Nerja

Old Feb 20th 2010, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of
Default Nerja

Hi All

Has anyone got any views on living in Nerja. I.e what the area is like? or your experiences of the place.

Thanks in advance xx
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

lunacrout is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nerja

I live about an hour from Nerja and go there frequently. It's the first place we went to look at when we were house hunting (recommended by my hairdresser) but found it a bit expensive at the time.

It's very pretty and relatively unspoilt though it has loads of nice shops and restaurants. We go most Sunday mornings to the car boot sale - bargain spotting

I'd live there (or nearby) if I could

Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

plumbber is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by missbad
Hi All

Has anyone got any views on living in Nerja. I.e what the area is like? or your experiences of the place.

Thanks in advance xx
i have visited nerja twice and if i could find enough work there i would move there tomorrow, the streets are wonderful, they are full of life, if i won the lottery i would move there . i have seen most of spain, the boring flat lands of la mancha, the hardened people of asturias and galicia, the foriegn coastline of denia,calpe, alicante, etc.for me nerja is low line building and still spanish, my partner has lived in spain since 1969 and has seen all the changes good and bad, she agrees with me that nerja is the place to go. hope that helps, keep in touch
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:42 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You really need to stay there for a few days to see what you think of it. It's one of those places you either love or hate.

The town was originally very Spanish but now it is just another town full of tourists almost all year round. The parking is terrible but there are loads of shops and restaurants and plenty of night life.

Behind the town there are loads of urbanisations, some nice some not, but all pretty expensive. There are some lovely properties further out but they tend to be even more expensive.

As I said, you will either love it or hate it - it just depends on the lifestyle you are looking for. We have loads of friends there and they really love it.

Overall that area of the coast has a lot to offer. Torrox to the West is much cheaper and a good place if you are looking for a beach-front apartment. To the East you move into Granada province which is different again and much more Spanish.

As I said, come out and have a look.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 2:05 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I like Nerja, not as nice as it used to be as it is overpriced and over developed. (same as everywhere on the coast). Has had a lot of publicity about mierda on the beaches and in the sea, so has Torrox. We have stayed at the balcón many times and enjoyed but didn't like the back of the town.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of

Hi

We was looking at the marbella, estepona part of costa del sol.

But have come across Neja while looking at places and seem's property wise cheaper much cheaper and more for your money.

And I have been reading the local paper there to see what it has to offer.
We will also be coming over to look which will be good. So I just wondered what experiences others have had and if there are any areas to avoid. If also any one has had any experiences of the local schools.

Thanks xxx
Old Feb 21st 2010, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

Missbad - I've uploaded a couple of my photos of Nerja into my gallery and also a couple of the village of Frigiliana in the hills behind Nerja - very pretty although touristy - & well worth a visit

Old Feb 21st 2010, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lunacrout
Missbad - I've uploaded a couple of my photos of Nerja into my gallery and also a couple of the village of Frigiliana in the hills behind Nerja - very pretty although touristy - & well worth a visit

Thank you it looks lovely. x
Old Feb 21st 2010, 7:54 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you it looks lovely. x
I thought you was staying in the UK now though ?
Old Feb 21st 2010, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
I thought you was staying in the UK now though ?
Nope we were meant to be going back this year, but for certain reasons we have had to prospone it till next year.

The business in the uk will still be running and Gary will continue with that and travel between uk and Spain.

x
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

We first went to Nerja about 25 years ago, and have been going back off and on ever since, mainly because it's the wife's favourite. Unspoilt? No, I wouldn´t say that! Still much nicer thought than the other side of Málaga IMHO. Trouble parking? Always room in the underground carpark, and if you don't want to pay, except for feria time, have never failed to park on the feria ground, it's huge and central. Yes, Frigiliana is nice, but touristy, we have Spanish friends there so always visit and rent one of their properties. Like everywhere else, it's now quite built up, but the old part remains much the same as always. Torrox? strange place IHMO, the beach is often like a builders yard, not a nice beach at all. Have they finally finished sorting out the old part, that was still like a building site last year when we were there.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
It Has had a lot of publicity about mierda on the beaches and in the sea,.
We stopped off for lunch at Nerja last June on a trip along the coast to Almunecar.
The first thing we noticed on a walk along the sea front was the smell
(Imagine the worst public toilet you have ever visited, and you won't be far out) The source was water? running down the hill from a large hotel, across the pavement and directly onto the beach where mums & dads were hapily sunbathing and the kids were playing.
We decided to forgo lunch and make our way further on. After a couple of miles up hill we stopped at a car park over looking the sea below to admire the view. You could not help but notice the wide brown slick about 50m off shore that stretched all the way back to Nerja.

Last edited by big wheels; Feb 21st 2010 at 10:42 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

Yep - underground car park usually fine

Frigiliana - what's really the problem with 'touristy'? - just means lots of people share your good taste

Torrox - they've been re-doing the block-paving on the prom - maybe that's it - looking good now

Last edited by lunacrout; Feb 21st 2010 at 11:32 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Jontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura about

I have lived 2km outside Nerja for 7 years now and I work in Nerja. I have always loved the place, but sometimes I need to remind myself about that. The town itself is a mixture of old and new. At the moment there is an incredible amount of work going on to 'upgrade' several streets and plazas and it is difficult to get about without meeting some kind of almost impassable roadworks.
There is a Foreigners Department at the Town Hall which is very useful to help newcomers to find their feet. The Mayor is one of the main problems here as he wants Nerja to go back to what it was 25 years ago and is making life difficult for many businesses, and imigrants. Many bars & restaurants have closed as they cannot afford the extortionate local 'extra' taxes they are asked to pay. I think he forgets that 25 years ago most Nerjeños lived in small run down town houses and drove an old banger if they were lucky. Now most of the original families are owners of the locals, so collect many euros a month in rents and they and all the family members drive modern cars. I don't think they really want to turn the clock back.
But other than the political problems it is a wonderful place. When the sun shines it is bustling by day and night. There is a mix of nationalities that have made this their home. There are clubs and societies and a lovely Cultural Centre putting on shows and films etc. Ther is an indoor municipal pool and gym, plus several private owned gyms too. Also there are all the major supermarkets including a newly opened Lidl.
When I forget how much I love it here I just go for a stroll on the Balcon de Europa and look around me at the town and the wonderful views of the coast and sea and I think it must be one of the best places in Europe.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lunacrout
Frigiliana - what's really the problem with 'touristy'? - just means lots of people share your good taste
It means hundreds of people being bused in every day, and hundreds of parked cars tailing half way back to Nerja! Nobody seems interested in paying for the new parking. I still quite like the place, especially the old part, but like many other places, I much preferred it as it was many years ago. Much preferred it before all the building on the bottom road by the school, before all the new apartments down past Fandango's. I know it's "progress", just not sold on it. It's strange that the hotel Villa Frigiliana is closed this winter for the first time, and has been up for sale for ages, you've have thought it would be a goldmine there, but not so. Similarly, in another forum, there are two members there from Frigiliana that have had their properties in Frigi for sale for a couple of years, but no buyers. Must be asking too much!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.