Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Newbie First Post

Newbie First Post

Old May 16th 2008, 5:52 am
Just Joined

fergy has a brilliant futurefergy has a brilliant futurefergy has a brilliant futurefergy has a brilliant futurefergy has a brilliant futurefergy has a brilliant future
Default Newbie First Post

Hi Guys, Ive been visiting the site for a while and found the info and banter very good.

I am about to complete on a property in the Villamartin area in a couple of weeks and have a question to ask re Air Conditioning.

Ive had 3 quotes over the net for a ducted A/C install with 2 units , one up and one downstairs. The quotes Ive had are all about 4000 euros (either Panasonic or Daikin units)

Does this price seem reasonable or are these guys trying to fleece a foreigner?

Do you have any recommendations of installers?
Old May 16th 2008, 6:09 am

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbie First Post

Originally Posted by fergy
Hi Guys, Ive been visiting the site for a while and found the info and banter very good.

I am about to complete on a property in the Villamartin area in a couple of weeks and have a question to ask re Air Conditioning.

Ive had 3 quotes over the net for a ducted A/C install with 2 units , one up and one downstairs. The quotes Ive had are all about 4000 euros (either Panasonic or Daikin units)

Hi Fergy and welcome to BE

I think those prices sound reasonable to me.........did you get them from English or Spanish aircon firms?
Old May 16th 2008, 6:10 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Why don`t you try living in the house first and see if you really need it ?
Old May 16th 2008, 6:11 am
Just Joined

fergy has a brilliant futurefergy has a brilliant futurefergy has a brilliant futurefergy has a brilliant futurefergy has a brilliant futurefergy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Same Difference
Hi Fergy and welcome to BE

I think those prices sound reasonable to me.........did you get them from English or Spanish aircon firms?
Thanks for the welcome SD.

Those are from english based companies, one is using a spanish installer and one is british. Any reason for the question?
Old May 16th 2008, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
Why don`t you try living in the house first and see if you really need it ?
Is it not too hot in the summer?
Old May 16th 2008, 6:19 am

Thanks for the welcome SD.

Those are from english based companies, one is using a spanish installer and one is british. Any reason for the question?
I still thing the price is ok, but if you are using a middle man then there will probably be commission added on. Try going direct to a couple of different companies and see what quotes come back then.

I find I dont use it in summer but I do use it a lot in winter. Jdrs advice was good advice......move in and wait a while and see how you get on.
Old May 16th 2008, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

I wouldnt be without it in the summer, our lounge is upstairs and would be unusable for 3 months of the year and the same goes for the winter.
Old May 16th 2008, 7:31 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome Fergy.
Installing my air con was the best thing I did. Cool if you need it and warm air too in the winter. Heat pump is more economical than direct heating. Difficult to comment on installation costs as it all depends on how much building work in involved. All you can do is to get a couple of quotes and compare.
Old May 16th 2008, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Spanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to behold

We will be using air con for the first time this summer,is it costly to run?,ie electricity...
cheers
John.
Old May 16th 2008, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Spanish John
We will be using air con for the first time this summer,is it costly to run?,ie electricity...
cheers
John.
I dont use it in summer cos I like the heat but in winter our biggest bill was €180 for 2 months for the electric.
Old May 16th 2008, 8:34 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spanish John
cheers
John.
There is no substitute for basic heat control, ie keeping doors and windows closed when the real heat is outside and opening the house up in the early hours when or if the cool air comes around. I cant sleep when the bedroom air goes over 25 C and we manage the heat as best we can but use the air con to bring it down if necessary just during the late evening. The electric use does depend on the power of your unit of course and it is excessive if you have it on all the time and allow the hot air outside into the house. Mostly I can just see the rise in electric use in July, August and Sept but for me it is well worth it.
Old May 16th 2008, 10:18 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Our hot / cold aircon unit cost just over €2k iirc, I cant give you the details as I cant find the paperwork though. Its strong enough to heat a lounge and cool most of the 2 bed floor, but to be honest as above I'd see if you need it first. We rarely use ours.