Reload this Page >

Newbie Greek going to Spain

Newbie Greek going to Spain

Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

alexpennos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie Greek going to Spain

Γεια σε ολους σας!(Hello to everyone!)
I ended up to this forum/conversation site, because i found out the has the most participants, and I am sure i will definitely find some (if not all) answers to my questions!
Straight to the point now...I am moving to spain the next month in order to work as a researcher for a research department in Murcia. As far as I understand, I will be working there as self employed, taking a monthly salary and giving back to the university an invoice for my services. The annual amount of my salary will be around 40,000 euros (pre-taxed) and of course the biggest question is how much will be the tax for this amount of money. Another question is about the social security cost.
I do not expect an exact answer on the amount, but an approximation would be great.
Finally, is anybody from Murcia here? What about the living cost there? Any trusted sites for home searching?
Sorry for all these questions, but any info would be helpful!
Thank you in advance!
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:35 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie Greek going to Spain

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Oct 28th 2011, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexpennos
Γεια σε ολους σας!(Hello to everyone!)
I ended up to this forum/conversation site, because i found out the has the most participants, and I am sure i will definitely find some (if not all) answers to my questions!
Straight to the point now...I am moving to spain the next month in order to work as a researcher for a research department in Murcia. As far as I understand, I will be working there as self employed, taking a monthly salary and giving back to the university an invoice for my services. The annual amount of my salary will be around 40,000 euros (pre-taxed) and of course the biggest question is how much will be the tax for this amount of money. Another question is about the social security cost.
I do not expect an exact answer on the amount, but an approximation would be great.
Finally, is anybody from Murcia here? What about the living cost there? Any trusted sites for home searching?
Sorry for all these questions, but any info would be helpful!
Thank you in advance!
Welcome, and it's good to see someone posting who's got a job to come to! Much the most sensible way of doing things, unless you've got pots of savings or pensions or whatever. Well done you (researching what? I'm intrigued).
Hopefully somebody from Murcia will happen along, though I would think general prices apart from housing will be remarkably similar everywhere.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:22 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexpennos
The annual amount of my salary will be around 40,000 euros (pre-taxed) and of course the biggest question is how much will be the tax for this amount of money. Another question is about the social security cost.
Assuming basic allowances the tax will be about €8300. There will be a small reduction on this as you can offset any social security payments.

I personally have no knowledge of exactly what these contributions would be for a salaried employee. I am sure someone else will know.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:24 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - welcome to the forum. My guess is that the cost of living is lower in Murcia than in say Barcelona or Madrid, as the main industries are agriculture and tourism? Not too sure how that would compare with your home town - do you come from a big city or small village in Greece?
If you think you'll miss ouzo, the closest thing is Anis, and you can get a dry as well as sweet version.
Good luck in your new job! I'm sure you'll manage well, 40,000 goes a long way even in somewhere like Madrid.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 10:33 am
Just Joined

alexpennos is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all people for your encouraging messages and useful info! I really thank you!
Another last thing: Is there any chance this is for real? I mean I found many houses similar to this on the same price and I am wondering if these sites are fraudulent. They seem too good to be true!
http://www.idealista.com/pagina/inmu...Inm=2&edd=list

Last edited by alexpennos; Oct 29th 2011 at 10:37 am.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 11:37 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Murcia, in general, is considered one of the poorer parts of Spain. Some parts of it, usually near to the coast, have large expat populations living in 'expat' houses that are not to everyone's taste.

The example shown on the website seems normal for that particular area.

With an income of 40K, you could afford to live anywhere in Spain, in comfort.