Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New and totally Lost

New and totally Lost

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

drostyhof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New and totally Lost

Hi I'm Richard. I'm planning on retiring in the next few months to Spain but I an so confused with all the different areas, properties and suggestions from websites that its a headache. So I've joined Expats in the hope that someone one could offer advice to a single old timer. I want to holiday / rent for a month or two to start off with (September time) then look around and buy and have been told that Murcia region or Alicante are the areas to be. I would really appreciate any suggestions you have, Thank you.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:09 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New and totally Lost

Originally Posted by drostyhof
Hi I'm Richard. I'm planning on retiring in the next few months to Spain but I an so confused with all the different areas, properties and suggestions from websites that its a headache. So I've joined Expats in the hope that someone one could offer advice to a single old timer. I want to holiday / rent for a month or two to start off with (September time) then look around and buy and have been told that Murcia region or Alicante are the areas to be. I would really appreciate any suggestions you have, Thank you.
As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

We will move this post to the Spain forum for you so that members who have experiences in the areas that you mention can give you some adice.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 2:29 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drostyhof
It really is a question of what you are looking for. If you need to be around Brits, then Alicante and further south might suit you.

If you want the nice weather but also enjoy the fine cuisine, Spanish way of life etc. then I would suggest further North.

Not that I'm biased, but if you want a better view of the 'real' Spain, then go further inland.

You really do need to start thinking about your requirements first.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 2:48 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Make a list of things that you want and do not want when you retire.

One of the things that I said was that as we were getting older and not younger that I did not want to live in an out of the way place with grueling twisty roads to get anywhere. I wanted greenery all the year around, a hospital fairly nearby, to live with Spanish people and to live in a town that was lively not dead in winter but also to have some peace and quiet. We found the right place for us, a lot of people would not like it but it suits us.

Having a list helps you to discount some areas of Spain. Most people say rent before you buy because then if you have made the wrong choice you are not stuck there trying to sell.

Enjoy your research.

Rosemary
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities

One of the things that I said was that as we were getting older and not younger that I did not want to live in an out of the way place with grueling twisty roads to get anywhere. I wanted greenery all the year around, a hospital fairly nearby, to live with Spanish people and to live in a town that was lively not dead in winter but also to have some peace and quiet. We found the right place for us, a lot of people would not like it but it suits us.

Having a list helps you to discount some areas of Spain. Most people say rent before you buy because then if you have made the wrong choice you are not stuck there trying to sell.

Enjoy your research.

Rosemary
Wise words.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:19 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities

Enjoy your research.

Rosemary

How true

The Dream for years was a place in the sun, no one around to cause use any stress, stacks of land to tend and perhaps get a cash crop from......

The Reality - getting slower, more ailments, rhuematism, tire easier, the dogs we were going to take up the mountains no longer with us. The knowledge there is a medical centre near, bar, bakers, supermarket etc is a great relief. Having travelled to the middle of nowhere up some very poor unmade roads to look at properties that really should be pulled down. Realising that there isnt electricity everywhere, letalone a telephone or broadband. Picking up hints many and varied from this forum.

The Dream is still there, The Plan has been rewritten so many times we have had to buy a new pencil and rubber. But now we have gone past Phase I (OH working in Spain) and Phase II (the car and dog now moved out) and Phase III (my moving out permanantly) is fast approaching.

Go for it - you will only get older and grumpier argueing about what it would have been like if you hadn't done it
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:20 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

How about a few fact finding trips to all the possible areas and see how you feel about them???

Jo xxxx
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:26 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
How about a few fact finding trips to all the possible areas and see how you feel about them???

Jo xxxx
we started that - Barcelona, Granada, Seville...... at which point we fell out.
I didn't like Seville, didn't "feel" for the city. May be a fine place and I have good memories. Then a job came up in Granada for the OH, she took it and in the short to medium term our decision was made for us.
But we are happy with it.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
we started that - Barcelona, Granada, Seville...... at which point we fell out.
I didn't like Seville, didn't "feel" for the city. May be a fine place and I have good memories. Then a job came up in Granada for the OH, she took it and in the short to medium term our decision was made for us.
But we are happy with it.
We came here on holiday twice a year for thirty years, in the last five years of that we seriously looked at places to live with a view to how easy or not it would become as we got older and were no longer able to drive.

For our first three months until we bought our current home we stayed in the flat that our daughter here rents out. That gave us the opportunity to have a good look round, in the process we discovered that contrary to our original idea of a Town House... that really wasn't what we wanted!

After much searching we have bought a single story house (good for the dodgy knees) in a very small hamlet, it's in the campo but on a bus route and just a few kilometers from the nearest town.
It's a peaceful location but still only an hour from the coast should we wish to go there, when we can no longer drive we can get the bus into town and the train to Malaga.

Hopefully we have found our for ever home, it pays to do the homework and not to rush into something that may not be so good for you as you get older, so yes renting first is the way to go!
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 2:47 am
Just Joined

drostyhof is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you to everyone for your most valuable advice! As I am not yet a Spanish speaker (learn 12 new words everyday - but forget 13 by the next morning) I will be looking for something near / within the Brit areas initially. Also that's a great idea to go for a single story house as I do have dodgy knees.
I will rent for a month or two whilst I have a look around and so far I have made 3 contacts with agencies in the Murcia and Alicante areas who say they will give me conducted tours of their properties, is that dodgy? can anyone recommend good agencies?
I know its going to take a while and with all the areas available and the different types of property I will rely on other ex-pats advice and recommendations. Now on the second page of desired criteria, must get it down to half a page.
I prefer quieter country areas over noisy beaches and packed bars and if possible some where close to bus routes, but as one previous comment I certainly don't wish to be miles from anywhere. A Hamlet sounds good!
Thank you again for all your comments, I will get their!
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 4:38 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

If you can find your way in China, I am sure you will make it in spain. Good fortune
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 8:17 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Some familiar stories on this thread so far. I've tried, roughly in order, Estepona, Benalmadena, Nerja, Benidorm, Denia, Javea, inland near Albacete, and lately, Torrevieja. Quite a few years have rolled by along the way, and I've missed out quite a few places, and other countries.

My needs changed too. I now live on a bus route, and near to a medical centre and two hospitals and can speak passable Spanish. I've got a decent woman and two dogs, as well as a swimming pool, which is all I ever wanted without knowing it for many years.

I still miss some suitcase years, and the expected thrill of walking around a corner to find paradise.

I was at Alicante airport last night, my first visit to the new terminal, and seeing all those hopeful travellers brought back many happy memories, aided by a Spanish lady in impossibly tight trousers who smiled at me. Just as my wife walked out of arrivals.

The silly woman brought back an English local newspaper and I'm now looking at property for sale in Suffolk!
Old Jul 31st 2011, 3:59 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen a lot of these enquires, and they are all so different that precise advice is impossible to give.

Retired, working, old, middle aged or young, town or country, populous or desolate or something inbetween, car access, or public transport, prepared to learn a lot of Spanish, not much or middlin', flat, house, with land or without, mountainous, coastal or plains, hot and dry, wetter and greener.

I'd almost suggest that you produce the list that fits you the closest, and post it to see who reckons their area is the closest fit.

Couple of things I would suggest. Try renting in the most likely areas, don't ever rely on earning money here, and make a serious effort to learn the language.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

chukkiesmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bil
I have seen a lot of these enquires, and they are all so different that precise advice is impossible to give.

Retired, working, old, middle aged or young, town or country, populous or desolate or something inbetween, car access, or public transport, prepared to learn a lot of Spanish, not much or middlin', flat, house, with land or without, mountainous, coastal or plains, hot and dry, wetter and greener.

I'd almost suggest that you produce the list that fits you the closest, and post it to see who reckons their area is the closest fit.

Couple of things I would suggest. Try renting in the most likely areas, don't ever rely on earning money here, and make a serious effort to learn the language.
I think that is a good idea I was just a little worried that it was going to be a case of seen it and heard it all before lol, the one thing we definitely have learnt is that commuting to the UK is the only way to go right now so we are prepared for that, I am going to start a new thread tomorrow stating all of my circumstances and the things that are worrying me the most, I believe for us the time has come to put up or shut up and i really do not want it to be the latter :-)
thanks claire x
Old Jul 31st 2011, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to both the new members with questions regarding moving to Spain. I would recommend renting for at least a year and I agree with making a detailed list of must haves, not wanted and would likes but I would include what you are looking for in a property (no of b/rooms, size, type, location, furnished, unfurnished etc) but also apply the same principle to the area you want to live, it is an agents job to rent you a house and they will try to give you anything unless you have an idea what you want, they are not always the best people to go with but a good start, take everything they say with a pinch of salt as it is in their interest to get you to have the house.

If you find the ideal property, revisit it at different times it maybe quiet in the day but noisy at night, the apartment block may get noisy at weekends as it contains alot of second homes, walk around the neighbourhood to get a feel for it for yourself, look for rental boards they are often better value as they are often offered by the home owner, negotiate your rent if you do not ask you do not get, better in your pocket than theres.

I to live in Alhaurin el Grande and have been very happy with the place for the last 15 months, it is close enough to the coast to visit with ease but far enough away to not have the problems of tourist influx. The CdS has many pro's weather, many places are all year round, not to far from gib for shopping but it can be more expensive but you shop around, the deals are there you just need to look for it.

I agree with you taking recon trips, best way to get a feel for places, find a friendly bar and ask questions many people will be more than happy to offer you local information.

good luck with the adventure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.