Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New Ryanair cabin Baggage rules

New Ryanair cabin Baggage rules

Old Jan 18th 2014, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Ryanair cabin Baggage rules

Well. We've slated them and we've praised them. This does look like Mr O'L has been told his 'arrogant face' is putting people off, and to soften it.... or use someone else's. So, I had to book a flight today anyway so when I got the email I was pretty pleased. But there don't seem to be any details of how this 2nd bag thing is going to work. Presumably it will be if it's small enough to go under the seat in front. I keep looking for the catch, and wondering if there'll be something in the unprinted small print stating that I can't do whatever it is I assume from their new rules I can do without paying an extra 75 euros which I never have! I must admit, the two pieces of hand luggage thing suits me well because I always had to put my shoulder bag with my inhaler/magazine/snack in my main hand luggage then mess people about at boarding getting it back out again, because the most important thing was to claim my space! (because I carry my best stock in there, flying for business reasons and I absolutely daren't lose my luggage because often that would mean not having a display and therefore not being able to eat/ pay for hotels/get home) Is there still the same weight limit?
Seriously, to keep my business (and I had been moving away from them) these new moves are the best thing RA could have done if they do turn out not to be another 'tricksy' scheme. And now I'm worried my hand luggage will be taken away and stowed somewhere else because they've chosen to put me in the seats with no overhead space. Or that they're going to separate couples just to earn more on reserved seating. I know we'll all have to pay the same or more overall. But I just need to know how and when with some degree of certainty.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

stuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nice
Default Re: New Ryanair cabin Baggage rules

Hi I returned to the UK last week from Malaga and the 2nd hand luggage is fine--it has to be no more than 20cmD x 20cmW x 30cmH and mine was OK in the overhead locker.
As for allocated seating it's the same as Easy Jet -if you don't purchase a seat a seat will be allocated to you when you book in on line.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: New Ryanair cabin Baggage rules

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Well. We've slated them and we've praised them. This does look like Mr O'L has been told his 'arrogant face' is putting people off, and to soften it.... or use someone else's. So, I had to book a flight today anyway so when I got the email I was pretty pleased. But there don't seem to be any details of how this 2nd bag thing is going to work. Presumably it will be if it's small enough to go under the seat in front. I keep looking for the catch, and wondering if there'll be something in the unprinted small print stating that I can't do whatever it is I assume from their new rules I can do without paying an extra 75 euros which I never have! I must admit, the two pieces of hand luggage thing suits me well because I always had to put my shoulder bag with my inhaler/magazine/snack in my main hand luggage then mess people about at boarding getting it back out again, because the most important thing was to claim my space! (because I carry my best stock in there, flying for business reasons and I absolutely daren't lose my luggage because often that would mean not having a display and therefore not being able to eat/ pay for hotels/get home) Is there still the same weight limit?
Seriously, to keep my business (and I had been moving away from them) these new moves are the best thing RA could have done if they do turn out not to be another 'tricksy' scheme. And now I'm worried my hand luggage will be taken away and stowed somewhere else because they've chosen to put me in the seats with no overhead space. Or that they're going to separate couples just to earn more on reserved seating. I know we'll all have to pay the same or more overall. But I just need to know how and when with some degree of certainty.
We made our now regular trip from John Lennon to Cork with Ryanair over new year just after the new rules were implemented. The second bag sizes are displayed on the website and are 30/20/20 cm and that is quite big. Our daughter is a bag collector so when we stayed with her over Christmas we searched her collection for a full correct size bag and I must say it was big for a handbag. I bought a manbag so we arrived at the boarding desk with four pieces of luggage the usual luggage frame now has a box welded on the outside for the extra bags. There were no questions asked at all and we took a huge amount through including a memory foam mattress overlay (double) and a whole load of Christmas presents we were strictly in accordance with sizes but also overweight. So I reckon the girls have been told to back off.

We never book seats or priority boarding but always head for the rear door and we have never failed to get two seats together and luggage into the overheads.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Jan 18th 2014 at 2:27 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't find that info on the website and I did look. Maybe I have to empty my cache. So thanks for the clarification guys. Very useful.
What constitutes over weight for hand luggage? is the limit still 10KG each?
Old Jan 18th 2014, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: New Ryanair cabin Baggage rules

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I couldn't find that info on the website and I did look. Maybe I have to empty my cache. So thanks for the clarification guys. Very useful.
What constitutes over weight for hand luggage? is the limit still 10KG each?
For your overhead case it is still 10kg however if I understand correctly there is no stated weight limit for the extra bag.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

This is from Ryanair Website:

One cabin bag per passenger* weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 cms.

The idea of the second bag is that you keep the thing on your lap or under the seat, not in the lockers which are already overcrowded, to the extent that they now only permit the first 90 bags on board in the overheads, the rest have to go (free of charge)in the hold. The problem with this is that you then have to wait at baggage reclaim for the blasted things. And this is almost certainly in response to the airport authorities feeling the pinch of no-one shopping at the airport because they can't take their goods on the flight, no one leaves room in their cabin case for shopping!

See the next bit of the plan: http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryana...improvements-2

This means that if you need to catch a bus/train at destination, and time is tight, you have to book a seat to be sure of getting off/having your cabin suitcase to hand and not being delayed at baggage reclaim.........

They give with one hand and take away with the other sadly.....as a long term fan of Ryanair I am starting to get a bit jumpy......the old ways worked find for me.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

24 hour grace period for minor booking errors...what does that mean? what constitutes minor. Usually they're fairly major. The date...or the airport.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is great news even if it means an increase in fares is going to be inevitable. A bit more like the relaxed pace of easy Jet. So long as they compete on price I guess it's all to thegood
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes. I think credit where it's due. It seems they've realised that people aren't idiots. When you have competition that's pretty much equally low on price it comes down to a choice of who doesn't annoy you with their pettiness. Nobody wants to be nervous about whether they're going to have the equivalent to the price of a standard (non cheap rate) fare slapped on top as they would have if for example they forgot to print boarding cards and had slightly oversized hand luggage. People don't choose low price flights if they have the money in the bank to cover extreme charges.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I choose the airline I use by if they fly where I want go. Preferably with the least stopovers and direct as possible. As I mostly fly UK/Spain these days and don't drive, I have little choice but use Ryanair. If it were possible I would choose another airline.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
I choose the airline I use by if they fly where I want go. Preferably with the least stopovers and direct as possible. As I mostly fly UK/Spain these days and don't drive, I have little choice but use Ryanair. If it were possible I would choose another airline.
I must say my Ryanair experience has been transformed with the advent of reserved seating (no standing in a queue forever etc.) I can see with the increase in the baggage allowance many cases will need to be put in the hold and this may result in more passengers paying the extra for reserved seats to guarantee overhead locker space. This will allow Ryanair to increase the price of this choice, that I think is very reasonable at present.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I must say my Ryanair experience has been transformed with the advent of reserved seating (no standing in a queue forever etc.) I can see with the increase in the baggage allowance many cases will need to be put in the hold and this may result in more passengers paying the extra for reserved seats to guarantee overhead locker space. This will allow Ryanair to increase the price of this choice, that I think is very reasonable at present.
Yes. I'm very much for freedom of choice. Since we struggle occasionally to have enough funds to book our flights sometimes we have to go as cheap as possible...other times we can afford some of the upgrades. Without this freedom I couldn't run my business. Allowing people to cut their cloth according to the width is a very good principle in business. Otherwise you piss off both ends of the spectrum and lose a large part of your customer base.

This should please most part of both ends and bring in a few more of the higher end paying passengers who will also be happier to have a bit more choice. Personally, I think whoever figured out these changes may well have given Ryanair the boost it needed. Maybe even saved it from what was looking like a bit of a decline against their nearest competitor. Of course there will always be people who are unhappy across the board but you'll never please everybody.