Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Newfoundland Dogs

Newfoundland Dogs

Old Mar 5th 2006, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

nEWFY is on a distinguished road
Default Newfoundland Dogs

Has anyone out there got Newfoundland dogs in Spain?
We are moving to Spain and will be bringing our 2 with us - are there any problems with the heat? Are there any clubs that do "water trials" etc?
Jenny and Phill
Old Mar 5th 2006, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Newfoundland Dogs

Originally Posted by nEWFY
We are moving to Spain and will be bringing our 2 with us - are there any problems with the heat? Are there any clubs that do "water trials" etc?
Jenny and Phill
I've no idea about Newfoundlands in Spain, but the country seems to be awash with Huskies - who seem to be something of a fashion accessory over there - so if they can manage, I dare say Newfoundlands can. They'll probably love the winter, though - winter in Spain, even in the South, can be bloody freezing.

Good luck with your move, I hope you and the dogs all enjoy it!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jenny & Phill,
Don't know if any information on Giant Breeds might be of use to you. See www.paw-patas.org and click on FAQ. I think they are based in Andalucia, but maybe the links will be a source of information. Is there a website for Newfoundland breeders/owners (google it, and see what comes up)? Try a spanish translation for Giant Breeds, and/or Newfoundland, ending your search with ".org or .es" Anybody out there know of this vocabulary?
Good luck!
Carol
Old Mar 7th 2006, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again,
I received some helpful information for your search: www.lanzadera.com/cetr
The "Club Espanol del Terranova" 's web page. There might be information on water trials under the heading "pruebas de salvamento nautico". The page opens with music!
Carol
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Newfoundland Dogs

Dear Carol and John
It was wonderful to get your reply. You've given us all the information we needed for swimming dogs and now know who to contact to join the Terranova Club. Can't thank you enough - thanks for all your time and help. Bethan and Hannah send their love - they'll now make new friends in Spain! regards
Jenny and Phill
Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hi again,
I received some helpful information for your search: www.lanzadera.com/cetr
The "Club Espanol del Terranova" 's web page. There might be information on water trials under the heading "pruebas de salvamento nautico". The page opens with music!
Carol
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

De nada!
Old Mar 13th 2006, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Jenny and Phill
Hi

We are headed to either Canada (subject to Immigration acceptance) or Spain. We were looking at the Newfies at Crufts on Saturday and my wife has wanted to buy one (or maybe 2) for a while. If we move to Canada we will buy over there, but if we move to Spain, we would like to buy in the UK.

Any suggestions on breeders to contact? They will be pets foremost, and we do not expect to show at Crufts, so championship pedigree is not that important, but we would like a good pedigree nonetheless.

Cheers

Graham
Old Mar 13th 2006, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Graham - a brilliant choice of dog - we have 2. Hanna and Beth are both rescue dogs.
If you decide to go to a breeder, if you search Newfoundland Breeders UK you will get a long list - some in the Cheshire area. (We live in North Wales). However, a word of warning - they are very expensive - up to £1000 and some breeders are disreputable - they may have a puppy farm out in the mountains where they overbreed their dogs. But, if you make sure you look at the pedigree and ask the breeder for other people she has sold to so you can speak to others about any particular breeder.

If you don't want a pedigree if you look at The Newfoundland Club site you will find details of their rescue section. All their dogs are vetted and only sold after a detailed home visit of you and your home. They will then try and match a dog to your home circumstances.

We got Hannah from the Newfoundland Club Rescue via the RSPCA. She had been kept alone in a yard for a couple of years but such is the temperament of this breed that she settled in with us very quickly (in about 10 mins) and has never looked back. We got Bethan via our local vets who had been asked to have her put down as the owner could no longer look after her. They get on fine and I would always suggest that 2 dogs are better than one.

Another word of warning - they moult profusely - all the time and many of them slobber. There is a story from the Club that all Newfy owners at some time take a pot of unopened yoghurst from the fridge, open it and find a Newfy hair in it!!! So, if you're very houseproud (or car proud) either buy 2 vacuum cleaners or reconsider the sort of dog you want. Apart from that, they are the most loveable, kind, tolerant breed I have ever known and wish I could have 10 of them.

They sleep, demand love, go mental when they see water i.e. ponds, streams, the sea, puddles or liquid mud, but reward all the attention they need with the amount of love they give back.
Hope this helps
Jenny and Phill
We are headed to either Canada (subject to Immigration acceptance) or Spain. We were looking at the Newfies at Crufts on Saturday and my wife has wanted to buy one (or maybe 2) for a while. If we move to Canada we will buy over there, but if we move to Spain, we would like to buy in the UK.

Any suggestions on breeders to contact? They will be pets foremost, and we do not expect to show at Crufts, so championship pedigree is not that important, but we would like a good pedigree nonetheless.

Cheers

Graham [/QUOTE]
Old Mar 13th 2006, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Graham - a brilliant choice of dog - we have 2. Hanna and Beth are both rescue dogs.
If you decide to go to a breeder, if you search Newfoundland Breeders UK you will get a long list - some in the Cheshire area. (We live in North Wales). However, a word of warning - they are very expensive - up to £1000 and some breeders are disreputable - they may have a puppy farm out in the mountains where they overbreed their dogs. But, if you make sure you look at the pedigree and ask the breeder for other people she has sold to so you can speak to others about any particular breeder.

If you don't want a pedigree if you look at The Newfoundland Club site you will find details of their rescue section. All their dogs are vetted and only sold after a detailed home visit of you and your home. They will then try and match a dog to your home circumstances.

We got Hannah from the Newfoundland Club Rescue via the RSPCA. She had been kept alone in a yard for a couple of years but such is the temperament of this breed that she settled in with us very quickly (in about 10 mins) and has never looked back. We got Bethan via our local vets who had been asked to have her put down as the owner could no longer look after her. They get on fine and I would always suggest that 2 dogs are better than one.

Another word of warning - they moult profusely - all the time and many of them slobber. There is a story from the Club that all Newfy owners at some time take a pot of unopened yoghurst from the fridge, open it and find a Newfy hair in it!!! So, if you're very houseproud (or car proud) either buy 2 vacuum cleaners or reconsider the sort of dog you want. Apart from that, they are the most loveable, kind, tolerant breed I have ever known and wish I could have 10 of them.

They sleep, demand love, go mental when they see water i.e. ponds, streams, the sea, puddles or liquid mud, but reward all the attention they need with the amount of love they give back.
Hope this helps
Jenny and Phill

Cheers

Graham
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Have PM'd you.

Cheers

Graham
Old Mar 15th 2006, 9:54 am
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

Jenny and Phill
Hey, know any good newfy jokes, been searching the web and can't find any!!! Can you believe it!
Old Mar 15th 2006, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Hugh O´Connell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

my wife and I moved here from Ireland three years ago and brought Baloo, our big male Newfie. Initially it was a bit of a shock for his system, we are living in Chiclana in the south. He found it very hard to keep himself cool, coming from Ireland there is no such thing as shade so it took him a while to figure it out. Unfortunatly with a full coat it was too much and we were very worried that his heart would not cope so now each spring he gets completely clipped right back almost to the skin. It is a bit of a shock both for us and for Baloo but he has such relief and now survives the summer quite comfortably.
Last time he was clipped he weighed 72 kilos before and 70 kilos after.
He generally sleeps indoors on a cool tiled floor during the day and gets a little active at night. He loves the winters.
If you have any other questions email me on [email protected].
Old Mar 20th 2006, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks. Can't imagine what a clipped Newf must look like but I guess we'llknow soon when we clip ours!
Jenny and Phill
Originally Posted by Hugh O´Connell
Hi there,

my wife and I moved here from Ireland three years ago and brought Baloo, our big male Newfie. Initially it was a bit of a shock for his system, we are living in Chiclana in the south. He found it very hard to keep himself cool, coming from Ireland there is no such thing as shade so it took him a while to figure it out. Unfortunatly with a full coat it was too much and we were very worried that his heart would not cope so now each spring he gets completely clipped right back almost to the skin. It is a bit of a shock both for us and for Baloo but he has such relief and now survives the summer quite comfortably.
Last time he was clipped he weighed 72 kilos before and 70 kilos after.
He generally sleeps indoors on a cool tiled floor during the day and gets a little active at night. He loves the winters.
If you have any other questions email me on [email protected].