My thoughts.

Old May 2nd 2006, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

calum141 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My thoughts.

Hi,

I am considering moving to the Granada area of Spain with parents a few years after I finish school..

I am good with ICT and I am planning on doing a full time plumbing course for 2 years.

I also have a Spanish Grandad who I am learning Spanish with at the moment and my question to you is, do you think I will be able to get a job?

What do you think about Granada? Think the move to Spain is good? Got any stories you'd like to share?(I understand I could search but I didnt find any Sucess stories or something similar and why there)

Thanks all.
Old May 2nd 2006, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My thoughts.

Hi Calum
Sorry to say you have not looked very far for a success story. There is one currently running on this forum with my own success.
pwwm
Old May 2nd 2006, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it, Granada will be very, very hot in summer. What are your reasons for wanting to move there?
Old May 2nd 2006, 9:40 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish plumbing is vastly different to British
Old May 2nd 2006, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

tiddler is a jewel in the roughtiddler is a jewel in the roughtiddler is a jewel in the roughtiddler is a jewel in the rough

I am a working plumber living in spain.....with an added twist i am female.
I've been doing this work for over 20 years and didn't think i'd be working when i first got here as i'd semi-retired in the U.K.

I had to take an exam for gas work as my CORGI qualifactions were less than usless here.

Most of my work comes by 'word of mouth', though a few Ex-pats do not like the idea of a female plumber working for them.....nor a spanish speaking apprentice I leave them to the tender mercies of the 'Costa Cowboys'
I am NOT based on the Costa, infact we're quite a distance from it.

There is a dearth of GOOD plumbers in Spain, so i imagine that you should be able to find a job. It might be best if along side of your apprenticeship you get some practical experience as well.....working outside the class room is VERY different.

Wishing you every success with your apprenticeship.
Old May 2nd 2006, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

no.

and if you do you will be VERY lucky.
Old May 3rd 2006, 6:22 am
Just Joined

calum141 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: My thoughts.

Originally Posted by tiddler
I am a working plumber living in spain.....with an added twist i am female.
I've been doing this work for over 20 years and didn't think i'd be working when i first got here as i'd semi-retired in the U.K.

I had to take an exam for gas work as my CORGI qualifactions were less than usless here.

Most of my work comes by 'word of mouth', though a few Ex-pats do not like the idea of a female plumber working for them.....nor a spanish speaking apprentice I leave them to the tender mercies of the 'Costa Cowboys'
I am NOT based on the Costa, infact we're quite a distance from it.

There is a dearth of GOOD plumbers in Spain, so i imagine that you should be able to find a job. It might be best if along side of your apprenticeship you get some practical experience as well.....working outside the class room is VERY different.

Wishing you every success with your apprenticeship.
Hi there,

Thankyou for all your replies, mainly I appreciate yours.

Would there not be any point of me doing a fulltime NVQ course in Plumbing in England, as I am planning on moving when I am 19/20, or what do you suggest I study/do?

My reasons for moving to Spain are simpily because I don't like English culture that much but I can say I enjoy going up to the Lake District and I don't like the British climate, wet, miserble, the list goes on..

I hope my plans don't go wrong like dozens of other people 'going living the dream' have done - friends of mine for example simpily having the wrong expetations when going there.

Calum
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by calum141
Hi there,

Would there not be any point of me doing a fulltime NVQ course in Plumbing in England, as I am planning on moving when I am 19/20, or what do you suggest I study/do?

My reasons for moving to Spain are simpily because I don't like English culture that much but I can say I enjoy going up to the Lake District and I don't like the British climate, wet, miserble, the list goes on..

I hope my plans don't go wrong like dozens of other people 'going living the dream' have done - friends of mine for example simpily having the wrong expetations when going there.

Calum
1. Learn Spanish
2. Learn Spanish
3. Learn Spanish

Seriously, I imagine it will be difficult working in the expat communities, or within Spanish communities, without work experience, so you will need to hook up with some connections somewhere.

Where is your Grandad from? Do you still have family there that can help you get started? I would suggest you operate from wherever you can maximise your advantages to begin with.

It should be noted that most Spanish people prefer to deal with more mature (that is to say, aged) craftsmen, so if you could get someone to take you under their wing for a couple of years, it would be extremely helpful in getting your network of connections and credibility established.
Old May 3rd 2006, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calum141
Hi there,

Calum
no offence intended callum.. but of course you do, it tells you exactly what you wanted to hear !!!!! work, or rather, constant work is very hard to come by. everyone i know seems to cover their rent / mortgage...its wether you do it with a wad of cash left over to actually go out and enjoy yourself is the real problem.

unexpat hey that sounds like something i would write
Old May 3rd 2006, 11:06 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I go along with unexpat, Like he says you need to work on the tools for years to get the knowledge and customer relations bit.
No matter how good you are you still get people who dont want to pay, regardless of all the tv programs that make out the tradesmen are to blame, there are professional non payers about.
I served as an apprentice/dogsbody for about 6 years, I cant believe how they think they are going to teach you in a short term NVQ course.
I worked as a plumber for about 45 years in various parts of the world and was still learning the day I finished.
What makes it worse is the language difference to.
Put your feelers out now for someone to employ you over here ( tiddler ? )
And take in as much as you can, then do a few saturday jobs, but dont poach off your employer, then if you get enough work go on your own.

best of luck john
Old May 3rd 2006, 6:09 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jdr
I go along with unexpat, Like he says you need to work on the tools for years to get the knowledge and customer relations bit.
No matter how good you are you still get people who dont want to pay, regardless of all the tv programs that make out the tradesmen are to blame, there are professional non payers about.
I served as an apprentice/dogsbody for about 6 years, I cant believe how they think they are going to teach you in a short term NVQ course.
I worked as a plumber for about 45 years in various parts of the world and was still learning the day I finished.
What makes it worse is the language difference to.
Put your feelers out now for someone to employ you over here ( tiddler ? )
And take in as much as you can, then do a few saturday jobs, but dont poach off your employer, then if you get enough work go on your own.

best of luck john
Good post . Would concur with both you and unexpat, there is nothing better than a good apprenticeship, and if your will to watch and learn then the world is opened up to you.
As for constant contracts, nothing is guaranteed in this world, but if you do a more than decent enough job then that will create more work and so on, if you are always recommended, then you will always be wanted.
I was told a long time a go, rather than be the cheapest, be the best. people always prefer paying for the best