Reload this Page >

Newby: direction please

Newby: direction please

Old Jun 30th 2007, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

guerrero is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newby: direction please

Hello.
After 17 years working for Her Majesty's goverment I have taken a payoff and am planning to full time in my motorhome (initially) in Spain. However because my pension doesn't kick in for another 11 years (60) I will need to suppliment my funds by working (anything considered!). Can some kind soul point me in the right direction as where to start looking for work or good websites etc.
Regards to all Guerrero.

Last edited by guerrero; Jun 30th 2007 at 12:19 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 12:28 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newby: direction please

Hello and welcome (he he I'm the first)

Just out of interest, and to help a bit with the work situation, what did you do for Her majesty?
Old Jun 30th 2007, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Hello Matt, I was 'protecting the morals of society (and also the revenues)' but as I said anything considered just looking for direction. Guerrero
Old Jun 30th 2007, 1:04 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guerrero
Hello Matt, I was 'protecting the morals of society (and also the revenues)' but as I said anything considered just looking for direction. Guerrero
a tax man?

I have said this a couple of times on here, and I will say it again, try and expand on what you already know. A career change is not easy at home, in Spain it is a thousand times harder.
Do you speak Spanish?

Do you already have something in mind?

Do you have an area in mind?

The endless questions can make it seem like a daunting experience but believe me, as hard as it can be to get there and survive, it is definitely worth it.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 2:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

The first thing to check out is your insurance for the motorhome, it has to be taxed, mot`d and insured in country of origin and it can only be in Spain for under six months before it needs changing to Spanish reg.
Also if you are in Spain for three months you will have to apply for a residency certificate and this would invalidate your UK ins.
Also you will need medical cover.... the list is endless.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 2:09 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello.
After 17 years working for Her Majesty's goverment I have taken a payoff and am planning to full time in my motorhome (initially) in Spain. However because my pension doesn't kick in for another 11 years (60) I will need to suppliment my funds by working (anything considered!). Can some kind soul point me in the right direction as where to start looking for work or good websites etc.
Regards to all Guerrero.
Welcome ..... my wife was in HM Revenue & Customs in Birmingham and took the same decision as you did. Luckily she was able to screw some money out of them
The motorhome is a brilliant idea, but as JDR says, take care with the insurance. You're probably with them already but try the Caravan and Camping Club but bear in mind the Spanish legalities
Old Jun 30th 2007, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
a tax man?

I have said this a couple of times on here, and I will say it again, try and expand on what you already know. A career change is not easy at home, in Spain it is a thousand times harder.
Do you speak Spanish?

Do you already have something in mind?

Do you have an area in mind?
Not quite but enough of that! si hablo español, I am not looking for a career change or pots of dosh, just to suppliment my funds so I can maximise my stay, maybe Bar management if someone wants a reliable mature, knowledgable person to look after their interests whilst back in the UK? something like that but anything legal considered. I have travelled in Spain many times and know the spanish psyche.
Muchas gracias, Guerrero.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 2:37 pm
Straw Man.

Not quite but enough of that! si hablo español, I am not looking for a career change or pots of dosh, just to suppliment my funds so I can maximise my stay, maybe Bar management if someone wants a reliable mature, knowledgable person to look after their interests whilst back in the UK? something like that but anything legal considered. I have travelled in Spain many times and know the spanish psyche.
Well then the world is your lobster.

Like the other boffins have said there is a whole world of legal bits to deal with, and I am sure you will.

Any ideas what area you are thinking?
Old Jun 30th 2007, 9:41 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure if you work cash in hand you declare it right
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:42 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

You might find work at campsites, places like animal refuges (the bigger ones) also sometimes have paid jobs going particularly when you have your own accommodation!
If it's a RHD motorhome you won't be able to put it onto Spanish number plates and even if it's a LHD motorhome you may have problems too - a friend is trying to do this at present...