Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New UK EHIC cards for residents

New UK EHIC cards for residents

Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:11 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New UK EHIC cards for residents

Originally Posted by Cats-R-Us
Sorry if I am being thick but:
You are not being thick - just confused (like thousands of others) by the letter you received.

They may have changed the system but they are still using the old (UK resident) letter.

You will have full access to the NHS under the conditions laid down for the EHIC and, no, you don't have to send it back because you are no longer UK resident.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:15 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Can anyone clarify the current Spanish policy with regard to Emergency treatment for visiiting Brits,(non Spanish Res) with an EU emergency health card?

"Presenting the EHIC entitles you to treatment that may become necessary during your trip"

Details at:--

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...iscovered.aspx
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 12:57 pm
Banned

crustycrab is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get the EHIC card if you are under pensionable age. I am living proof of this and I am 43. I did not even request one, as I knew nothing about it, but was sent a form to fill in which I sent back and received my card.

Maybe it is because I am on Long Term Incapacity Benefit which I exported to Spain with no problems what-so-ever, along with my CB and CTC.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lisainspain
You can get the EHIC card if you are under pensionable age. I am living proof of this and I am 43. I did not even request one, as I knew nothing about it, but was sent a form to fill in which I sent back and received my card.

Maybe it is because I am on Long Term Incapacity Benefit which I exported to Spain with no problems what-so-ever, along with my CB and CTC.
It is precisely due to the fact that you get IB (or similar) that you received the form to apply for the EHIC from the UK. My wife is in a similar position to you - well under "pension" age, exported IB, DLA etc, and now gets EHIC from UK rather than Spain. Pensioner does not necessarily mean over 60/65. My wife is classed as a pensioner here (much to my amusement and her annoyance).
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 1:33 pm
Banned

crustycrab is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shaggymon
It is precisely due to the fact that you get IB (or similar) that you received the form to apply for the EHIC from the UK. My wife is in a similar position to you - well under "pension" age, exported IB, DLA etc, and now gets EHIC from UK rather than Spain. Pensioner does not necessarily mean over 60/65. My wife is classed as a pensioner here (much to my amusement and her annoyance).
I know how she feels. I think I need to have a blue rinse and wear a twin-set and pearls.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread but I have an aversion to unnecessary duplication so here goes on the old thread.

We are having problems renewing our TSE (tarjeta sanitaria europeen i.e.spanish EHIC) cards which expired recently. We have SIPS cards on the strength of my wifes employment in Spain and that entitles us to spanish TSE cards. The TSE cards expired recently (they were only valid for a year) and we are having problems renewing them.

In the situation where a person age 62 in receipt of a U.K. state pension works in Spain and pays spanish social security contributions, who is responsible for issuing their TSE/EHIC??
Old Jun 6th 2010, 4:13 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petew
I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread but I have an aversion to unnecessary duplication so here goes on the old thread.

We are having problems renewing our TSE (tarjeta sanitaria europeen i.e.spanish EHIC) cards which expired recently. We have SIPS cards on the strength of my wifes employment in Spain and that entitles us to spanish TSE cards. The TSE cards expired recently (they were only valid for a year) and we are having problems renewing them.

In the situation where a person age 62 in receipt of a U.K. state pension works in Spain and pays spanish social security contributions, who is responsible for issuing their TSE/EHIC??
I think the rules have recently changed (or are about to) and it's now the UK who issue you with an EHIC card even though you live in Spain.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 4:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I think the rules have recently changed (or are about to) and it's now the UK who issue you with an EHIC card even though you live in Spain.
That`s correct. contact HERE
Old Jun 6th 2010, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Does this apply to someone who works in Spain and has a Spanish SIPS card. I looked at the NHS website and it states " if you live in another EU member state and the U.K. government covers the cost of your healthcare...........etc" - which doesn't apply to someone paying spanish social security. Anyway I am going to see my gestor tomorrow so hope to get a definitive answer.

Last edited by petew; Jun 6th 2010 at 4:43 pm. Reason: error
Old Jun 6th 2010, 6:49 pm

If you work in Spain or have a Spanish pension you can get a Spanish EHIC.

If you are claiming a UK pension and have used a E121 to get healthcare in Spain then you apply through the UK.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Do you know of an actual instance where somebody receiving a U.K. pension and also paying spanish social security has received a Spanish TSE card?

I am not saying you are wrong until I find out more about the INSSs' apparent refusal to renew our TSE cards.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 8:05 pm

Although no longer paying Spanish SS a good friend gets a Spanish pension (having paid Spanish SS for a number of years) in addition to his UK pension.

He has a Spanish EHIC card as his Spanish pension gives him full healthcare rights in Spain.

Last edited by Fred James; Jun 6th 2010 at 8:07 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 9:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Although no longer paying Spanish SS a good friend gets a Spanish pension (having paid Spanish SS for a number of years) in addition to his UK pension.

He has a Spanish EHIC card as his Spanish pension gives him full healthcare rights in Spain.
As does their UK pension, so they should be able to get either, that is the problem, neither dept knows what to do.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdr
As does their UK pension, so they should be able to get either, that is the problem, neither dept knows what to do.
I think that might be the problem. I hope to find out more in the next day or two.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Silvery is an unknown quantity at this point

It is the country that provides your healthcare in Spain that provides the EHIC.

If a person is in receipt of UK state pension but is also working in Spain, presumably then they will not have registered an E121 [now renamed S1, and to which they are entitled] so Spain is providing the healthcare. So Spain provides the EHIC.

If said person has any problems with getting this, they should register an S1, available by phone from International Pension Centre 0044 1912187777 and once the registration is completed in the UK, an application for an EHIC will be posted out.

Last edited by Silvery; Jun 6th 2010 at 10:32 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.