New Ceiling

Old Mar 6th 2021, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Daniel.C is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Ceiling

Hi,
Im looking for some advise regarding a property that has beam & block roof. Could someone let me know how you attach a plasterboard ceiling onto these beams,

Many thanks
Daniel
Old Mar 6th 2021, 2:35 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Ceiling

Originally Posted by Daniel.C
Hi,
Im looking for some advise regarding a property that has beam & block roof. Could someone let me know how you attach a plasterboard ceiling onto these beams,

Many thanks
Daniel

The old method was to attach the boards (not plasterboard as in the UK but plaster squares) using horse hair and yeso. They litterally just hang from the soaked hair which then sets solid.

Done a few in one of my older properties
Old Mar 7th 2021, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
the above poster is correct that you used to use yeso which is a quick setting super plaster to stick supports to the ceiling, this is both old fashioned and quite a skill..

the best way is to use a galvanised light weight frame lower than your concrete ceiling height, this allows space for insulation (yes epc S are important in Spain) and space for cable runs in tubes and water pipes clipped to the wall out of harms way.....

you can also-fit spot lights !

obviously you need to have the ceiling height in the first place and you can buy the galvanised metal parts from builders merchants, just look up metal partition system on you tube and you will get the idea....

other than that it’s glue them direct using dry wall adhesive and props (not acro props but the cheap ceiling ones), you would need to put cables in first, this way is unadaptable.

regards
al
Old Mar 7th 2021, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

With the older type of ceiling 1960+ would it support the weight and movement of a ceiling fan or does that need to be attached to the concrete beams?
Bearing in mind some of the fans with light fittings weigh about 15KG?
Old Mar 8th 2021, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonboy
With the older type of ceiling 1960+ would it support the weight and movement of a ceiling fan or does that need to be attached to the concrete beams?
Bearing in mind some of the fans with light fittings weigh about 15KG?
I would fix it to a beam using a long threaded bar or 2.
Old Mar 8th 2021, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

I guess what you say is safest, better than being liquidized!
Old Mar 8th 2021, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute

I use a combination of the two methods I mentioned,,,,,,,in kitchens and bathrooms or anywhere that would remain fanless or needs ducting underneath (extractor fan, pipes, cables etc) I use the hung ceiling method, in a lounge or bedrooms where a fan is required I would dry line the ceiling and fix fan to concrete/block.

depends on the build......depends on the ceiling state.

regards
al