Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain and working remotely

Moving to Spain and working remotely

Old Feb 7th 2021, 12:16 am
Just Joined

lupin77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Spain and working remotely

After 17 years in England, we want to move back to Spain this year, but we will keep working remotely for our English companies.
Have anyone done the same? How does the tax work? I think the HMRC can change the tax code, so I would pay most of your tax in Spain. But I do not know what I will still have to pay in England? How would the pension work?
Can anybody recommend an accountant who has worked in similar cases?
Any advice is welcome.

Thank you
Old Feb 7th 2021, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain and working remotely

I am sure this has been covered on other threads...
Old Feb 7th 2021, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lupin77
After 17 years in England, we want to move back to Spain this year, but we will keep working remotely for our English companies.
Have anyone done the same? How does the tax work? I think the HMRC can change the tax code, so I would pay most of your tax in Spain. But I do not know what I will still have to pay in England? How would the pension work?
Can anybody recommend an accountant who has worked in similar cases?
Any advice is welcome.

Thank you
I think you need to look at similar threads as there seems to be this type of question every week here. You can thank Brexit for what you will find@
Old Feb 9th 2021, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Falcons is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in a similar situation, tired of paying a fortune just to live in London and my company is okay with remote work. Considering moving to Spain where there are lots of British schools and given I am a EU citizen that should help. If i find something in this forum or elsewhere i ll let you know.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 7:55 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with working remotely (or commuting from Spain to work in the UK) is it disqualifies you from a working and residency visa as you have to be sponsored by a company in Spain, so you would have to see if you can fit into one of the other categories.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 6:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
The problem with working remotely (or commuting from Spain to work in the UK) is it disqualifies you from a working and residency visa as you have to be sponsored by a company in Spain, so you would have to see if you can fit into one of the other categories.
OP hasn’t mentioned it on this thread, but from his other posts it seems he’s Spanish.

HTH.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 6:56 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt there are many Spanish nationals in OPs situation who could offer advice.

One option they may like to consider is creating a Spanish company to employ them and bill his English companies for their services.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 10:05 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OP hasn’t mentioned it on this thread, but from his other posts it seems he’s Spanish.

HTH.
In that case, I'm (still) not sure about the tax stuff but maybe a frontier worker permit from the British government would be necessary en case he ever needs to visit the UK on business. https://www.gov.uk/frontier-worker-permit