My trip to CB

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Up in the mountains outside Cocentaina..and loving it!
Cornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond repute
Default My trip to CB

I had put this in another thread, but thought it might get missed, so here it is again...sorry for those of you who have already taken the time to read it!

Ok guys, have got my head together again, caught up with all the washing etc and now I can tell you about my trip! (leaving out all the nasty bits...see earlier post!)

We arrived Thursday late morning/early afternoon and travelled to BIL/SIL's place. Spent the afternoon round the pool, as we had had no sleep the night before.

Friday, Terry and I set out heading toward Ayora valley area. Somehow or another we ended updoing a whole load more than that for the day. We visited Xativa, Ontinyente, Cocentaina before going on to Ayora, Teresa des Cofrentes, Zarra and Jalance. The weather was wet to start with, but cleared up and was perfect for touring round

We thought the Ayora valley was very pretty, not such dramatic landscape as the Cocentaina/Alcoy areas, but still quite lovely. I particularly likes Teresa Des Cofrentes. It wasn't until we got to Zarra that we discovered there is a large incinerator planned in the area. All sorts of placards etc dotted round crying out against it. That, together with the Nuclear power station at Cofrentes put us off the area slightly. Although we wouldn't rule it out totally.

Going back to the Cocentaina/Alcoy areas just reinforced what we had thought of it back in January last time we were out. We really love it! Anywhere from there heading towards the Jalon areas we thought were spectacular.
After nearly 9 hours of being out and about we headed back to base....

Friday we went off to check out the other side of the Mariola national park. Lovely scenery again. A long day again, out for about 8 hours.

Saturday back we went to Mariola region. Explored Bocairent...what a gorgeous place! Town was lovely, scenery fantastic, people friendly. Lots of walking, taking in the atmosphere.

Sunday we headed up towards Gandia and inland from there. God, there is just so much to see.

Monday we headed to Calpe for our appointment with Search and Survey, who do a package for those of us moving to Spain. Very pleasant woman, Adele, did a presentation. No hard sell, very, very helpful and informative. We signed on the dotted line and they will now be helping us with finding/checking out properties that we have found on t'internet. They also do a service of structural surveys on the properties you want to buy etc. An all round package from all accounts. Let's hope we will be using them really soon!

So, that is a very much precied version of it all. We packed a hell of a lot in, but that was what were there for. No viewing of properties this time, merely getting a real feel of the place and trying to make decisions as to where we want to settle. Enjoyed sampling the tapas bars in the mountain areas. No Spanish spoken, so it tested our Michel Thomas teachings...we managed to get ourselves understood!

As I explained earlier, a lot of other crap threatened to get in the way of it all, but we managed to compartmentalise those things and deal with them when we returned every evening.

One extra little thing...MIL has decided to move out to CB with us!!!! I can't tell you how pleased we are about that, as she was the last big hurdle for us leaving. She is an incredibly fit woman of 81, but with a mental attitude of about 50. She will move over once we are settled (that's if we EVER sell this blooming cottage) and get a small apartment somewhere near to us that has more Brits around. As she said, it's a little late in the day for her to start learning a new language. I am just so pleased She is like a mother to me. I have known her for over 35 years and there has never been a cross word between us!

Sorry if this has been long and rambling, but thought I would share our adventure with you all!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:51 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My trip to CB

So glad that MIL has decided to move to CB too as that will remove a lot of concerns that you may both have had. Bet she does learn some Spanish though because at her age she will not be so nervous of using it and not worry about making a fool of herself.

Rosemary
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:54 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

You get on with your mother in law
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:56 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lionda
You get on with your mother in law
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:58 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

Its lovely to hear how your plans are shaping up, especially about your Mum in law. I totally sympathise with the selling situation!!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 6:04 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

I still haven't got over the mother in law bit - Sally you must have one in a million
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond repute

I still haven't got over the mother in law bit - Sally you must have one in a million
Lionda, she really IS one in a million! I love her to bits. She NEVER interferes in anything we do, good or bad, had never given us her opinion on how we should bring up both our boys.

When Terry's dad died 13 years ago, she didn't even know how to write a cheque, he had done everything for her in that respect. I had to teach her how to do all those things. She now is totally independant, checks her bank statements, goes out dancing twice a week and is a very sociable person.
I lost my own mum over 25 years ago, so MIL replaced her in my affections.

I can't tell you how pleased and relieved I am that she has changed her mind about moving over. It will be a big weight off my mind I can tell you!

I suppose I am really lucky. I hear so many people tell stories about their nightmare in-laws, but I can honestly say that we are very very close.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:50 pm
Popping in for a chat

Originally Posted by Cornish maid
Lionda, she really IS one in a million! I love her to bits. She NEVER interferes in anything we do, good or bad, had never given us her opinion on how we should bring up both our boys.

When Terry's dad died 13 years ago, she didn't even know how to write a cheque, he had done everything for her in that respect. I had to teach her how to do all those things. She now is totally independant, checks her bank statements, goes out dancing twice a week and is a very sociable person.

I can't tell you how pleased and relieved I am that she has changed her mind about moving over. It will be a big weight off my mind I can tell you!

I suppose I am really lucky. I hear so many people tell stories about their nightmare in-laws, but I can honestly say that we are very very close.
You are lucky Sally............ to your mil
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:47 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

May I also say that your MIL is very lucky to have a DIL like you
Old Aug 25th 2007, 10:48 pm
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: My trip to CB

Hi Sally! It sounds as though you did a fair bit of travelling while you were in Spain! I know what you mean about it being so diverse though. Bob and I drove about 1700kms last year and didn't feel as though we had even scratched the surface! And what a relief for you and Terry that your MIL will also be moving out there. I have to say that I get on really well with my MIL as well, she is never any trouble and is a real character. She is a very strong minded person but I admire her tremendously! She has not had an easy life but doesn't complain. Bob's dad had TB when the kids were young and was in hospital for about 18 months, and she held down 3 jobs just to make ends meet! Can you see that happening nowadays? She is a bit of a girl and comes with the intention of staying for a week or two and ends up staying 3 months! She went to stay with Bob's youngest sister who lives in Los Angeles for a couple of weeks and stayed 5 months! That's the way to do it!!! Have your agents given you any feedback yet on your purchasers as to whether they have had any viewings yet? I have given it a rest this week end and am doing what everyone keeps telling me to do. NOTHING!
I just finished tidying the patio this morning, completed the last bit of grouting and it's all finished now. Even had time to have a laze on the sun lounger I painted yesterday. Well at least until our 2 kids turned up with ALL FIVE of our grandsons! Then I had to share the lounger! Had a bar b q this afternoon and then checked out the forum only to find that I had NO INTERNET CONNECTION! Had to call up the techies, but as you can see, all ok now!
Old Aug 26th 2007, 7:59 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Hi im with you there my MIL is also fantastic - couldnt meet a nicer lady - SIL is also brill - infact all hubbys side of the family are really really nice - im very lucky as you say some in laws are a nightmare - we lost FIL last year but he was one of the nicest sweetest people you could ever meet - miss him loads he was a big figure in one of the teachers unions and was a proper fighter for the teachers but he was a big pussy cat.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 8:36 am
Popping in for a chat

I've looked at your pics in the photo gallery and your cottage looks lovely WHY do you want to sell??? Are you sure you want to sell up completely and buy in Spain. Could you not rent it out for a time and rent over here to get the feel of the place before you commit yourself. Will your sons be coming with you?
Old Aug 27th 2007, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

I've looked at your pics in the photo gallery and your cottage looks lovely WHY do you want to sell??? Are you sure you want to sell up completely and buy in Spain. Could you not rent it out for a time and rent over here to get the feel of the place before you commit yourself. Will your sons be coming with you?
We wnat to move over for several reasons. Terry has wanted to do it for over 20 years, and I have always been opposed to it, as we had the boys to consider. They have now got their own lives etc, so it's no longer an issue. They won't be coming over with us, Alan lives and works in London, and John works locally. Both are in very steady relationships and appear to be settled.

As for renting out the property, we need to raise capital to actually buy a property out there.

We couldn't afford the living costs of staying in this lovely cottage without Terry being the main earner. Council tax alone is crippling, being in a rural area we need transport, our gorgeous weather means that heating bills are high.

I have arthritis. I have so far had a partial knee replacement and both hips replaced. The dampness of Cornwall is no good for my condition. The drier air in Spain gives me relief from the pain and in the long term we feel this move would be beneficial to me healthwise.

Yes, our cottage is lovely (we think!), but we feel the time is right to make a fresh start and look for somewhere else. We have lived here for over 23 years, so I feel as if I know every nook and cranny of the cottage, but there WILL be somewhere over there that we will be able to call home, I just know it!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:05 am
Popping in for a chat

You've been through the mill haven't you, healthwise! Poor you!!! Yes, it's drier here so you will be better off in that respect.

I hope you do find something you like, maybe we may even meet up one day