Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New UK EHIC cards for residents

New UK EHIC cards for residents

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default New UK EHIC cards for residents

For those who are applicable,
New EU rules mean that those receiving pensions from the UK will need a new EHIC card, I'm assuming those affected will be notified by post.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 12:15 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New UK EHIC cards for residents

It only affects residents who were issued E121s by the UK.

They are currently sending out the application forms.

It comes into effect on May 1st.

Current Spanish cards were only issued to expire on or before Feb 28th 2010 as that was the original date of the changeover. Anyone wishing to travel between Feb 28 and May 1 will need to get another Spanish card from INSS to cover the two months.

Hopefully INSS have been advised of the delay in issuing cards from the UK - if not then there could be a problem getting a card for that two month period.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fred James
Hopefully INSS have been advised of the delay in issuing cards from the UK - if not then there could be a problem getting a card for that two month period.
They have. Spain is issuing temporary paper "cards" to cover this period. My wife's application form for the UK card arrived a few days ago. The cards will be issued in April for a May start.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 12:33 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
For those who are applicable,
New EU rules mean that those receiving pensions from the UK will need a new EHIC card, I'm assuming those affected will be notified by post.
There was a thread a few months ago where DWPinspain explained all about this.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 1:16 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Sorry I just stared another thread about this, but whist I was preparing the info this thread was stared.

The other thread has ben remoived.

This is what I had said:-

As stated in another thread, the card will now be issued by the home country not where one has residencia.

Thus, English Nationals (don't know about Scots etc) will get it from Newcastle.

I have just received my application form from Newcastle. I did not request it nor have I had one before..

I called Newcastle as there was no mention of my wife, who is my dependant and is thus in the Spanish Health System. They said the application forms for dependants will be sent out shortly.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johncar61
Sorry I just stared another thread about this, but whist I was preparing the info this thread was stared.

The other thread has ben remoived.

This is what I had said:-

As stated in another thread, the card will now be issued by the home country not where one has residencia.

Thus, English Nationals (don't know about Scots etc) will get it from Newcastle.

I have just received my application form from Newcastle. I did not request it nor have I had one before..

I called Newcastle as there was no mention of my wife, who is my dependant and is thus in the Spanish Health System. They said the application forms for dependants will be sent out shortly.
Did you read my mind ?
I can`t understand why the dependants forms cant`be sent at the same time or even a multi application form or is that too bloody simple ?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:23 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jdr
Did you read my mind ?
I can`t understand why the dependants forms cant`be sent at the same time or even a multi application form or is that too bloody simple ?

Guess all 'great minds' think alike.

As you said, can't image why not just one mailing with all the appellation forms necessary. Maybe they had some 'posting budget' to use up !!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:41 pm
Banned

I was just told by a friend (so may not be gospel) that the new EHIC issued by Newcastle will have a 10 year validity,
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:31 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Well I guess we will all find out when it arrives.

The old one was valid for 5 years, unlike the Spanish one which was valid for only one year.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Silvery is an unknown quantity at this point

The UK issued card will be valid for five years.

Mailouts are staggered so that Newcastle isn't inundated with calls all at once. Dependants are getting their own letters but husbands and wives can hang fire and send both applications in the same envelope. Your domestic healthcare isn't affected at all.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 3:12 pm
What mysterious smile?

La Joconde is an unknown quantity at this point

We heard from a friend who´s neighbours are 77 and 79 years of age and British living on the costa, that they are in a serious state of panic, as they have received a letter from the DHSS saying that they would no longer pay for their treatments or prescriptions.

The 77 years old gentlemen called the DHSS and was told very rudely by a an operator that this was correct which caused them a lot of stress, no explanation.

Another friend is going to contact the DHSS on their behalf to try to sort this out. Thank goodness.

Does anyone knows about any such changes or anyone who has also received this type of letter which is very worrying especially for the elderly?

Thanks to all.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 3:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by La Joconde
We heard from a friend who´s neighbours are 77 and 79 years of age and British living on the costa, that they are in a serious state of panic, as they have received a letter from the DHSS saying that they would no longer pay for their treatments or prescriptions.

The 77 years old gentlemen called the DHSS and was told very rudely by a an operator that this was correct which caused them a lot of stress, no explanation.

Another friend is going to contact the DHSS on their behalf to try to sort this out. Thank goodness.

Does anyone knows about any such changes or anyone who has also received this type of letter which is very worrying especially for the elderly?

Thanks to all.
When I spoke to the DWP in UK they said the arrangement for medical cover in Spain is not affected, its only that in future the reciprocal health card will be issued in UK.

It would seem the couple you know ma have got the wrong end of the stick.

I just read the letter I got. Maybe the confusion is in the last paragraph, which says each country has different rules .................

But as the couple are in Spain and presumable have residencia here and medical cover as a result of an E121, nothing has changed for them as far as their cover is concerned.

Last edited by johncar61; Feb 11th 2010 at 3:29 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 3:37 pm
What mysterious smile?

La Joconde is an unknown quantity at this point

Thans for the quick response. I will call the person who told us about it, and make sure that they pass on the info, so that the the elderly couple have a more relaxed weekend till their friend are able to call the DHSS on their behalf. We live a long way so we cant help, if not I would have done so, just to reassure them.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by La Joconde
Thans for the quick response. I will call the person who told us about it, and make sure that they pass on the info, so that the the elderly couple have a more relaxed weekend till their friend are able to call the DHSS on their behalf. We live a long way so we cant help, if not I would have done so, just to reassure them.
Phone here, Overseas Healthcare Team 0044 191 218 1999 and ask for clarification, I think they will find there is a misunderstanding.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Ex-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I received my letter today with my application form.

No letter for my hubby.

I was not surprised.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.