Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New residency rules from today

New residency rules from today

Old Nov 20th 2012, 8:54 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New residency rules from today

In the small print it says that to qualify you must spend more than 183 days in Spain - which of course would make you tax resident and liable for tax on your world wide income.

I can see that putting off a large percentage of would be foreign investors!
Old Nov 21st 2012, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
In the small print it says that to qualify you must spend more than 183 days in Spain - which of course would make you tax resident and liable for tax on your world wide income.

But they haven't worked out the fine details yet have they? They might follow the Portuguese model.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2012/11/19/...04_703937.html

It is not yet clear how Spain would implement the proposal, but it would involve creating a special temporary residence permit for such investors as Portugal did last August.

The Portuguese law grants residence rights to foreigners who buy a property valued at over 500,000 euros, to those who transfer one million euros to the country and to those who set up a company that hires more than 30 employees.

The difference is that people with this profile do not have to spend at least six months and a day a year in Portugal as is the case with other foreign residents. Instead, after having made their investment, they only need to spend 30 days a year in the country in the first year of residence and 60 days in the second.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find Chinese and Russians are as forthcoming with due taxes as the Spanish
Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:20 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
I think you will find Chinese and Russians are as forthcoming with due taxes as the Spanish
so its the fine upstanding Brits who pay their taxes ??

`
Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
so its the fine upstanding Brits who pay their taxes ??

`

In the UK we are better than most other EU members but some expats do seem to have an aversion to it
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Sonicboi81 will become famous soon enoughSonicboi81 will become famous soon enough

You do have to spend a certain number of days in the country to be eligible. Basically I agree with previous posters. The Spanish housing market is in a total crash. People can no longer afford to pay their mortgages off due to crippling financial crisis and high unemployment. Many properties are being returned to banks or up for sale which many Native Spaniards or Catalans can no longer afford. This is a solution designed to appeal to non EU people who do have the capital to buy. This does include Russians for example who are fast becoming a big market especially here in Barcelona. Chinese property owners are common here also. They are buying up all failing bars, business and property at low fast sale prices. But if they are providing income and paying taxes I do not see it as a bad thing. It can only help the economy in that respects. However, there should be some sort of limit in place to ensure the country is not bought up by internationals. Just my two cents, Bryan
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:24 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sonicboi81
Chinese property owners are common here also. They are buying up all failing bars, business and property at low fast sale prices. But if they are providing income and paying taxes I do not see it as a bad thing.
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/10/16/wo...ust/index.html
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Sir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
It's just been announced that if you are buying a property of more than 160000euros, then you will automatically be allowed a residencia.

This, presumably, negates the previous need for regular income and proof of health care?

I would not trust what the spanish government says is truthful it will do or not as they move the gaol posts to suit themselves as many times as they care to like an annoying fly buzzing past you head in your lounge you can never quite catch!

ps
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Sir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond repute

If they declare it?,i can't see the chinese or russians doing that can you?

paris
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:16 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paris hilton
If they declare it?,i can't see the chinese or russians doing that can you?

paris
Possibly not but Hacienda will have them in their sights as they are an obvious target as tax evaders.

Hacienda aren't stupid and they are catching thousands of tax evaders every year.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Possibly not but Hacienda will have them in their sights as they are an obvious target as tax evaders.

Hacienda aren't stupid and they are catching thousands of tax evaders every year.
Yes very true,they are having to get money in any way they can by any means and will use agressive tactics!,spain need money to get out of trouble.

paris
Old Nov 24th 2012, 8:38 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

If buying a €160K house makes you "rich" and likely to "evade" taxes, then frankly, I think we have much more serious problems than I thought.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

I would have thought most of the Russians buying property are only looking for holiday homes. They don't want residency anyway and they are unlikely to spend 183 days here.