Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New year and grapes

New year and grapes

Old Dec 9th 2009, 6:36 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default New year and grapes

It is getting to the point that, it is becoming very difficult not to get a load of grief for posting on this forum.

I wanted to ask the question about what folks have got planned for the new year, but have decided against it.

I was going to ask if anyone had adopted the Spanish custom of eating grapes at midnight along with the chimes.

Then I thought NO NO NO you cannot post something a sweeping as that, because do I mean ALL Spanish people do this?

Well I then thought, no they do not, some women might be in labour, babies are too young, there will folks hooked up to life support machines, others fighting fires, some too pissed, others committing crimes, some will be bonking, and for thousands of other reasons cannot eat the grapes.

So my question will not be asked because eating grapes I now realise that as it is not done by EVERYONE I cannot say “as they do in Spain.”

Anyway I am getting to the stage where the whole thing on here is getting beyond stupid.................

WTF would I know anyway?
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:00 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New year and grapes

Is there a reason for the grapes?

I mean - why grapes and not say, walnuts?
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:08 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Is there a reason for the grapes?

I mean - why grapes and not say, walnuts?
Good morning Lorna, nice to see you around these parts.

As for your question obviously you have never tried to shove 12 ediible morsels in your mouth folling the beat of the 12 chimes at midnight on New years eve.

If you had, the walnut senario would give you nightmares. The health service would collapse with all the people who would choke to death, whist trying to celebrate the new year.

I think it should be changed to peas, that would make it much easier, because you dont have time to swallow the grapes, and there is quite a knack to it.

So then, do you do anything daft in Italy when the chimes strike?
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:17 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Good morning Lorna, nice to see you around these parts.

As for your question obviously you have never tried to shove 12 ediible morsels in your mouth folling the beat of the 12 chimes at midnight on New years eve.

If you had, the walnut senario would give you nightmares. The health service would collapse with all the people who would choke to death, whist trying to celebrate the new year.

I think it should be changed to peas, that would make it much easier, because you dont have time to swallow the grapes, and there is quite a knack to it.

So then, do you do anything daft in Italy when the chimes strike?
Well blow me - I didn't know you meant shove 12 grapes in your mouth all at the same time. Never tried anything like that and I don't think I will either. It might be a laugh watching others try to do it though.

The biggest New Year Eve tradition I can think of in Italy (apart from eating and drinking) is that you are supposed to wear bright red underwear. All the shops in the run up to Christmas and New year are full of red underwear.

An older tradition was to throw something old and unwanted from your windows. That's something not really done anymore although I've heard that people in Naples can still get a bit crazy.

There is always lots of noise at midnight with fireworks and kids out with handfulls of bangers called 'petardi'.

I spend most of my New Years back home with family in the UK.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:27 am
Banned

Well blow me - I didn't know you meant shove 12 grapes in your mouth all at the same time. Never tried anything like that and I don't think I will either. It might be a laugh watching others try to do it though.

The biggest New Year Eve tradition I can think of in Italy (apart from eating and drinking) is that you are supposed to wear bright red underwear. All the shops in the run up to Christmas and New year are full of red underwear.

An older tradition was to throw something old and unwanted from your windows. That's something not really done anymore although I've heard that people in Naples can still get a bit crazy.
There is always lots of noise at midnight with fireworks and kids out with handfulls of bangers called 'petardi'.

I spend most of my New Years back home with family in the UK.
They are called petardos by some people in Spain.

Very similar to your Italian word.

I like the idea of throwing something old and /or unwanted out of the window.
Would that give someone immunity from prosecution if the old/unwanted object was the mother-in-law?

Please let me know because I still might have time to set this up in time for this year. Flights will have to be booked and a hotel room at least on the 8th floor.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:34 am

Don't think it includes your Mother-In-Law
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:38 am
Banned

Don't think it includes your Mother-In-Law

Oh well never mind, well my next question is now redundant, because I was going to ask if you knew of nice high rise hotel, that stays open on New years eve.

Although it is not the answer I was looking for, thank you very much anway, and have a great Christmas and New year.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:42 am

Oh well never mind, well my next question is now redundant, because I was going to ask if you knew of nice high rise hotel, that stays open on New years eve.

Although it is not the answer I was looking for, thank you very much anway, and have a great Christmas and New year.
Thanks - you too.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:45 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

It is getting to the point that, it is becoming very difficult not to get a load of grief for posting on this forum.

I wanted to ask the question about what folks have got planned for the new year, but have decided against it.

I was going to ask if anyone had adopted the Spanish custom of eating grapes at midnight along with the chimes.

Then I thought NO NO NO you cannot post something a sweeping as that, because do I mean ALL Spanish people do this?

Well I then thought, no they do not, some women might be in labour, babies are too young, there will folks hooked up to life support machines, others fighting fires, some too pissed, others committing crimes, some will be bonking, and for thousands of other reasons cannot eat the grapes.

So my question will not be asked because eating grapes I now realise that as it is not done by EVERYONE I cannot say “as they do in Spain.”

Anyway I am getting to the stage where the whole thing on here is getting beyond stupid.................

WTF would I know anyway?

don't stop asking questions because of a couple of pedants!!

it is after all a spanish custom, even if everyone doesn't do it!!

I don't do the grape thing

I've tried
I can't

the first time I tried I was stupid enough to try ordinary grapes complete with pips!

I can't even manage the tiny tinned ones
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:46 am
Banned

Originally Posted by lynnxa
don't stop asking questions because of a couple of pedants!!

it is after all a spanish custom, even if everyone doesn't do it!!

I don't do the grape thing

I've tried
I can't

the first time I tried I was stupid enough to try ordinary grapes complete with pips!

I can't even manage the tiny tinned ones
Thanks for that, but it is becoming a bit of a chore having to choose your words with such care, so a to avoid a lod of crap.

Do you really want to know how to tell if someone is really intergarated into the Spanish customs?
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:51 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Actually. I am interested in this. Have you found this to be still a customary custom? A bit like first footing for the Scots.

I find the idea charming. The world needs its differing customs & they are to be celebrated.

New Zealand Maori have a custom of flying kites for the Maori New Year but that doesn't happen Dec 31st . It is called Matariki

My Mum was Irish through and through and we had some quite odd things for new year. Actually new year was also Halloween as well as Dec 31st.

As for the other stuff . Use the ignore button if needs be and then enjoy the rest. If not , come visit with us in New Zealand.

We do grapes
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:52 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, but it is becoming a bit of a chore having to choose your words with such care, so a to avoid a lod of crap.

Do you really want to know how to tell if someone is really intergarated into the Spanish customs?
go on then
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:54 am
Banned

go on then
Ask them to eat sunflower seeds.

If they hold it between their fingers to bite and then separate the shell with the fingernail, then the are still a newcomer.

If they can open the sunflower seed in their mouth and then spit the shell more than 1.5 meters, I would probably say that they are one of us.

The language is not a true test of integration………….it is a ploy to make folks feel bad and spend money learning the language.

Disclaimer(of course not all Spainsh people can eat sunflower seeds in this way, as some are old, toothless, allergic etc)
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:57 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Ask them to eat sunflower seeds.

If they hold it between their fingers to bite and then separate the shell with the fingernail, then the are still a newcomer.

If they can open the sunflower seed in their mouth and then spit the shell more than 1.5 meters, I would probably say that they are one of us.

The language is not a true test of integration………….it is a ploy to make folks feel bad and spend money learning the language.

Disclaimer(of course not all Spainsh people can eat sunflower seeds in this way, as some are old, toothless, allergic etc)
there you go

my kids are integrated........................................

and they speak the language too
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:58 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

go on then
Is it necessary though?

I live in New Zealand. No chance of doing the big 'integrating' thing and so what if we don't. We do our best & try to understand the new country we live in. Doesn't stop us going to a Hungi this weekend though & bugger anyone who feels we haven't a place here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.