Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

new "proof of residency" documents for flying back to spain

new "proof of residency" documents for flying back to spain

Old Feb 21st 2021, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new "proof of residency" documents for flying back to spain

Originally Posted by n77af
Surely his wife returning to her country of residence qualifies as essential travel? It would here in Spain and from everything I’ve heard from friends and family back home we’ve had a much stricter lockdown than they have in the UK.
Technically if you had been applying for TIE then you should be resident in Spain so you shouldn't be in UK. The poster says she needs to go to pick up her TIE not she needs to go home. Obviously you can't just pop in and out of a country just to pick up documents. I expect they ask you for your reason for travel and it's up to you to convince them.
Old Feb 21st 2021, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
Technically if you had been applying for TIE then you should be resident in Spain so you shouldn't be in UK. The poster says she needs to go to pick up her TIE not she needs to go home. Obviously you can't just pop in and out of a country just to pick up documents. I expect they ask you for your reason for travel and it's up to you to convince them.
Surely returning to your country of normal residence would count as essential journey, and the need to pick up TIE goes with Spain being the country of residence and not UK?
Old Feb 21st 2021, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

jogger is on a distinguished road

But you aren't allowed to leave UK at the moment!!
Then why are the UK Government putting on acceptable documentation to travel to Spain?
Old Feb 21st 2021, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

When we go back to Spain we will be staying there were are home now is. We left before the travel restrictions were put in place and the reason for coming to the UK was to wind everything down here and attend to my inlaws as he has dementia. It wasn't a holiday or anything similar. I'm an EU citizen my wife being from the UK is not and needs to collect her TIE
Old Feb 21st 2021, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jogger
When we go back to Spain we will be staying there were are home now is. We left before the travel restrictions were put in place and the reason for coming to the UK was to wind everything down here and attend to my inlaws as he has dementia. It wasn't a holiday or anything similar. I'm an EU citizen my wife being from the UK is not and needs to collect her TIE
So you are both returning home which is fine. Incidentally if you are EU then your wife doesn't need a TIE!
Old Feb 21st 2021, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

So you are both returning home which is fine. Incidentally if you are EU then your wife doesn't need a TIE!
I am an EU citizen but she needs it to retaun her independence, if something was to happen me and she was relying on me for healthcare etc, this way she can get her own S1 from the UK
Old Feb 21st 2021, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Technically if you had been applying for TIE then you should be resident in Spain so you shouldn't be in UK.
How do you work that out?
Old Feb 21st 2021, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
How do you work that out?
officially you would already be iliving n Spain in order to do TIE.
Old Feb 21st 2021, 11:16 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

However, whilst the TIE is being processed you may need to return to the UK to deal with family members, house sales etc etc. All very legal and above board.

Rosemary
Old Feb 21st 2021, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

In the paperwork provided (will try and find it) It actually says 'you do not need to be in Spain at the time of making your residency request for the TIE as a first time applicant' or something along those lines.

People using a solicitor would have had them file online on their behalf (like we did).

Although there is no way I would be returning to the Uk before I have the TIE in my hand (unless there was no choice)
Old Feb 21st 2021, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jogger
I am an EU citizen but she needs it to retain her independence, if something was to happen to me and she was relying on me for healthcare etc, this way she can get her own S1 from the UK
Should your relationship break down, or should you die, your wife will retain her rights as family member of an EU citizen - this is written into EU legislation. As for S1 and Spanish health care, she will continue as EU family member, and will get her S1 or E206 from your country of nationality when she is of pensionable age.

Last edited by Joppa; Feb 21st 2021 at 12:03 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 8:48 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

She can have a TIE which says she's a resident under the WA or a TIE which says she's a family member of an EU citizen. The WA TIE might be more advantageous for certain pre-Brexit rights (not checked), the EU family member TIE allows FoM when travelling with the EU citizen.

Last edited by DLC; Feb 23rd 2021 at 8:52 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 8:58 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

If Spain has issued a residency document, she is a resident of Spain, therefore she is not a resident of the UK and is allowed to travel to Spain.
Old Feb 24th 2021, 8:56 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lospacoshombre
Hi
it seems unlikely to me that I would be able to return to Spain with just a pcr, a copy of my escritura, and my passport, what do you guys think?
I just wonder how much of this is kite flying by the British embassy as it seems they've come to some agreement with Spain but they mention property deeds. They might help build a case for proving residency but they don't prove residency on their own, the border really isn't the place to be building a case for residency, and I haven't found any equivalent announcement from the Spanish side.
Old Feb 24th 2021, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DLC
I just wonder how much of this is kite flying by the British embassy as it seems they've come to some agreement with Spain but they mention property deeds. They might help build a case for proving residency but they don't prove residency on their own, the border really isn't the place to be building a case for residency, and I haven't found any equivalent announcement from the Spanish side.

I think who ever wrote for the Conconsulate the remit was to provide information that was easy to understand. However, I feel that it has perhaps done the opposite by allowing examples. Basically you need to provide information that you have been granted residency in Spain. A combination of some documents might be needed in the absence of the two officially recognized cards. Obviously having a house on it's own does not prove residency.