Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Art for Arts sake....

Art for Arts sake....

Old May 22nd 2007, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Art for Arts sake....

...No really..
I have noticed in the short time I have been on the forum that a lot of you guys are wise, caring, sensitive, stubborn...or in other words...Artists.( no rugbymatt..P**s artists need not apply.)

I am sure many of you share a passion for Arts or Crafts, whether you are taking your first tentative steps in a new hobby or are a fully fledged pro...I thought from my own perspective it would be nice to be able to share knowledge and give advise to each other, and maybe even display your work via the gallery.
It can be lonely and intimidating when you have a whole load of paints, canvas, clay, patchwork, stamping etc laid in front of you...where do you start ??

What do you think....??

My starter for ten..I want to make a heavily textured picture using textiles, card, leaves etc, also using acrylic paints...I have bought a pre stretched canvas to work on...what do I do next ?, prime it ?..with what ?..PVA ?, diluted acrylic paint ?...see what I mean.

If you think this is a rubbish idea please say so, Bhudda has broad shoulders.

..I thank yow.
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:41 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Art for Arts sake....

Originally Posted by Bigbhudda69
...No really..
I have noticed in the short time I have been on the forum that a lot of you guys are wise, caring, sensitive, stubborn...or in other words...Artists.( no rugbymatt..P**s artists need not apply.)

I am sure many of you share a passion for Arts or Crafts, whether you are taking your first tentative steps in a new hobby or are a fully fledged pro...I thought from my own perspective it would be nice to be able to share knowledge and give advise to each other, and maybe even display your work via the gallery.
It can be lonely and intimidating when you have a whole load of paints, canvas, clay, patchwork, stamping etc laid in front of you...where do you start ??

What do you think....??

My starter for ten..I want to make a heavily textured picture using textiles, card, leaves etc, also using acrylic paints...I have bought a pre stretched canvas to work on...what do I do next ?, prime it ?..with what ?..PVA ?, diluted acrylic paint ?...see what I mean.

..I thank yow.
Never done this before myself but it sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun making your masterpiece. I think that you will probably need to prime the board with a watered down PVA like you have to before you paint on plaster moulds.

Rosemary
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:43 am
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

Can't give you much help about the canvas i'm afraid, one craft i've never tried! I have however tried a multitude of others, in fact am dreading sorting out the cupboard under the stairs before the move as its full of various 'crafts' hardwear I've put away and not used again! I do intend however to take up many of these again when in Spain, as I will have a bit more time on my hands. Are craft supplies fairly easy to obtain? things like acrylic paints, mosaic tiles card making bits and bobs?
Back to your question, I would think maybe to prime it with a base of acrylic paint, if its textured?
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Never done this before myself but it sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun making your masterpiece. I think that you will probably need to prime the board with a watered down PVA like you have to before you paint on plaster moulds.

Rosemary
Thanks Rosemary, that's what I was thinking but unsure that it might have an effect on the acrylics, like should I paint over it or under..I think suck it and see comes to mind..not the paint of course...

So do you think this thread is worthwhile ?..do you or hubs do anything crafty..oow err missus...
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:46 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silverchick
Can't give you much help about the canvas i'm afraid, one craft i've never tried! I have however tried a multitude of others, in fact am dreading sorting out the cupboard under the stairs before the move as its full of various 'crafts' hardwear I've put away and not used again! I do intend however to take up many of these again when in Spain, as I will have a bit more time on my hands. Are craft supplies fairly easy to obtain? things like acrylic paints, mosaic tiles card making bits and bobs?
Back to your question, I would think maybe to prime it with a base of acrylic paint, if its textured?
Like you we have a variety of craft things. So far we have not found much by way of suppliers of craft items but that might be because we have not been to Valencia or Alicante looking as we are still doing our house up.

Great idea for a thread though.

Rosemary
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:49 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Before you do it, can you do a rough sketch and sign it on a pm and send it to me, just in case you make it to the top.
Good luck. ;-)
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:52 am

...No really..

What do you think....??

..I thank yow.
OH has just looked in one of his acrylic art books and says to let you know that it says:

Canvas, wood panels, plywood, paper and card do not need primer. If using a very smooth surface such as metal or hardboard roughen surface with sandpaper. Mural painting can be done straight onto plaster surface.

Suspect that it very much depends on what you are doing first on the canvas.

Rosemary
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by silverchick
Hi Silverchick...I somehow thought you may have been artistic, don't leave anything behind you, with the new start in spain it will get you going again, I seem to remember MnM saying that you should bring paint with you, you should be fine with Mosaics, can't say about the other stuff, I am sure someone will tell us..what is your favorite craft/art...?...
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:57 am

Thanks Rosemary, that's what I was thinking but unsure that it might have an effect on the acrylics, like should I paint over it or under..I think suck it and see comes to mind..not the paint of course...

So do you think this thread is worthwhile ?..do you or hubs do anything crafty..oow err missus...
Great isea for a thread.

Yes, we are very interested in loads of different crafts as a hobby not doing anything serious.

I use watered down PVA as a primer for plaster moulds which are then painted with acrylic paint and this does not deter from the paint and after they are painted I always paint over with another layer of watered down acrylic as a sealant.

Rosemary
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Like you we have a variety of craft things. So far we have not found much by way of suppliers of craft items but that might be because we have not been to Valencia or Alicante looking as we are still doing our house up.

Great idea for a thread though.

Rosemary
Thanks Rosemary, will have to do a bit more research on Art/Craft supplies...with all those long hot afternoon's coming up...a blank canvas, a few paints..a glass of something cool...perfect for the creative juices...
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
Before you do it, can you do a rough sketch and sign it on a pm and send it to me, just in case you make it to the top.
Good luck. ;-)
BHUDDA..07 ***

That will be £37,000 please...
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Great isea for a thread.

Yes, we are very interested in loads of different crafts as a hobby not doing anything serious.

I use watered down PVA as a primer for plaster moulds which are then painted with acrylic paint and this does not deter from the paint and after they are painted I always paint over with another layer of watered down acrylic as a sealant.

Rosemary
Thanks Rosemary..you two really are crafty !!..thanks to hubby for the canvas advise..I will give it a go.I have a shop near me that sells the stretched canvas on frames really cheaply, obviously lower grade imported stuff but ok to play about with, what do you make with the plaster moulds, do you sculpt your own original..
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:25 am

Thanks Rosemary, will have to do a bit more research on Art/Craft supplies...with all those long hot afternoon's coming up...a blank canvas, a few paints..a glass of something cool...perfect for the creative juices...
A huge problem with acrylics it that they dry out very quickly in heat. A cheap way to slow this process is to create a palette by placing six layers of kitchen roll onto a large soup plate not bowl, well soak with water so that they are sodden but not floating. Put a layer of greaseproof paper on top and this is the surface on which you put your acrylic paint. Try not to take out too many colours or too much paint at the beginning because this is still not foolproof and they will still dry.

Graham
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:28 am

Thanks Rosemary..you two really are crafty !!..thanks to hubby for the canvas advise..I will give it a go.I have a shop near me that sells the stretched canvas on frames really cheaply, obviously lower grade imported stuff but ok to play about with, what do you make with the plaster moulds, do you sculpt your own original..
You are joking....me sculpt an original... I am not artistic enough for that. No I have bought pre moulded stuff and painted them for the children's wall and have brought some with me to paint for our house.

Rosemary
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

...No really..

What do you think....??

..I thank yow.

Hi
I actually made some modern art for our home and i only used paint pot testers from B&Q.
I then painted my main colour over the canvas and then with masking tape coloured the bits in i wanted.

And to be honest the amount of ppl who ask where i got it from as they love it, has been nearly everyone who has seen it.

Its my own work and it saved me a fortune on buying ones already done
xxxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.