Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New UK EHIC cards for residents

New UK EHIC cards for residents

Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

DWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to all
Default Re: New UK EHIC cards for residents

Originally Posted by La Joconde
We heard from a friend who´s neighbours are 77 and 79 years of age and British living on the costa, that they are in a serious state of panic, as they have received a letter from the DHSS saying that they would no longer pay for their treatments or prescriptions.

The 77 years old gentlemen called the DHSS and was told very rudely by a an operator that this was correct which caused them a lot of stress, no explanation.

Another friend is going to contact the DHSS on their behalf to try to sort this out. Thank goodness.

Does anyone knows about any such changes or anyone who has also received this type of letter which is very worrying especially for the elderly?

Thanks to all.
If they are registered on an E121 in Spain, nothing is going to happen to their healthcare in Spain. Reassure them and tell them to ring the Overseas Healthcare Team or the British Consulate in Alicante.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Silvery is an unknown quantity at this point

They couldn't have had a letter from DHSS as it no longer exists. It does not say anything about not getting your free healthcare or prescriptions anymore.

The letters are going out individually, and dependant E121 people, as I said earlier, are getting theirs later. I imagine the address database doesn't allow for couples to be paired up before sending.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 6:35 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silvery
They couldn't have had a letter from DHSS as it no longer exists. It does not say anything about not getting your free healthcare or prescriptions anymore.

The letters are going out individually, and dependant E121 people, as I said earlier, are getting theirs later. I imagine the address database doesn't allow for couples to be paired up before sending.
Well the paperwork was sent to the same address in Spain and the same address is on the paperwork in the SS office in Spain.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 7:36 am
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Silvery

Silvery, OK most people still say DHSS when its now DWP, but I think we all know what was meant.

And, the last paragraph of the DWP letter could be misunderstood, and in this case probably that's what the 'elderly couple' did.

We ain't all still as sharp as we once were, but none the lesser for that.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by johncar61
Guess all 'great minds' think alike.

As you said, can't image why not just one mailing with all the appellation forms necessary. Maybe they had some 'posting budget' to use up !!!!
Also using up old cards and old letters! New card just arrived with expiry date exactly same as the one we used to have (while UK resident) - Dec 2010. Letter also says can not be used for NHS services! As this is the most likely time we will use it I queried with Newcastle. Apparently, the letter is wrong (their phones are ringiging non-stop) and they are using up old cards. We can apply for new ones with a 5 year validity from June. The card number on the card just received will flag up that we are resident in Spain and therefore allow us to use the cards in the UK. As a bonus, the number will also flag up to Spanish hospitals that the holder is resident in Spain and, therefore, not entitled to use it here. People correctly resident in Spain are, of course, registered in the normal Spanish health care system anyway.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:48 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shaggymon
Also using up old cards and old letters! New card just arrived with expiry date exactly same as the one we used to have (while UK resident) - Dec 2010. Letter also says can not be used for NHS services! As this is the most likely time we will use it I queried with Newcastle. Apparently, the letter is wrong (their phones are ringiging non-stop) and they are using up old cards. We can apply for new ones with a 5 year validity from June. The card number on the card just received will flag up that we are resident in Spain and therefore allow us to use the cards in the UK. As a bonus, the number will also flag up to Spanish hospitals that the holder is resident in Spain and, therefore, not entitled to use it here. People correctly resident in Spain are, of course, registered in the normal Spanish health care system anyway.
Got mine too, although the application letter for my wife (that could of been sent with mine) still hasn`t arrived yet.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 12:20 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

We can apply for new ones with a 5 year validity from June.

Just got ours. They are valid for 5 years!

Maybe it is because we have never had one before.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

gardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nice

My wife, an OAP with E121 got hers yesterday, valid until 2015 but according to an article in one of the free papers, as a UK pensioner and because the UK is responsible for the cost of your health care, you can choose to be treated in a UK facility even though you are resident in Spain ?
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:15 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Que? Do you mean pensioners? or are you alluding to something else. Us poor, early retirees who are correctly resident here, are NOT in the normal Spanish health care system!!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Que? Do you mean pensioners? or are you alluding to something else. Us poor, early retirees who are correctly resident here, are NOT in the normal Spanish health care system!!
The new UK EHIC card is only issued to Spanish residents who are also UK pensioners already receiving full health care in Spain having submitted an E121.

So I guess, as an early retiree, you just have to take out travel insurance.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 3:34 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

My husband, who although not of State retirement age has an E121, got his new EHIC last week. It is valid for five years.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Pensioners (and their dependents) who are registered via the E121. Sorry for confusion.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future

Sorry if I am being thick but: We are resident in Spain and have just received our new EHIC cards from the UK - valid for 5 years. On the back of the letter, under "Important Information" it states that "the card does not provide entitlement to NHS services" - thought it was supposed to grant emergency cover with the NHS if we visit the UK. Next: it states that "if you go abroad to live or work on a long-term basis (including to other EEA countries or Switzerland) please return the EHIC to us at the address at the top of this letter." Duh!! We live permanently in Spain and they were told this. Does this mean the letter is a standard one sent to people resident in the UK and they have not bothered to amend it for other countries, or have they stupidly assumed we live in the UK, even though they addressed the cards to us in Spain. Can anyone enlighten me before I ring them, tearing my hair out in the process?
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cats-R-Us
Sorry if I am being thick but: We are resident in Spain and have just received our new EHIC cards from the UK - valid for 5 years. On the back of the letter, under "Important Information" it states that "the card does not provide entitlement to NHS services" - thought it was supposed to grant emergency cover with the NHS if we visit the UK. Next: it states that "if you go abroad to live or work on a long-term basis (including to other EEA countries or Switzerland) please return the EHIC to us at the address at the top of this letter." Duh!! We live permanently in Spain and they were told this. Does this mean the letter is a standard one sent to people resident in the UK and they have not bothered to amend it for other countries, or have they stupidly assumed we live in the UK, even though they addressed the cards to us in Spain. Can anyone enlighten me before I ring them, tearing my hair out in the process?
Read earlier posts.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:10 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone clarify the current Spanish policy with regard to Emergency treatment for visiiting Brits,(non Spanish Res) with an EU emergency health card?
For instance for visitors staying for less than 3 months are they covered for,

1,..One visit and treatment for one problem only.
2,..Several visits and treatments for one problem.
3,..Several visits and treatments over the period in question,for Several different problems.

I would expect No.3.to be the case, but not 100% certain.

Many Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.