Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Movistar phone hack?

Movistar phone hack?

Old Aug 28th 2015, 3:10 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movistar phone hack?

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
Movistar lady just shrugged her shoulders, so I left the shop telling her I was going to post my story all over the internet and write to a couple of papers.
I doubt that would worry her. Most of the Movistar shops are just franchises that are authorised to sell Movistar phone and contracts.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 3:22 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Besides, you and a million others...
Old Aug 28th 2015, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds easier to just get another sim card and not give movistar anymore money!
Old Aug 28th 2015, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

NadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant future

Not hacked in the sense that people are monitoring, but has anyone come across this, or anything similar? Need background before I approach Movistar.

A friend called me about a year ago now and asked WTF is that music behind your ringtone? Not a clue what he was on about - I never call myself. I keep a prehistoric Samsung for txt and urgent calls. Usually put a Tenner, or Fiver on it for prepay. Everytime I top up it gives the new credit balance by txt. When I wake in the morning I have Two txt messages stating your credit is less than €3 followed by less than €2 then all the cash has gone. I check the call log and message outbox to make sure, but I haven't used the phone other than a single txt to a local number.

What the f*** is going on? I want my money back.

Anyone any idea?
I also have a Movistar pre-paid phone. It needs to be topped up with at least 5 euros every 6 months. If I forget and do not put in 5 euros on time, I get several text messages the same as the ones you got - your credit is less than 3, 2, 0 euros. But, when I put in another 5 euros, the text message I get shows me the full credit (however much I had before + the newly added 5 euros). So, if you add more money to the phone, I think you should be able to get all your cash back...
Old Sep 7th 2015, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Just so that people are aware...

The problem here seems to be with taking the €4 credit from 2233. The €4 credit costs 50 Cents, but if you are nowhere near a locutorio, or top-up shop, and you have no bank cards, it is often the most convenient option. I used it last night, because I knew I had to call a client this morning. When I woke I had Three SMS.

1: Your balance is €4.05 and we have taken our 50 Cents.
2: Your balance is less than €3...
3: Your balance is less than €2...

No credit (or, debt) to call my client. My phone just sat on my bedside table doing nothing all night.

I will keep collecting numbers from other people who have been robbed in this way until I have enough to make Movistar listen.

Anyone else?

I don't want to change my number - it has been my first point of contact whilst I have been in Spain for over 10 years. That is a lot of people to notify of change of number! I do want my money back.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 5:04 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Just so that people are aware...

The problem here seems to be with taking the €4 credit from 2233. The €4 credit costs 50 Cents, but if you are nowhere near a locutorio, or top-up shop, and you have no bank cards, it is often the most convenient option. I used it last night, because I knew I had to call a client this morning. When I woke I had Three SMS.

1: Your balance is €4.05 and we have taken our 50 Cents.
2: Your balance is less than €3...
3: Your balance is less than €2...

No credit (or, debt) to call my client. My phone just sat on my bedside table doing nothing all night.

I will keep collecting numbers from other people who have been robbed in this way until I have enough to make Movistar listen.

Anyone else?

I don't want to change my number - it has been my first point of contact whilst I have been in Spain for over 10 years. That is a lot of people to notify of change of number! I do want my money back.
If I were you I would buy a masmovil/hits/etc sim and they will port your number across in a few day.
Doubt that you will ever get your credit back from movistar, but good luck.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Right, that's what I was going to suggest also. Change phone companies and port the number over to the new company. Then you get to keep the phone number you've always had.

My wife just did that when she switched from Orange to Másmóvil.

- Eric S.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snikpoh
So, why not call 1004 (it's a free call) ask to speak in English and get them to sort the problem?
Problem is they don't.I was charged 2.40 for a four and a half minute call to a Spanish friends mobile,after waiting on hold for 10 minutes, to ask why?the answer was " I don't know"
Old Sep 14th 2015, 10:36 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Not hacked in the sense that people are monitoring, but has anyone come across this, or anything similar? Need background before I approach Movistar.

A friend called me about a year ago now and asked WTF is that music behind your ringtone? Not a clue what he was on about - I never call myself. I keep a prehistoric Samsung for txt and urgent calls. Usually put a Tenner, or Fiver on it for prepay. Everytime I top up it gives the new credit balance by txt. When I wake in the morning I have Two txt messages stating your credit is less than €3 followed by less than €2 then all the cash has gone. I check the call log and message outbox to make sure, but I haven't used the phone other than a single txt to a local number.

What the f*** is going on? I want my money back.

Anyone any idea?
It's probably a Ya Voy which is their marketing name for some music that the caller hears behind the ringtone when they call you. As you didn't know how to disable it it's probable that they enabled it for you as a promotion and then you were charged 1 euro weekly after the first week.

You may be being constantly charged now for the backlog of weekly charges that have built up over time for however long this "service" has been active while your credit is 0.

http://emocion.movistar.es/yavoy/

http://emocion.movistar.es/yavoy/legal

Apparently to stop it you send BAJA YA VOY to 2217. You will then get a message from 2217, you will need to reply to that with NO to 2217 to disable it. Make sure it's in uppercase and the spaces are in the right places.

http://www.androidsis.com/como-darse...en-el-intento/

http://www.elgrupoinformatico.com/co...ar-t20601.html

Now if you're feeling feisty you can ring 1004 and ask for a refund for however long they've been dinging you for this.

Last edited by DLC; Sep 14th 2015 at 10:41 am.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 10:46 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, servicio de anticipo de saldo is them allowing you to have some free credit which they then take off you after topping up next time.

Anticípame Saldo | Móvil | Particulares | Movistar

That woman didn't fix your problem by disabling that as you're still being charged for something, if callers still hear music when they call you then it's that.

Last edited by DLC; Sep 14th 2015 at 10:48 am.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC

That woman didn't fix your problem by disabling that as you're still being charged for something, if callers still hear music when they call you then it's that.
Thanks.

Finally resolved the problem by getting rid of Movistar. They were no help whatsoever. Thought everything was fixed. Put a €20 top-up on my card. Next morning it had vanished without even sending a single text. May try getting a refund, but probably more trouble than it is worth.

A very nice man at a locutorio in Malaga helped me out even though he knew I had very little cash to invest in his business services. Thank you very much Locutorio CyberPlaza.

For others, and future reference: I switched to Lebara for free (much better rates and plenty of offers to save more money - free Lebara to Lebara). Given a free 'blank' SIM. Guy in the shop requested the number to change from Movistar to Lebara. After 3 days I put the blank SIM in my phone (plenty of time to manually list all the contacts on my Movistar SIM) and all is good. Not just good, but much better than it ever was. Nice cheap pre-pay on my original number.

Last edited by TheLostPhotographer; Nov 7th 2015 at 8:43 am.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 9:00 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola </p> <p> Well done LP for coming back and letting us know your solution </p> <p> Davexf

Last edited by Dxf; Nov 7th 2015 at 9:02 am. Reason: formating
Old Nov 7th 2015, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jjh
That statement really isn´t necessary You are being derogatory to the OP. He/she didn´t use any rude words just the letters. If you feel that you need to point this out then perhaps you ought to chill out.
Only pointing out that IMO those parts were unnecessary in making the point of the message. Seems that to some people, no statement or comment is valid unless there are obscene words or they are not so subtlety disguised within it.
And what has "chill out" got to do with it?
Seems that this is now a standard response by some people along with "get a life".
Both meaningless!