Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New year and grapes

New year and grapes

Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:31 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New year and grapes

Originally Posted by bil
There's a trick to it. The grape goes in, pips and all, and it's a case of mush and swallow. I hate the idea of crunching the pips, so I just crush the grape against my palate with my tongue.

The grape sellers are to be congratulated on creating the custom . A brilliant marketing ploy.
Ahhhhh - I knew there had to be something good about seedless grapes in the UK.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:32 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
No NO NO

you can retake the test anytime you want, but till then.............not even swearing in Galleo will make a difference to your status.

Sorry, rules is rules.
pedant
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:34 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I have loads of sunflower seeds in the house (inside the hamster food).

Normally I steal them from the hamster at the start of summer to plant them in the garden but I am going to try and shell one in my mouth now. Watch this space .............

I think I might make sure there is a big bunch of grapes in the house for new year too and when most of my family are happily tipsy I will tell them to play the grape game as Big Ben starts the countdown
As Bevs in NZ has pointed out they do grapes in NZ (but she means getting taked up on wine)

So it could be said that in Italy you "do grapes too"

Of course I dont mean all Italians, some are nuns etc...........
Just in case the usual disclaimer stands.

Jose Lius
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:35 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
pedant

Isnt, that a thing that you hang around your neck??
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:38 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt, that a thing that you hang around your neck??
nah

a pedant would be a bit heavy
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:38 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

As Bevs in NZ has pointed out they do grapes in NZ (but she means getting taked up on wine)

So it could be said that in Italy you "do grapes too"

Of course I dont mean all Italians, some are nuns etc...........
Just in case the usual disclaimer stands.

Jose Lius
Oh yes - we're big on grapes here - and when the Italians have finished making wine from the grapes - they make Grappa from the leftovers.
The nuns probably get plenty of wine too.

Managed to happily shell the sunflower seed inside my mouth but ended up spitting the seed out along with the shell.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Oh yes - we're big on grapes here - and when the Italians have finished making wine from the grapes - they make Grappa from the leftovers.
The nuns probably get plenty of wine too.

Managed to happily shell the sunflower seed inside my mouth but ended up spitting the seed out along with the shell.

Your are half Spanish then, welcome to my country, you will soon progress is sounds as though you are doing far better than some who like to think that they are intergrated, because their children speak Spanish.
(I wont mention any names)

And they have been here for yonks. Well done. Keep trying you will get there in the end.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:43 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I do the grapes every year, because I want the luck it brings. I’ve integrated in a couple of other ways too, I don’t wear socks in the summer, or underpants.

We’re about to go into town to go to the bank and then buy slimming biscuits and a few other things. Then we’re going to have a meal.

That’s where the integration starts to waver. A Spanish buffet libre is often our choice, but it’s quite a long walk from our parking place, and along the way we pass this little English café that does fish and chips, and a load of tapas bars overlooking the sea.

We could have some small tapas and a small cool beer, I suppose, and then have the fish and chips, but then we may as well return the slimming biscuits to the slimming shop.

Actually, it’s not just a slimming shop, it’s a Spanish slimming clinic, she gets weighed and had liposuction once. It didn’t work, and was something like three grand down the drain, and it was even more because it was in Pesetas.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by HBG
I do the grapes every year, because I want the luck it brings. I’ve integrated in a couple of other ways too, I don’t wear socks in the summer, or underpants.

We’re about to go into town to go to the bank and then buy slimming biscuits and a few other things. Then we’re going to have a meal.

That’s where the integration starts to waver. A Spanish buffet libre is often our choice, but it’s quite a long walk from our parking place, and along the way we pass this little English café that does fish and chips, and a load of tapas bars overlooking the sea.

We could have some small tapas and a small cool beer, I suppose, and then have the fish and chips, but then we may as well return the slimming biscuits to the slimming shop.

Actually, it’s not just a slimming shop, it’s a Spanish slimming clinic, she gets weighed and had liposuction once. It didn’t work, and was something like three grand down the drain, and it was even more because it was in Pesetas.
Eh ??? Does that mean Spanish men don't wear underpants when it's hot?
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:47 am
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Anyway I am getting to the stage where the whole thing on here is getting beyond stupid.................

WTF would I know anyway?
I came to the same conclusion.

Only you and a few others are the reason for my conclusion.

I would re-read your replies and ask why, it may well be because you consciously or unconsciously got right up there nose.

Don`t complain when others do the same back, its not good to bully only to complain when you get it back.

Did I spell that all correct for you, this time.

When i was in Spain we buy the seedless grapes in the can that you get in the big supermarkets, there peeled and made specially for new years eve.

Last edited by chulo; Dec 9th 2009 at 8:50 am.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:47 am
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG

Bur can you do the sunflower seeds? if not sorry you will still be on the non intergrated list.
I did not make the rules by the way.

Giving a sob story does not help your case either, it was funny to read though.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:48 am
Banned

Originally Posted by chulo
I came to the same conclusion.

Only you and a few others are the reason for my conclusion.

I would re-read your replies and ask why, it may well be because you consciously or unconsciously got right up there nose.

When i was in Spain we buy the seedless grapes in the can that you get in the big supermarkets, there peeled and made specially for new years eve.
well now that you ask you did spell "there" wrong..........twice

but as I am Spanish WTF would I know?
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:49 am

Not for me you didn't.

It should be their nose.

Sorry - but I just couldn't resist that. It was far too tempting even for a good girl like me
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:51 am
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

I dig a hole and you all feel in.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:53 am
Banned

I dig a hole and you all feel in.
some of us could have fell in too.

or in yor speek sum of us cud of fell in two.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.