N I E number

Old Jul 8th 2015, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Donnymatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default N I E number

Can anyone tell me what supporting documents you need to get an n I E number and how difficult it is. Some websites recommend using a solicitor? Or is it just a con to get money out of people.:
Old Jul 8th 2015, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N I E number

A long time ago but from memory we just walked into a national police station with our passports and bank account number (spanish) and it was done while we waited. Some police stations have a ticket system, you turn up early grab a ticket and wait until your number comes up. We used the one at Orihuela, emplloyee of the agency chatted to the officer on the door, another agent took us to set up a bank account when we returned we were ushered straight in!
Old Jul 8th 2015, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks bri and Katee
Old Jul 8th 2015, 8:28 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be confused between NIE and getting your 'certificate of registration' (aka - residencia).
Old Jul 8th 2015, 8:41 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Don't be confused between NIE and getting your 'certificate of registration' (aka - residencia).
Good point. You need your NIE to get your residencia. If it´s your NIE you want then passport and 2 photos should surfice. Take your Spanish bank account though but I don´t think we needed it. From memory, they give you a ticket to go to a bank nearby where you pay the fee and then go back to get your NIE.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 8:47 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

No, you don't need an NIE to sign on the register of foreigners - when you do that they give you an NIE.

Signing on the register does not give you "residencia" - it just gives you the right to stay for more than 90 days. You become a resident when you stay for more than 183 days in one year and start paying taxes.

Last edited by Fred James; Jul 8th 2015 at 8:56 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 1:22 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Fred, I got that wrong.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

What is the difference between becoming a resident and not being a resident?
Old Jul 9th 2015, 7:59 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

As a resident, you must make a (Spanish) tax declaration of all world-wide income.

It's not a matter of choice - once you are here for more than 183 days in a calendar year (need not be consecutive days), then you are tax resident.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks snikpoh how is it done? Is it like a self assessment tax or do you need an accountant
Old Jul 10th 2015, 7:13 am
Retired and loving it!

Same as in UK - you can either do it yourself or employ someone to do it for you. Another option here is that you can go along to the tax office and they will do it with you.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

mikeglover is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in uk but own a property in Spain. I was issued with an NIE in 2010. I have read somewhere that NIE's either never have to be renewed, have to be renewed every 5 years, have to be renewed every 3 months, all depending on when they were originaly issued. I would be grateful for any clarification on this. Bit confused over padron ( which I think is renewable every 2 years but only seems to be valid for 3 months) and residencia, which some say is with you for ever and some say has to be renewed every 5 years as well. Sorry for so many questions - probably should have expanded to 3 separate posts
Old Jul 11th 2015, 6:59 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

NIE is issued for life. It does not have to be renewed. If you require an NIE certificate, then the people asking for it may require a copy that has been recently issued i.e. less than 90 days ago.

Padron is not regularly renewed unless you are not an EU citizen. Some town halls have recently asked people to renew, but this is not normal and should only happen under very unusual circumstances. I have not renewed mine for 12 years and that was only becuase I changed my address. Non residents should not be on the padron - it is for full time residents only - whatever the town hall might say! Padron certificates are available on request, sometimes for a small fee, and these may also be required to be less than 3 months old.

If you are a full time resident, then you will have signed on the foreigners registry and been given the right to reside for more than 90 days. This form does not need renewing unless your personal details/address etc. change.

However, after 5 years you are entitled to the right of permanent residency and you can choose to renew your registration and you will get a nearly identical piece of paper/card which specifically states that you have the right of permanent residency.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

mikeglover is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks, Fred for clearing everything up.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Greensleeves is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me how much it costs to get a NIE number, I have a quote from a lawyer, who can do it for us, it seems a bit expensive, any help would be appreciated.
Dave.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.