Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

NHS medical cover for expats

NHS medical cover for expats

Old Aug 28th 2016, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: NHS medical cover for expats

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
If you are a UK pensioner in Spain registered with the local social security obviously a UK EHIC card is not valid and you should apply for a Spanish one through the Spanish social security. With Spanish EHIC in hand you then have access to the UK health system when you visit.
Quote:

"If you are a UK state pensioner living in Spain and registered for healthcare with an S1, the UK is responsible for issuing your EHIC to use on a temporary stay in the UK and a third EU country. For more information, telephone the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 191 218 1999".

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-in-spain
Old Aug 28th 2016, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Manclass is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gill556
My friend has just obtained residency and is now trying to arrange her SIP card.she was informed she needed her S1 form but it was kept by the police when she got residency. She has phoned DWP to request another and they have refused because she was told each time a form is sent out it costs £6,000.this was 2 days ago.

Didn't she take photocopies of it ?
Old Aug 28th 2016, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cymruambyth
Quote:

"If you are a UK state pensioner living in Spain and registered for healthcare with an S1, the UK is responsible for issuing your EHIC to use on a temporary stay in the UK and a third EU country. For more information, telephone the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 191 218 1999".

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-in-spain

I did this a few months ago, the card was sent to me here and I was told that if I visited the UK before the card arrived it wasn't a problem, if I needed treatment to phone the above telephone number. The Overseas Healthcare team are extremely helpful, if anybody is unsure of anything just give them a ring, they are happy to answer any questions,
Old Aug 28th 2016, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

gill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond repute

As from January 2016 the UK no longer issues UK pensioners living in Spain a EHIC card to visit the UK, it is not necessary. You only need a EHIC card if visiting other countries in Europe. Pensioners In Spain cannot get a card from Spain unless they are working in Spain.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gill556
As from January 2016 the UK no longer issues UK pensioners living in Spain a EHIC card to visit the UK, it is not necessary. You only need a EHIC card if visiting other countries in Europe. Pensioners In Spain cannot get a card from Spain unless they are working in Spain.

My EHIC card to have treatment when in The UK was sent to me in May 2016, as said previously I was told if I didn't have the card it wasn't a problem I would just need to phone the overseas healthcare team if I wanted to see a doctor or have treatment , but she said its easier with the card so she sent me one by post.