Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Newbie - The Plan

Newbie - The Plan

Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

turtlez is just really niceturtlez is just really niceturtlez is just really niceturtlez is just really niceturtlez is just really niceturtlez is just really niceturtlez is just really niceturtlez is just really niceturtlez is just really niceturtlez is just really niceturtlez is just really nice
Default Newbie - The Plan

Hello Everyone.
The Wife and I are planning to sell our UK property and move to Spain in Oct/Nov this year.
We are looking to rent for six months whilst searching for a suitable and affordable re-sale in the Oliva/Pego area (having a weeks holiday in Denia in May to look at this area and others)
Hopefully, we will be able to survive and make ends meet on our modest Company Pensions/Savings and possibly, if necessary, find part-time income when we have learnt more Spanish. Our Daughter will be joining us in 2008 which means we will have no Family in the UK.
Although I have browsed this and other Forums for a some time, I still have many concerns and anxieties (eg. should we delay the move till we are closer to Retirement age (I am 56 and the Wife is 53), should we have more financial security, will we find the right property - the list goes on !!
Any advice and guidance from members of the Forum will be most appreciated.

Many thanks
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie - The Plan

Originally Posted by turtlez
Hello Everyone.
The Wife and I are planning to sell our UK property and move to Spain in Oct/Nov this year.
We are looking to rent for six months whilst searching for a suitable and affordable re-sale in the Oliva/Pego area (having a weeks holiday in Denia in May to look at this area and others)
Hopefully, we will be able to survive and make ends meet on our modest Company Pensions/Savings and possibly, if necessary, find part-time income when we have learnt more Spanish. Our Daughter will be joining us in 2008 which means we will have no Family in the UK.
Although I have browsed this and other Forums for a some time, I still have many concerns and anxieties (eg. should we delay the move till we are closer to Retirement age (I am 56 and the Wife is 53), should we have more financial security, will we find the right property - the list goes on !!

Many thanks
Hi,
I cant give you any advice as my own experience out there did not go to plan, however i would like to welcome you and good luck xxxxx
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:08 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Everyone.

Many thanks
HI and welcome

Do not delay retirement as you never know what the future holds ? While your fit and active is the time to enjoy life not keep watching the pennies so as your kids benefit..
Your decision to rent first is sensible,likewise a good resale is sensible ..

Any questions you have will be speedily answered by the team here ,who have a wealth of information at your request ..

Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:14 pm
Banned

Douglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really nice

Hello Everyone.

Many thanks
It is to close to the holiday season to rent,for the time you want to relocate,rent in september if you want to do it for six months,experience the Spanish winter,your blood will thin,this is the best time to buy,between,Sept&March,do your homework,need to know this is really what you want,try to learn the language,not easy if not there on a day to day basis,good luck.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

turtlez is just really niceturtlez is just really niceturtlez is just really niceturtlez is just really niceturtlez is just really niceturtlez is just really niceturtlez is just really niceturtlez is just really niceturtlez is just really niceturtlez is just really niceturtlez is just really nice

Thanks for the replies so far Miss Naughty, Big Pete and to Douglas Jack ( D.J.the intention is to rent Oct/Mar, for the reasons you state)
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:23 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies so far Miss Naughty, Big Pete and to Douglas Jack ( D.J.the intention is to rent Oct/Mar, for the reasons you state)
Just out of curiosity why you moving from Uk and why Spain ?
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:29 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Everyone.
Many thanks
We're in the same sort of age bracket as you and it was the right decision for us. You can live here for a lot less than the UK, thereby making it easier to retire early. I also live in the area you are looking at, so if you need any local info don't hesitate to ask.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Big Pete, several reasons for the move, one being something of a compromise between ourselves and our Daughter (unmarried) - we can't afford to move closer to her in "that London" and she can't afford to move out (Catch 22) Therefore the compromise is to move to Spain where we hope to resume our family life. Another reason is that I consider our Country to be totally b*llocked and sliding rapidly down the pan. Spain ? - if its good enough for The Beckhams its good enough for us !!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:38 pm
Banned

Big Pete, several reasons for the move, one being something of a compromise between ourselves and our Daughter (unmarried) - we can't afford to move closer to her in "that London" and she can't afford to move out (Catch 22) Therefore the compromise is to move to Spain where we hope to resume our family life. Another reason is that I consider our Country to be totally b*llocked and sliding rapidly down the pan. Spain ? - if its good enough for The Beckhams its good enough for us !!
Thats true ...

I see Mitz has spotted you , you will be in good hands there ask Mitz and you wont go wrong hes one of the sensible ones ..
So good luck turtlez ..
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:39 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
you will be in good hands there ask Mitz and you wont go wrong hes one of the sensible ones ..
So good luck turtlez ..

Not sure if thats something to be proud of
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Not sure if thats something to be proud of
That was a compliment Mitz
And you should be honoured
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Everyone.

Many thanks
Very good idea to rent first - lots of people dont (me included) and in hindsight wished I had

have look here for rental places and PM me if you would be interested in renting a little further away from Oliva/Pego - 10 mins from Gandia and I will give you the details of a place I know of

you will need to make sure you have adequate health cover - do a search as there have been many lengthy discussion about it in the past
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:49 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by spain
you will need to make sure you have adequate health cover - do a search as there have been many lengthy discussion about it in the past
Private health care for your age group will be about 100 euros a month with, for instance, Sanitas.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:51 pm
Banned

Douglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really nice

I dont no the area that you want to move to but,Mitzy boy is there,he can guide you sounds genuine,allways rent out of holiday season ,better going when the weather is crap,then you no what to expect ,weather wise the sun dont shine all the time,six months is a good start base,visit as much as you can after you find what you think you want ,good posters here to help,some downers, homework is very very important,good luck people are here to help.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what we did. Being only slightly younger than your good selves, and having paid off our mortgage. We took financial advice and re- mortgaged our UK house on an interest only basis and used the cash raised to buy our Spanish property.
Therefore no "bridges" were burnt.
We have until 2016 before we have to re-pay the re-mortgage amount.
By this time we should have decided whether we wish to stay in Spain, or return to the UK.
In the meantime both properties should hopefully have increased in value, and it will just be a case of deciding which one to sell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.