Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Need to re-grout patio.

Need to re-grout patio.

Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:32 pm
lic
Forum Regular

lic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nice
Default Need to re-grout patio.

Hi All,

I'm after a bit of advice.
I need to re grout my roof terrace. There is still a lot of grout between the tiles, but there are patches which need to be repaired. So I thought I would re-grout the whole terrace.
I have heard that the professionals use an acid to eat the old grout. If this is so, does anyone know what it is called?
Has anyonw done this?
If so how? and how much approx?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:39 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need to re-grout patio.

I would not use an acid myself, plus it is very dangerous substance to use if you are not extremely careful. Sulfamate is Sulfuric Acid based.
You can buy a grout removal tool that diamond tipped to scratch out the grout.
You can use a small angle grinder with a diamond cutter to do the same, but will produce a lot of mess.
You can use an old screwdriver.fine chisel to tap out the grout assuming you have room between the tiles.

Brian
Old Jul 27th 2009, 10:10 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need to re-grout patio.

I agree with playamonte.
Acid is nasty stuff to use but also it could go beyond or through the grouting and have an adverse effect beneath the tiles on whatever is the final roof seal.