My dogs

Old Dec 8th 2015, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

lormar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My dogs

Hi Julz,

I have to say, I agree completely with Mike about the road/boat trip on the Cork to Roscoff route, or even the Rosslare-Cherbourg crossing, rather than the flying option for the dogs sake.

We've also been stumped trying to find airlines who'll allow us to take our elderly and somewhat nervous wee Westies with us in the cabin, and as there's no direct flights from here to Palma at this time of year, it'd mean they'd have to endure a few transfers whilst being surrounded by strangers - hence us now going for the road/sea option...it may be longer, but will definitely be more reassuring for them now. At aged 14 and 15, we want to make it as easy and 'normal' for them as possible considering one of them is blind and the other is deaf - hence the nervous shaking fits when they're unsure of what's going on.

So, we're busy planning our trip now too, only we're leaving from the Netherlands - originally from Cork but living here for years. In all the years I've had to do the route from Ireland to here, we've done it in so many ways - but honestly the overnight ferry is by far the easiest and cheapest overall. I understand that some of them even offer dog-friendly cabins! In any case, crossing from the North and driving through the UK is a nightmare, and pretty expensive when you calculate the extra fuel, food, beverages and perhaps even overnight stays along the way, should you need to coincide with ferry times and not have a second driver to share the burden.

So, good luck Julz, I really hope you can find a carrier who'll be able to help you with the flights - and all the best of luck and happiness with your journey and in your new home!
Old Dec 9th 2015, 1:24 am
Just Joined

Weescottie2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My dogs

I was quoted £400 per dog recently to fly them from Glasgow using Thomson flights?