Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Need some space to do my rough work - keeping beaurocratic footprint low

Need some space to do my rough work - keeping beaurocratic footprint low

Old Apr 18th 2013, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

jago25_98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need some space to do my rough work - keeping beaurocratic footprint low

1) I am not looking to buy a house
2) I am not looking to buy land and build a house on it.
3) I am looking here in Spain because the planning, prices and speculation bleedover into other land markets has priced me out of the market.
4) I am not looking for residency here.
5) I want to reduce any bills and liabilities as much as possible - low footprint is how I live but I need somewhere to do my projects
6) It´s also a (´very´ - considering the market) longterm investment

So what I want to do is rent a small flat later but first buy some land roughly where I want to live to do as much of the things that I can´t do in a flat. A bit like an allotment but with wider use. These include:

- grow some plants
- do some composting
- park a low value car from time to time
- maybe fix my car if I´m desperate for somewhere to work on it
- store some water
- do some woodwork
- anything else I come across

I have found somewhere with water but now I need to do the dreaded N.I.E.

I believe there is no point for me to get a temporary NIE. I should go direct for the permenent NIE if I want to buy land. The form asks me for an address in Spain... is it safe to put an aquaintance, a lawyer or even a PO Box?
I have been renting looking at areas as I go so I don´t have a permenant address here.

I also heard I might have to have a Spanish bank account. I definately want to avoid that.

It is now against the law to sell land without using the NIE... I can´t help wondering what actually happens if a sale does go through this way. Worst case scenario might be seller goes to jail and buyer loses everything but that doesn´t seem likely to me... perhaps monetory fines all round?

In terms of planning I´m getting the impression that many do use thier rustic land to store some tools and throw a moped inside a shed. I hope I could put an old car somewhere like that like you would in a barn... even if it´s probably isnt strictly allowed. Can you give me a Spanish viewpoint rather than the Brit expat everything-by-the-book interpretation on that?

Alternatively is there a way round all this guff such as a long term lease/loan so I can avoid all the hassle?

edit:

Saw this... I think it makes sense... perhaps it´s not safe to buy here in this regard:

there must be thousands (judging by the number I know) of people living here 'under the radar' - sometimes not knowing that they should be on the padrón, filing tax returns, signing the resident list etc., ............ but they have a NIE because they bought property - or for their own reasons not wanting to register anywhere for anything

making them go back for a new NIE could be one way of checking up on them

or am I being too logical?

the cynic in me tells me it's about making money, too, if you have to pay again each time

Last edited by jago25_98; Apr 18th 2013 at 4:34 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some space to do my rough work - keeping beaurocratic footprint low

Not sure how you would be able to buy the land without a bank account.
Payments over a certain amount can only be made through a bank. Someone told me that 500€ notes are now not legal tender for everyday transactions.

Land ownership must be registered through a notary so don't know how you would get around that part.

You have to pay land taxes to the local govt. every year. There is a database of ownership of every parcela of land so someone, somewhere , will have to pay the taxes.

Nice idea trying to live outside of the system but it won't be easy if you try and buy some land.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some space to do my rough work - keeping beaurocratic footprint low

An NIE is no big deal. As for putting an address on it .... well, people *do* move.
If you want any spanish utilities: water, electricity then you'll need a bank account to pay the bills - again, it's no big deal. It's also against the law in Spain to make financial transactions in cash for amounts more than €2500. Can you buy your patch of land for less than that? Otherwise the money will have to go through the financial system somehow.

As for buying land without an NIE, I'm no lawyer, but if you *try* to do that, you may well find that all you've done is given some guy some money - that the land title won't get registered to you. Same with having a spanish car or motorbike - to buy one will need an NIE and an address in Spain (somewhere the police can send any fines to)

Last edited by pete_l; Apr 19th 2013 at 7:16 am.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks folks :-) £2500 is the limit that's good to know. I wonder how much the tax is on rustic land... I hope it's not too much - bills can go cross border so I need to think about this rather the simple threat of losing land in the possibility I can't pay (planning for everything)
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:23 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get it, why not just be legal and sleep at night?

Would you break the law in UK or wherever you were born?
Old Apr 20th 2013, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
I don't get it, why not just be legal and sleep at night?

Would you break the law in UK or wherever you were born?
I'm necessarily looking to break the law... I don't even know what the law is half the time like most people. The idea is to keep off the radar where possible. I want to do everything I can to avoid the gov taking what I have.

If one is 100% in the white then you are 100% reliant on a fair government. If you are 100% blackmarket criminal then you are reliant on not getting caught. If you're in a grey area then perhaps you can adapt accordingly in uncertain times.

I have experienced the Danish, Norwegians and HMRC all coming after me for a single £2000 monthly wage packet. It is best to avoid governments if you possibly can.

The aspect of this question though is regards planning laws here in Spain. That is, I am looking for multi use land ideally. But the problem I have is that multi use tends to means everything including a house - but I don't want a house and that prices me out of the market.

This is why I wondered if it's possible to lease some land very long term from someone (5 years? 99 years?). But I have no idea on common examples of situations where that might happen or how to go about it?
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

I understand where you're coming from with the government taking your hard-earned income.
However, someone has to pay for the upkeep of the roads, rubbish collection, street lighting, sewerage, and all the other "services" you might not think you need. Let's say someone breaks into your remote little shack while you're out and steals everything you possess. You might find the services of the local police useful. Actually that may be a bit of a contradiction - local police/useful, but anyway, the point is that someone has to pay something for them, and I'm becoming more and more convinced that I'm the only person in my area that actually pays any tax.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:17 am
Just Joined

To reaffirm, I'm not looking to avoid tax or break the law - I'm looking to avoid using the banks and government because both are about to take us to the cleaners. Just because I want to pay in cash or gold doesn't mean I'm a criminal (my funds are in a fully audited and tracked system with no privacy) - it just means that I can see that there is a risk the money will disappear if I put it through the banking system as I am required.

As for the reporting requirements - it is best to keep beaurocracy as minimal as possible.

So, there is no multiuse or industrial land in Spain? Just rustic and residential?
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:28 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jago25_98

As for the reporting requirements - it is best to keep beaurocracy as minimal as possible.
Minimal and beaurocracy and Spain are words that just do NOT go together, you will find, even just buying the land, there is an enormous amount of beaurocracy, then getting permission to do anything with it just doubles. You would need planning permission to put any structure on the land. Spain is a country where you even, legally, need planning permission to paint the outside of your house. You will find that living as far under the radar as you want isn't possible as you will have to have bank account, NIE number (AFAIK there is no such thing as a 'temporary' NIE number as your NIE number is similar to the UK NI number).
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:38 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Is it not against forum rules to ask for advice to break the law?
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:49 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

An abogado not too long ago gave me this advice:

"The law has nothing to do with what's right or wrong. The only thing that matters in court is that you can prove that what you did or did not do is compliant with what is written in law".

He went on to say that "If you think the law is wrong, then you need to become a politician and try to change the law, otherwise you can't argue in court that you haven't done anything wrong because the law is wrong".
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:58 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I have some spare tin foil if you need a snazzy hat fashioned....
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:39 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I have some spare tin foil if you need a snazzy hat fashioned....
Well, that speaks for itself.

Anyway, my advice to the OP is to live within the bounds of the law as much as you can. It will be a godsend later on if you are ever charged with doing something "against the law", because your previous actions (or lack of them) is perfectly good evidence of whatever they may decide to prosecute was your intent, whether the "law" suits you or not.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jago25_98
So, there is no multiuse or industrial land in Spain? Just rustic and residential?
A better way to think of it is as "land you can build on" and land that you can't.
However, that doesn't mean that (if you have the right sort of land) you can build whatever you please - not unless you're very well connected . You still have to go through the hoops, whether you wish to build a house, hotel, factory or nuclear waste reprocessing plant.

Within the "land you can build on" classification, there will still be zoning: residential, industrial etc.

Oh, and I'd advise against using gold as the basis for bartering. Buying gold attracts IVA, so you're:
  • paying tax - a lot of tax, and
  • losing ~ 20% of your "value" right away
  • a slave to the whims and idiosyncracies of the exchange rate
Plus, you can't eat gold so it's lack of intrinsic value leaves you at a disadvantage
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:26 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Is it not against forum rules to ask for advice to break the law?
I knew a guy in Tenerife who kept completely under the radar.
He had an old Finca up in the hills with all services laid on, yet officially did not exist.
I won't go into the details of how he did it and often wonder if it would still be possible now.
He was there for all the ten years that I knew him, before eventually moving on to Goa.