Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Movistar Dongle

Movistar Dongle

Old Jan 19th 2012, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Movistar Dongle

We have had a movistar dongle for the past 4 years and as we live in the campo our speed has always been about 40kbps. With no fixed telephoned line this has been our only option for the internet as Vodafone dongle internet did not work at all where we are.

I am not complaining at all but for the past three days we have been receiving speeds up to 2.6mb. This has been fantastic as I have managed to catch up on films that I have missed at the cinema.

What have movistar done to enable us to have this new speed?
Old Jan 19th 2012, 7:40 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movistar Dongle

A new transmitter in your area ?
Old Jan 21st 2012, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Gophie is a jewel in the roughGophie is a jewel in the roughGophie is a jewel in the roughGophie is a jewel in the rough

I too have had a dongle for a few years and gave up using it because to be perfectly honest a tortoise on crutches was quicker. I may give it a go again and see what happens.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 9:52 am
Living in NW Galicia

Brano77 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in exactly the same situation, although we do get at times 55Kb/s!! My understanding would be that the GPRS signal you have had for the last four years has been replaced by a 3G/3.5G signal which is a different technology. We are still waiting in hope?

We have recently changed our tariff though from 35 euros/month for 1 GB to 30 euros/month for 2GB.

We are also exploring the possibility that the Orange signal we could get may be 3G. If so we will change to Masmovil who use Orange and seem to have a much better offer than Movistar.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brano77

We are also exploring the possibility that the Orange signal we could get may be 3G. If so we will change to Masmovil who use Orange and seem to have a much better offer than Movistar.
Carrefour also use the Orange network

http://www.carrefour.es/telecom/inte...ago/bono-3-gb/
Old Jan 21st 2012, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

We have been paying 17.22 euros a month for the past 4 years. I wonder whether we will have to pay more now that we have gone on to 3G and are getting about 2.6mb instead of 40kbps.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 8:42 am
Living in NW Galicia

Originally Posted by battlezone123
We have been paying 17.22 euros a month for the past 4 years. I wonder whether we will have to pay more now that we have gone on to 3G and are getting about 2.6mb instead of 40kbps.
The speed you can now download at will have no impact on the basic monthly payment.
Your monthly payment will be based on a download limit for the contract you took out - you need to check your limit. If you exceed it there will be additional charges - quite punitive. With your new faster connection there is a danger you will, especialy if you start downloading video files.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Gophie is a jewel in the roughGophie is a jewel in the roughGophie is a jewel in the roughGophie is a jewel in the rough

I've had mine for a few years and have also got Movistar contract mobiles. I only pay for the time I use it, no monthly minumum. I only use it very occasionally to get emails etc so it costs me virtually nothing.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brano77
The speed you can now download at will have no impact on the basic monthly payment.
Your monthly payment will be based on a download limit for the contract you took out - you need to check your limit. If you exceed it there will be additional charges - quite punitive. With your new faster connection there is a danger you will, especialy if you start downloading video files.
I have just checked my past bills and my limit was 200MB but for the past year I have exceeded this limit every month with no further charges added. I do remember going to the Movistar shop a couple of months ago as I was finding out about the wifi Movistar gadget and the lady told me that if I go over my limit all that will happen is that the speed is reduced.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 8:46 am
Living in NW Galicia

Originally Posted by battlezone123
I have just checked my past bills and my limit was 200MB but for the past year I have exceeded this limit every month with no further charges added. I do remember going to the Movistar shop a couple of months ago as I was finding out about the wifi Movistar gadget and the lady told me that if I go over my limit all that will happen is that the speed is reduced.
I presume Movistar assumed you were able to download at the 3G speed and if you exceeded your limit of 200MB it would drop to 40/50kbs. If your happy with what you have got I would suggest you do nothing!
Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Any maps showing coverage online?