N. I. E.

Old Jul 3rd 2010, 6:23 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N. I. E.

That sounds odd Steve.

Digital certificates are a very special thing, and yes, it's possible that they need renewing but that's a guess.

Do you actually have one?
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=finca steve;8675477]
Originally Posted by Fred James
They are issued for life and do not need to be renewed.

QUOTE]

Fred if they don't have to be renewed, why then am I being asked to do so in an email from (and I quote):

El servicio de certifcados Electronicos de la Fabrica National de Moneda y Timbre

or is this is an email scam in order to get my digi signature?

I cant work it out.

Yes, they do expire and they do need to be renewed.

Here is the link with instructions how to do so: http://www.cert.fnmt.es/index.php?cha=cit&sec=5&lang=es
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 8:41 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Veleta;8675681]
Originally Posted by finca steve

Yes, they do expire and they do need to be renewed.

Here is the link with instructions how to do so: http://www.cert.fnmt.es/index.php?cha=cit&sec=5&lang=es
just to clarify - that's the electronic cert - not the NIE itself?
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 9:15 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I assume Veleta is referring to the electronic certificate rather than the basic NIE. The NIE is not renewable.

As I said, digital certificates are different and yes they are only valid for 3 years.

Last edited by Fred James; Jul 3rd 2010 at 9:18 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 6:43 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I assume Veleta is referring to the electronic certificate rather than the basic NIE. The NIE is not renewable.

As I said, digital certificates are different and yes they are only valid for 3 years.
yes - I just thought it needed clarifying
Old Jul 4th 2010, 7:05 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

That's a very valid point about IHT.

It's difficult enough sorting out the mess that Spanish IHT can create but until you have an NIE you cannot inherit anything.

Best to sort out NIEs when the kids are in Spain as it is possible to do it in the UK but a real hassle.
However, I thought they had to be fiscally resident here (showing a number of tax returns) before they could avoid (reduce substantially) succession tax.

Yes they need NIE's to inherit at all but they will be VERY heavily taxed.

Unless the parent is domiciled in Spain, then of course, IHT will also have to be paid in UK.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 7:55 am

I don't think anyone was suggesting that having an NIE would reduce the tax - merely that you have to have one to get your hands on any of the money.

Let's keep this thread simple and not get into the vagaries of Spanish succession tax.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

finca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud of

The resolves the issue. I have/had a digital signature which with my relatively poor Spanish was a challenge to get in the first place but if it needs renewing then that makes life a little clearer. The email gives all the links but my computer protection is really not happy about the interaction between FNMT and myself.

At least I don't have to fret about the NIE.

Thanks all for the answers.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

If you have been in Spain, or intend to be, for more than 90 days, then you apply for the new certificate of registration using form EX16. If you do not already have an NIE you will be given one then.

http://www.mir.es/SGACAVT/modelos/ex...anje/ex_16.pdf
Hi Fred,
I'm really confused about this. When I told my lawyer that I need to fill in the EX16 form as I want both residencia & NIE he told me to get the NIE first & then later I can apply for the residencia.

I've the impression that I can apply both together in 1 application. What a drag that I got to go through the whole process again & then pay another fee for the residencia. Can residencia be applied through the local town hall or where can I get residencia as I don't want to go to Alicante police station in Alicante city which is where my lawyer assoc gets the NIE for me? No way I'm going to pay another 125 euros to get her to do it.

Thanks.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:03 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
Hi Fred,
I'm really confused about this. When I told my lawyer that I need to fill in the EX16 form as I want both residencia & NIE he told me to get the NIE first & then later I can apply for the residencia.

I've the impression that I can apply both together in 1 application. What a drag that I got to go through the whole process again & then pay another fee for the residencia. Can residencia be applied through the local town hall or where can I get residencia as I don't want to go to Alicante police station in Alicante city which is where my lawyer assoc gets the NIE for me? No way I'm going to pay another 125 euros to get her to do it.

Thanks.
you apply for both at the same time if you're living here

you can do it yourself - & it's virtually free - you do not need a lawyer for it

if you need the NIE before you live here you would have to get them separately - but in the same office
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lynnxa
you apply for both at the same time if you're living here

you can do it yourself - & it's virtually free - you do not need a lawyer for it

if you need the NIE before you live here you would have to get them separately - but in the same office
Hi lynnxa,
Unfortunately I need to get the lawyer to do it which I hate as I'd to pay for 3 NIEs as I've not moved over till 13th July but the lawyer now told me that the completion date has been changed to 19th. I can't now tell him not to do it & have already sent him the money. It's all my agent's fault that I'd to go thru the lawyer as the agent initially told me that he was going to help me & I applied it by ourselves. On our 1st visit to Spain we stayed in a hotel which is 4 doors away from Alicante police station.

That's why I'm going to apply residencia by myself not paying anyone to do it.

Can anyone tell me about the free bus ride which I read in another forum? Do I need to get the residencia to get this free ride or do I need to be on the pardon to get it? Do I need residencia to get on the pardon?
Thanks.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:17 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
Hi lynnxa,
Unfortunately I need to get the lawyer to do it which I hate as I'd to pay for 3 NIEs as I've not moved over till 13th July but the lawyer now told me that the completion date has been changed to 19th. I can't now tell him not to do it & have already sent him the money. It's all my agent's fault that I'd to go thru the lawyer as the agent initially told me that he was going to help me & I applied it by ourselves. On our 1st visit to Spain we stayed in a hotel which is 4 doors away from Alicante police station.

That's why I'm going to apply residencia by myself not paying anyone to do it.

Can anyone tell me about the free bus ride which I read in another forum? Do I need to get the residencia to get this free ride or do I need to be on the pardon to get it? Do I need residencia to get on the pardon?
Thanks.
just get the lawyer to do the NIE - do the rest yourself when you get here

I know nothing about bus rides.............................