Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Multiple identities-have you tried it on BE or other forums?

Wikiposts

Multiple identities-have you tried it on BE or other forums?

Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multiple identities-have you tried it on BE or other forums?

Oh yes it can, quite easily too!
If you and I made a list of the suspects the lists would no doubt be the same!
There's lots of innuendo here about who has multiple identities, personally I don't have a clue if anyone has, so can you name names?

Personally I couldn't be bothered with it!
I'm me here... and one is quite enough (I'm sure a few would agree), I'm also me elsewhere, sometimes using this name and sometimes not, but there is only ever one of me.
Exactly the same as you, and unless you are banned, I can't see any point in it. I have heard of people with multiple identities answering themselves in forums, but never had any personal experience of it, is it an urban myth? I think people are possibly imagining things that aren't there.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
I have heard of people with multiple identities answering themselves in forums,
It's one way of getting answers that suit you.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 11:26 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

There's lots of innuendo here about who has multiple identities, personally I don't have a clue if anyone has, so can you name names?

Exactly the same as you, and unless you are banned, I can't see any point in it. I have heard of people with multiple identities answering themselves in forums, but never had any personal experience of it, is it an urban myth? I think people are possibly imagining things that aren't there.
I've seen it elsewhere & suspected it here - usually it's a new poster with 'can anyone recommend............? & then a little while later another new poster amazingly recommends exactly that in exactly that town' usually these aren't smart enough to hide IPs & get very easily caught

there was one forum where half the posters were reputedly alter-egos of the owner & various mods - I don't know if it was true - but the posting style of an awful lot of members there was remarkably similar
Old Mar 17th 2012, 11:29 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
there was one forum where half the posters were reputedly alter-egos of the owner & various mods - I don't know if it was true - but the posting style of an awful lot of members there was remarkably similar
Yeah, I seem to remember something about that...
Old Mar 17th 2012, 11:37 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen it elsewhere & suspected it here - usually it's a new poster with 'can anyone recommend............? & then a little while later another new poster amazingly recommends exactly that in exactly that town' usually these aren't smart enough to hide IPs & get very easily caught
:
It's happened here a few times. It's usually very easy to spot.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 11:39 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
it is, isn't it
Old Mar 17th 2012, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I can see that people might have popped in to suggest their own place etc, but it doesn't happen a lot, does it? I must confess to not reading too many of the various threads, but haven't seen a lot of it. Seen lots of instances where people take the trouble to join and then recommend something they have an interest in in their very first post. I guess as a mod, you see more of it than the rest of us, I'm too trusting!
Old Mar 18th 2012, 12:31 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Sockpuppet
Old Mar 18th 2012, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

Jenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really nice

I can see that people might have popped in to suggest their own place etc, but it doesn't happen a lot, does it? I must confess to not reading too many of the various threads, but haven't seen a lot of it. Seen lots of instances where people take the trouble to join and then recommend something they have an interest in in their very first post. I guess as a mod, you see more of it than the rest of us, I'm too trusting!
My husband moderates an engineering forum. Most of his time is spent deleting question and answer type threads from multiple new personalities promoting something and one line posts from spammers. Its got so bad now, he has little time left to answer the real questions.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

it is, isn't it
Originally Posted by Jenny22
My husband moderates an engineering forum. Most of his time is spent deleting question and answer type threads from multiple new personalities promoting something and one line posts from spammers. Its got so bad now, he has little time left to answer the real questions.
*Sigh* I haven't the foggiest who/where/when/how to tell. I must be SOOOOO naive, or innocent, or stupid, or all three (whoops no obviously not... just the one)
Old Mar 18th 2012, 3:17 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenny22
You might want to suggest he improves his vetting and approves first post by all new registrants.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Jenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really nice

Originally Posted by missile
You might want to suggest he improves his vetting and approves first post by all new registrants.
Thanks, I will.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 4:53 am
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JLFS
Just a question about multiplr identities, have you ever tried to do it and been caught?

Have you done it and not been caught?

Would yo ever bother to try?

Or like me, is 1 virtual persona enough?

What do you think about the people that try to fool the mods?

I personally think it is a waste of time, better to be a whole than 2 halves.
Can't see the point & couldn't be bothered to anyway

Get a bit annoyed with them, when I get caught out just trying to be helpful thou

Suzi
Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:33 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I don't suppose it's a big deal and I enjoy a laugh as well as the next man, but I get annoyed with myself for falling for it. They're not that easy to spot if you're not looking for it.

As to their motive? I suspect they're just flaky people, and flaky people do flaky things. I'm stealing someone else's words here, but perhaps they were dropped as babies? Freud could probably write a long book about them.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 11:21 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

One of the most annoying things for me is people who have no access to info or detail just assuming that a screen name is a multiple identity, often because they dont like their post.

I have a lot of info to hand for checking ID's and sadly I often do checks on new members and old.

There's a whole load of mods doing this right across the forums. Some multi names might last a short while, but most don't because (a) they are too damned stupid to disguise themselves and (b) we are more clever than they think

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.