Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

My first green sheet

My first green sheet

Old Jan 7th 2011, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default My first green sheet

My much loved Tarjeta de Residencia runs out at the end of next week so I thought I'd take advantage of the school holidays to get it sorted out.

In and out in 10 mins and the best of all - I still have my original card! Is that normal?
Old Jan 7th 2011, 8:26 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My first green sheet

Originally Posted by rachelk
My much loved Tarjeta de Residencia runs out at the end of next week so I thought I'd take advantage of the school holidays to get it sorted out.

In and out in 10 mins and the best of all - I still have my original card! Is that normal?
Quite impossible I'd say.

Do you have an NIE or a DNI?
Old Jan 7th 2011, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

I originally got the white sheet with the NIE number on it, then the plastic residency card (the foreginers' equivalent of the DNI).

The white sheet is forever, the plastic card was due to run out.

As she was stacking and filing my documents I almost asked for a last look at the card, then had a sneaky look in my bag and realised she'd already given me it back (my awareness in such situations isn't greeat, a kind of stunned fuzzy-headedness often comes over me when dealing with officialdom).

So I said nothing and left with a spring in my step and the card still in my possession.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 8:55 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I originally got the white sheet with the NIE number on it, then the plastic residency card (the foreginers' equivalent of the DNI).

As she was stacking and filing my documents I almost asked for a last look at the card, then had a sneaky look in my bag and realised she'd already given me it back (my awareness in such situations isn't greeat, a kind of stunned fuzzy-headedness often comes over me when dealing with officialdom).

So I said nothing and left with a spring in my step and the card still in my possession.
I've just got a new NIE/Residencia green certificate because I moved house. No card tho

Jo xxx
Old Jan 7th 2011, 9:12 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

The reason I asked about NIE/DNI is that you can correctly (legally) get a DNI after having lived here for 10 years. That is, you can take Spanish 'citizenship'.

Had you done that, then you would get a card and not a sheet of paper.

Does the card have an expiry date on it?

.... I've asked before, but does anyone know how to change from an NIE to a DNI - is it even possible given that (supposedly) your number is for life!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

It's not a new card, it's my old one, which expires next week, it's just that I expected them to keep it.

As for the citizenship, I might think about that before my next hugely expensive passport application comes around....
Old Jan 7th 2011, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
The reason I asked about NIE/DNI is that you can correctly (legally) get a DNI after having lived here for 10 years. That is, you can take Spanish 'citizenship'.Had you done that, then you would get a card and not a sheet of paper.

Does the card have an expiry date on it?

.... I've asked before, but does anyone know how to change from an NIE to a DNI - is it even possible given that (supposedly) your number is for life!
Assuming youd have to give up British citizenship I think youd be nuts becoming a Spanish citizen
Old Jan 7th 2011, 9:37 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Assuming youd have to give up British citizenship I think youd be nuts becoming a Spanish citizen
You cannot give up your British citizenship. Even if you are forced to renounce it to gain citizenship in another country the UK ignores the renunciation!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 9:39 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a new card, it's my old one, which expires next week, it's just that I expected them to keep it.
It depends on the office you go to. Some insist on retaining the old card, others do not.

We still have our old cards and no one has yet refused them as ID.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 9:49 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I can appreciate that people are in different circs, but why do you think you'd need to be nuts?

I'd certainly consider it, but then I intend to be here for the long haul, I'm retired and very comfortable here.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 9:55 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Used my expired one for a couple of years with no problems. Until I sold a car. Went along to traffic office with spanish buyer to change details. Official noticed that card was out of date and wasn't going to accept it as proof of NIE no. After a bit of grovelling supported by my car's buyer he finally accepted it. Also when I went to get a copy of my IBI bill the official asked me if I knew the card was out of date but he did accept it.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I can appreciate that people are in different circs, but why do you think you'd need to be nuts?

I'd certainly consider it, but then I intend to be here for the long haul, I'm retired and very comfortable here.
Sadly I think Spains economy will go down the pan big time , consequently everything will suffer including the health service also taxes will rocket , the cost of living for many expats on a UK state pension will be un sustainable so they may well find themselves "going back" if you have a serious illness etc unless you have deep pockets ,burning bridges is not such a good idea , whilst the UK has many faults the economy and infrasture will always be stronger.

If only for selfish reasons I hope I`m wrong!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:39 am
Retired and loving it!

As Fred says, you can hold dual citizenship quite happily and there are still benefits to having a DNI number in Spain rather than an NIE.

Whilst some will disagree, us Brits (and perhaps all foreigners) are still being discriminated against! A case in point is out town council - they are under major investigation for (reportedly) discriminating against extranjeros! and all decisions made by the council are also having to be ratified by our Judge.

I'm not sure, but I think you even hang on to your old passport but why would you want to?
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly I think Spains economy will go down the pan big time , consequently everything will suffer including the health service also taxes will rocket , the cost of living for many expats on a UK state pension will be un sustainable so they may well find themselves "going back" if you have a serious illness etc unless you have deep pockets ,burning bridges is not such a good idea , whilst the UK has many faults the economy and infrasture will always be stronger.

If only for selfish reasons I hope I`m wrong!
Hold on, China's backing Spain now, havent you heard?

Buying Spanish debt big time and just signed a multi-billion euro deal with Repsol

The Chinese say they want to build on their friendship with the Spanish (sub-script, they want the Euro to continue to be strong so to be an alternative to the yankee dollar!)
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cricketman
Hold on, China's backing Spain now, havent you heard?

Buying Spanish debt big time and just signed a multi-billion euro deal with Repsol

The Chinese say they want to build on their friendship with the Spanish (sub-script, they want the Euro to continue to be strong so to be an alternative to the yankee dollar!)
Borrowing money when your broke is never a smart move as you pay a much higher price/suffer later, Have a look at the terms ,China helps no one but China ,(I cant knock them for that though)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.