participating post offices in UK BUT can only be issued on sight of the valid UK licence they will be issued to accompany so for those not in UK that makes it all but impossible to obtain one.

If you are going to quote my post please read it first and quote in context. I stated that UK residents don't need an IDP in Spain for up to 6 months. UK residents should not have a Spanish licence.
Yes, if a non resident stays in Spain for longer than 90 days they are required to become resident. A UK resident can only visit Spain for up to a total of 180 days in any calendar year in order to retain UK residency.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 3:02 pm
Started off with nothing

UK residents don't need an IDP in Spain for up to 6 months.
I would not rely on information provided by the UK government. A UK resident cannot remain in Spain for longer than 90 days.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I no longer have any trust or rely on information provided by the UK government and I do not believe the link you posted has been revised post Brexit(?)

In any event I doubt any proclamations made by www.gov.uk would persuade the officer who stops you. Given the apparent ambiguity, misunderstanding and arbitrary enforcement of the law, I would suggest anyone driving in Spain should obtain an IDP
I agree missile that is why belts and braces I applied for both IDP's a year ago.
The 1949 IDP only lasts 12 months and I am awaiting it's replacement suposedly sent to me by registered post on Christmas Eve, whilst the 1968 IDP lasts 24 months.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 3:24 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the answer from the horse's mouth:

https://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/lang/en...glicences.aspx

As of January 1, 2021, the general rules governing driving licences will apply, under which licences issued by British authorities will entitle holders to drive in Spain for six months following their entry into the country, or from the date on which they obtain legal residence.
Now all you need to do is convince your friendly neighbourhood guardia civil of that.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 3:59 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by DLC
Here's the answer from the horse's mouth:

https://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/lang/en...glicences.aspx

Now all you need to do is convince your friendly neighbourhood guardia civil of that.
Good luck with that and he has a gun <LOL>
Old Jan 4th 2021, 4:01 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I agree missile that is why belts and braces I applied for both IDP's a year ago.
The 1949 IDP only lasts 12 months and I am awaiting it's replacement suposedly sent to me by registered post on Christmas Eve, whilst the 1968 IDP lasts 24 months.
Good plan. Where did you apply?
Old Jan 4th 2021, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Technically you have always needed either the green card or an IDP.

Its just that previously nobody ever asked for it.

I've driven my own car and my company car all over Europe and even once all the way to Russia (don't ask)
Never had an IDP but have been stopped multiple times and only ever shown my passport and UK driving licence.

Also when renting over the last 25years I've never ever been asked for one either. And that includes the US, Canada and Australia and I've been to all these places in the lady 12months. (although in the 80s Barbados made you pay for a local licence)

I'm thinking now the UK is a 3rd country you may get asked for one
Old Jan 4th 2021, 6:19 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Barriej
Technically you have always needed either the green card or an IDP.

Its just that previously nobody ever asked for it.

I've driven my own car and my company car all over Europe and even once all the way to Russia (don't ask)
Never had an IDP but have been stopped multiple times and only ever shown my passport and UK driving licence.

Also when renting over the last 25years I've never ever been asked for one either. And that includes the US, Canada and Australia and I've been to all these places in the lady 12months. (although in the 80s Barbados made you pay for a local licence)

I'm thinking now the UK is a 3rd country you may get asked for one
I have hired both car and motorcycle in USA & Canada never been asked for IDP. However, I would not chance it now.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Good plan. Where did you apply?
https://dvld.egov.gi/idp/

However I doubt that you can access it and even so it would be of little use to you
Old Jan 4th 2021, 9:13 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
https://dvld.egov.gi/idp/

However I doubt that you can access it and even so it would be of little use to you
I don't need to access it. I was interested to learn that the Post Office is not the only source for obtaining IDP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.