Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

NIE name change..

NIE name change..

Old Apr 9th 2012, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice
Default NIE name change..

My NIE is in my old married name, it the green A4 sheet type. (they did this as thats what was on my passport at the time) Jenny Deakin *alton..

now, I want to get it changed in to my name as it is now... Jenny Deakin

can I do this? has anyone done it recently and how, passport and driving licence is in current name, I have deed poll change of name certificate etc...

Only want to change it as property is going to be put in my name, and they seem to go on the NIE name, and I dont want them to do that....

Old Apr 9th 2012, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NIE name change..

I would pop into a local Gestor and ask them, might be easier to pay them a little to sort for you, good luck
Old Apr 9th 2012, 1:29 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Having been foolish enough to marry me, my wife tried to change her name on the various official documents - passport, driving licence, residencia, NIE, house deeds, bank accounts etc etc, and eventually our highly qualified Spanish abogado told us it was impossible under current Spanish law.

He advised us to leave everything as it was, but could deal with any individual cases separately should a problem arise in the future. It would just need an official letter from him, stamped and counter stamped by the relevant authority. And a visit to the notary, if I remember correctly.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

My sister did it recently but she had to use a solicitor and pay accordingly.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 10:45 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

as you are a UK national can you not just go to the Extranjero office and get it changed ?
you would then get a new credit card sized NIE.

If it was an NIF surely that would be more difficult.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 11:31 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
as you are a UK national can you not just go to the Extranjero office and get it changed ?

I think I'm really confused now. NIE's and NIF's are basically the same - they are referred to as NIF's when discussing financial matters (opening bank account etc.) and NIE's are for identification but the numbers are the same.

So why would it be more difficult?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 12:29 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I think I'm really confused now. NIE's and NIF's are basically the same - they are referred to as NIF's when discussing financial matters (opening bank account etc.) and NIE's are for identification but the numbers are the same.

So why would it be more difficult?
well it is my understanding that an NIE is for extranjero's (inc EEUU citizens)
whilst an NIF is a full ID card for a Spanish national

but more than willing to be corrected - JLFS ? ? ?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

well it is my understanding that an NIE is for extranjero's (inc EEUU citizens)
whilst an NIF is a full ID card for a Spanish national

but more than willing to be corrected - JLFS ? ? ?

DNI is the Spanish ID card
Old Apr 10th 2012, 2:30 pm

I stand corrected

http://www.practicalspain.com/NIE.htm

The Decree (Real Decreto 338-1990) of 9th March establishes that everyone, of whatever nationality, resident or not, who has any "official business" in Spain, must have a fiscal number (NIF/NIE) which is used to identify them on all official documents.

What is the difference between an NIE and NIF number?
People often talk about or ask for your NIE or NIF number. In actuality they are the same. The NIE is used for confirming your identification whereas, if you wish to carry out any fiscal function such as opening a bank account, buy a property, car, boat etc it is referred to as an NIF (fiscal) number. Application requirement and the document issued are the same.

NIF for Non-Resident Owners of more than one Spanish property
Non-resident taxpayers who own more than one permanent Spanish property must appoint a fiscal representative in Spain to act on their behalf on all dealings with the Spanish Tax Office called (Delegacion de Hacienda). The applicant must first attend a Spanish Consulate office in his home country where he must present his passport together with photocopies of all key pages, these copies must then be certified by the consulate.

In Spain the appointed fiscal representative must go to the police and present these certified photocopies together with a signed authorisation to act as the applicant's representative. He/She go through the normal process of applying for an NIF number for the applicant. Once issued this NIF number must be used in all dealings with the Spanish Tax Office on behalf of the applicant.

As Whitelinen has said, I was confusing with a DNI
so Snikpoh is right.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

moblies is an unknown quantity at this point

We were told to leave it, even the mortgage is in my wife's old name.

It's too much hassle to change it and would cost a small fortune.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:42 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

I thought that for Extranjeros, we simply got a useless A4 sheet of paper not a credit card NIE

Davexf
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:13 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

I thought that for Extranjeros, we simply got a useless A4 sheet of paper not a credit card NIE

Davexf
some offices have recently started issuing cards
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

Davexf
Granada is issueing credit card sized NIE's, it is a pop-out section at the bottom of an A4 sheet, they keep the rest of it.
had an old Visitors Badge in the drawer which had a slip in plastic outer so use that to protect it.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:32 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

But it´s paper not plastic? - does it have a photo on it? Therefore more useful than the A4 sheet

Davexf
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

But it´s paper not plastic? - does it have a photo on it? Therefore more useful than the A4 sheet

Davexf
it is a shiny very very thinly plasticised paper, laser printed, no photo, note on it says not for ID purposes
but more useful for putting in the wallet than an A4 or reduced laminated version.
have an A5 version of my passport photo page, in colour, laminated, to keep in the car and also to take out from time to time.
but never been asked for it.