Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

new area to live in Huelva

new area to live in Huelva

Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:53 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light
Default new area to live in Huelva

I might be moving can any one tell me of the phone internet access is like on the big urbanizations ..........................i dont want to run there yet need to do some investigation will i need a satalite conection or can i get a line ?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:17 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new area to live in Huelva

Why donĀ“t you contact Telefonica to ask ?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:27 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gallerie9
I might be moving can any one tell me of the phone internet access is like on the big urbanizations ..........................i dont want to run there yet need to do some investigation will i need a satalite conection or can i get a line ?
If you knew a local (shop) phone number I am sure you used to be able to put the number in a bit on their site to find out if ADSL was available.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:18 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gallerie9

Hi

Depends where you are thinking of, really.

On another note, I would advise thinking long and hard before making the move from the Jerez/Cadiz region to Huelva. Don't get me wrong, I love it here as I knew what to expect, had already lived and worked in Spain for almost 5 years when I came here so I found it easier settle in.

It is a great area but I do understand why some people who moved here, loving the place at first, then when the honeymoon period ended and day to day realities set in, they moved on elsewhere.

Where you are, if you are in a quiet village you are always a short drive away from 'life'. Jerez - 35 mins from Seville, 15 mins from Cadiz. Along the way you have at least 5 sizeable towns with populations bubbling just under 100,000 in each. Now, I for one, don't like having so many people around, but it is easy to take for granted the infrastructure high populous areas bring. Excellent train and bus routes, excellent roads, and of course the wide variety of big name shops, creating competition and better deals etc....

Thinking of El Corte Ingles for example, in an area that covers just 50km, there are four stores (2 in Cadiz, 1 in Jerez and 1 in San Fernando).

Here in Huelva, if you live down the coast like I do I have to travel 60km just to go to a Hipercor with a small El Corte Ingles attached (they are building another one but that is in the city too). Despite the ridiculous rumours spread by those people that sell houses to Brits (I am loathe to use the title Estate Agent as I don't think that applies), the company has no plans to open up anywhere else as there isn't a big enough population. They outright refused to go into the Ayamonte shopping centre because the centre itself was too small, but more importantly there is nowhere near enough population in the catchment area, even if you did include some of the East Algarve towns. They said the most they would do would be an OpenCor, which is like a corner shop style El Corte Ingles - a bit like the stores you see in Motorway service stations.

Of course, that is just one example. Quality Centro Comercials with the big name Electrical stores, DIY, Furniture etc are in abundance in that small area compared very little here (and certainly not like down that way)

Huelva has plenty of average and better than average restaurants - as does Cadiz province. However, restaurants of true, high quality you can count on one hand (and still have some spare fingers!)

There is no train service - and instead of building a much needed line from the city to the coast (closed in the nineties long before the tourism explosion and drink/drive crackdown and is needed now more than ever) they are wasting money on the proposed AVE line which will do the short route from Seville to Huelva - a route that currently only warrants three trains a day, and these are hardly ever full. The only reason the council pushed hard for it was because other cities were getting AVE and they didn't want to be left out (yet the other cities got it because it was necessary not a whim)

The bus service is pitiful.

Now, this all suits me fine. As I said before, I love it. We've adjusted. We know that should we need to go to a big store or to a decent restaurant, we can't just to it on a whim at any number of places within 15 mins. It takes a bit of planning your time. We are used to it though and are fine with it.

But I've lost count of the number of people who've come here to live after coming here several times on short trips and loving it, only to find the day to day reality is hard going and have up sticks and moved on (usually to Cadiz, Costa del Sol or the Algarve)

You clearly already know the area, and I'm sure you'll agree it is a lovely place (or you wouldn't be thinking of moving). As long as you know it is a VERY different place from where you are right now, you'll be fine.

Last edited by Fortaleza; Feb 21st 2009 at 8:22 am.