Newbies

Old Dec 7th 2014, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Deb5and is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbies

Hi all we are Debbie and Andy from norfolk uk we are new on here and would appreciate any information from yourselves regarding giving up living in the uk and moving to Spain or Canary Islands we would be looking at doing this for retirement so any info would be great as its a big step being as we both are getting older in life but also a exiting prospect .. Thanks
Old Dec 7th 2014, 12:39 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbies

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Dec 7th 2014, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deb5and
Hi all we are Debbie and Andy from norfolk uk we are new on here and would appreciate any information from yourselves regarding giving up living in the uk and moving to Spain or Canary Islands we would be looking at doing this for retirement so any info would be great as its a big step being as we both are getting older in life but also a exiting prospect .. Thanks
Welcome.
First, you'll need to decide WHERE you'd like to retire to. That could depend on climate, proximity to English speakers, your interests.
Second, having decided the above, rent somewhere to begin with, so as to get a feel for the area.
Third, do you intend to live the rest of your lives in Spain/Canaries, with all the implications such as care in later life and death, dare I say.

I live in the north (Basque country) because my wife is Basque. I couldn't live permanently in the south of Spain as it's too hot & there is too much of a tourist/expat culture. But that's me. We have everything we need here, including good weather, proximity to France, skiing in the Pyrenees, mountain walking, etc even though the annual rainfall is around 1000mm (cf East of England = 600mm). So my allotment doesn't have a water problem.

These are just a few things you might consider. I'm sure other people on the website will have other good suggestions.
Best wishes
PS where in Norfolk are you?
Old Dec 7th 2014, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Deb5and is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply we would be looking when we retire to become resident in either southern Spain or poss the canaries but yes we would need to be either in or near a English speaking community as well as near doctors shops ect but equally not right in a busy tourist area in the summer season so possibly a nice town that has the above in canaries or southern Spain we currently live in a small village called ringland near norwich
Old Dec 7th 2014, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

pedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Deb and welcome to the forum.

I wish you luck in your venture and if I may, I would like to offer my tuppence worth.

I live in Southern Spain between Alicante and Murcia. There is a huge ex pat community here, all along the coast. Despite this, you still need to plan for language issues, assuming you do not speak Spanish.

Firstly, if you have never lived in Spain and/or are not familiar with life here, I would strongly recommend that you rent for a few months first. It is also a good idea to try living here in the winter months, the houses are notoriously cold as they are not built to insulate.

Secondly, do your homework regarding health care and costs related to it. The rules for eligibility for the excellent health service in our region are often confusing. Private health cover comes with many hidden charges, again, do your homework

Make sure you have sufficient income and support for yourselves in the event of illness or infirmity. There is little to no support from the state for foreigners.

If you decide to buy, for heaven's sake, tread very carefully, do NOT cut corners and do not believe anything you are told by the so called profesionals here until you have double checked everything. From the outset they may well offer to cut corners for you saying that is how things are done here. IF they do, walk away. There is little in the way of regulation of professions such as lawyers, banks, notaries, builders, agents and just about anyone else you happen across. Assume everyone is trying to screw you and you will not go far wrong. It can be done but don't go in trusting them.

Tax matters are changing, so depending on what assets you have back in the UK, make sure you are paying what you should. It is so easy to fall foul of the system, which often appears to make it up as they go along.

Be very very patient and do not expect anything of a procedural nature to happen sensibly or quickly, there is a myriad of paperwork to get through and having a good representative is vital, I cannot stress that enough, vital, to your successful transition.

Family separation at retirement can be hard, bear that in mind.

Sounds awful but needn't be, I have learned the hard way that the system is full of sharks and it has cost me just about everything. I am not the rule, neither am I an exception but there are hidden pitfalls to moving here that you must be aware of. Take your time, look at a place with more than a tourist eye and get an independaent legal adviser. NEVER use one recommended by an agent or seller.

If you are sensible and do things properly, the chances are you will have a fabulous life in Spain or wherever you decide on. Just don't expect the regulation and guarantees you have become accustomed to.

Old Dec 11th 2014, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Anna Collins1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I also live in southern Spain between Malaga and Marbella, loads of expats down here and not just in the coastal towns. Many of the little villages a few km inland attract expats because it is a lot cheaper to live there generally speaking and many people want to live somewhere that doesn't attract the influx of tourists in the summer months.

The other side of Malaga, towards Nerja/Granada is so much less built up and touristy and there are some lovely places to settle with fewer expats too for example Torrox and the village of Frigiliana. Property is considerably cheaper this side of Malaga too and yes I would also advise on renting first.

If you need any help on any specific areas around Malaga, let me know or check out this Malaga travel guide: Malaga Travel Guide - Explore the Costa del Sol

Good luck...
Old Dec 11th 2014, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Deb5and,
I would simply reitterate the model of renting before buying.
I´ve lived in Spain for four years, I´m at my third address and I´m still considering my fourth! And that´s with having a Spanish wife that knows more about the areas than I do.
I know many people that have retired here and many are very happy.
Amongst them, I´ve met those that moved over and quickly purchased a property that on the face of things looked ideal.
Only when realising how certain areas can change with the seasons did they become regretful!
A couple that moved from Australia purchased a flat in a quiet urbanisation and everything seemed perfect. Until summer arrived! Many residents moved out to let their flat to holiday makers. Also, come August all the Spanish arrived! Their quiet little urbanisation suddenly seemed like living in what they described as "a bloody disco!"
Winters get chilly which is when you realise how poorly insulated many of the buildings are.
I fully agree with pedro pete when he says rent for a few months. Though I would suggest renting for a full 12 months! Only then will you learn the pro´s and con´s as well as learning if this is really what you want.
For me, after my four years here, the UK holds zero appeal. I love life here with all it has to offer. I hope you find the same.
Good luck!
Old Dec 11th 2014, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deb5and
Thanks for the reply we would be looking when we retire to become resident in either southern Spain or poss the canaries but yes we would need to be either in or near a English speaking community as well as near doctors shops ect but equally not right in a busy tourist area in the summer season so possibly a nice town that has the above in canaries or southern Spain we currently live in a small village called ringland near norwich
It's always personal choice, but I wouldn't recommend moving to a small island permanently unless you're 100% sure and have tried it before. Island living can be great, but it's not for everyone. It also depends how big the island is (UK) and what type of living you're looking for. I've noticed that most people feel trapped after 3 years and from then it just gets worse. I think mainland Spain is a better choice and there you have all options. As Retired in Euskadi mentioned, climate is also a thing to consider. While most brits just want heat for holidays, living there permanently is different. North of Spain seems nice if you want to escape the madness. We picked the Costa Brava and although it's just a holiday home for now, I could see myself living there permanently. It's still 16 C with sunshine right now and you don't have the water shortages like the south, so it's also greener. Plenty of forests, nice coastal walks and being so close to Barcelona for shopping is also a benefit. Just do your homework and I'm sure you'll make the right decision.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

gardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nice

As above. Rent for 12 months or more, you might consider it a waste of 4/5 or 6000 euros but it might save you considerably more in the long term.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

shazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond repute

if you rent it will give you more time to look for the right place to buy win win
Old Dec 17th 2014, 9:38 am
Relocationist

Wise Man is an unknown quantity at this point

I would not recommend to move to the islands (specially Canary) for your retirement. It is always better and safer on the continent. Especially if you have healt issues.
I would recommend Costa Blanca region, the climate is the best in Spain, more consistent and warmer than in Costa del Sol region. There they have strong influence coming from the ocean. The water there is colder than in Costa Blanca. We live in Alicante and we are very happy. The city is large enough to get good services and entertainment, and small enough to move and feel freely.
I would certainly recommend it for anyone.

Last edited by Wise Man; Dec 17th 2014 at 9:40 am.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 9:46 am
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

The weather in Costa del Sol is better, with milder winters than Costa Blanca. I think you have your wires crossed?
Old Dec 17th 2014, 9:58 am
Relocationist

In what sense it is better? It is certainly not warmer, as it has strong ocean (which is much colder) influence, the winds are stronger, and there are less sunny days jus more rainy days.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 10:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wise Man
In what sense it is better? It is certainly not warmer, as it has strong ocean (which is much colder) influence, the winds are stronger, and there are less sunny days jus more rainy days.
I stand corrected.
Costa del Sol receives approx 50 days of rain per annum v´s 37 days in Alicante.
On a personal note, and speaking for everything growing in my garden, I´m grateful when the rain comes!
Old Dec 17th 2014, 10:29 am
Relocationist

I also love plants. We use watering systems here and the plants grow all the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.