Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain within next 5-10 years

Moving to Spain within next 5-10 years

Old Apr 25th 2016, 8:16 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 2
Carol2102 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Spain within next 5-10 years

Hi there

I'm 53 and not ready to retire yet, unfortunately, but thinking of moving to Spain within an ex pat community - not sure where. Hoping u could buy something ok for about £150000
Carol2102 is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2016, 5:04 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
pwwm's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Albuñol. Granada
Posts: 1,532
pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain within next 5-10 years

Have a look at Kyero, pick an área and check out the prices, nice easy web site to get around
pwwm is offline  
Old May 9th 2016, 11:01 am
  #3  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 7
miljee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Spain within next 5-10 years

We're in a similar position! We want to retire to Spain. We're holidaying each year in a different region to get a feel; we've been to Pollensa in Mallorca which was lovely but we've ruled out the islands; Competa north of Nerja in Andalucia; again, very nice, but I'm not sure about the hairpin bends every time you want to go out! And maybe, other than the 45 min drive 'out', maybe not a huge amount to do; Monte Pego inland from Denia last year which we were very taken with; Denia, Javea, Moraira, that whole area is justifiably very popular; and this year going a bit 'wild card' with Gaucin in central western Andalucia.

Next year it'll be Murcia, then we need to make some decisions.

We want a 2-3 bedroom villa with its own pool but not cheek by jowl with neighbours; shortish distance to a-cafe-in-the-town-square (walking best, but a 20 min drive OK); half an hour's drive from the beach; mountainous backdrop. Close enough to expats to be able to join in clubs and activities in English, but not necessarily in an expat urbanisation. My other half and boys (late teens) can all speak some Spanish, but not me! Yet.

We plan on finding an area and renting for a few months to get a real feel for specific locations before committing.

It's exciting and daunting!
miljee is offline  
Old May 9th 2016, 12:14 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,327
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain within next 5-10 years

Originally Posted by miljee View Post
We're in a similar position! We want to retire to Spain. We're holidaying each year in a different region to get a feel; we've been to Pollensa in Mallorca which was lovely but we've ruled out the islands; Competa north of Nerja in Andalucia; again, very nice, but I'm not sure about the hairpin bends every time you want to go out! And maybe, other than the 45 min drive 'out', maybe not a huge amount to do; Monte Pego inland from Denia last year which we were very taken with; Denia, Javea, Moraira, that whole area is justifiably very popular; and this year going a bit 'wild card' with Gaucin in central western Andalucia.

Next year it'll be Murcia, then we need to make some decisions.

We want a 2-3 bedroom villa with its own pool but not cheek by jowl with neighbours; shortish distance to a-cafe-in-the-town-square (walking best, but a 20 min drive OK); half an hour's drive from the beach; mountainous backdrop. Close enough to expats to be able to join in clubs and activities in English, but not necessarily in an expat urbanisation. My other half and boys (late teens) can all speak some Spanish, but not me! Yet.

We plan on finding an area and renting for a few months to get a real feel for specific locations before committing.

It's exciting and daunting!

It's great you are trying different areas and most people will advise to do it, but you will always miss out some great areas and owning a place will always be different to renting. Moraira is nice and if you liked Mallorca the Costa Brava is always an option. While it might be pricey in parts, there are still some great affordable areas, because fewer Brits buy there, however you still have them
Moses2013 is offline  
Old May 9th 2016, 1:16 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 7
miljee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Spain within next 5-10 years

Yes, we did give the Costa Brava some thought, but to be honest, we're looking for more sun!

We went to Pollensa on a last minute whim after England's liquid sunshine put paid to one last Dartmoor camping holiday. It'd been a grim year, 4-5 summers ago so, having arrived late at that villa in the balmy dark, unloading, kids and us to bed- then throwing open the doors the next morning to wall to wall sunshine, pool sparkling, and thus it remained for the entire week- well! Yes, indeed!

We weren't thinking 'retirement' at that stage; the idea was born in fact the following year, at a villa in the Algarve, so the subsequent trips have been a bit more exploratory.

One small point before I'm corrected! My other half is northern Australian and I spent 15 years there so we do recognise that life isn't all about continuous sunshine!
miljee is offline  
Old May 9th 2016, 1:31 pm
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,327
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain within next 5-10 years

Originally Posted by miljee View Post
Yes, we did give the Costa Brava some thought, but to be honest, we're looking for more sun!

We went to Pollensa on a last minute whim after England's liquid sunshine put paid to one last Dartmoor camping holiday. It'd been a grim year, 4-5 summers ago so, having arrived late at that villa in the balmy dark, unloading, kids and us to bed- then throwing open the doors the next morning to wall to wall sunshine, pool sparkling, and thus it remained for the entire week- well! Yes, indeed!

We weren't thinking 'retirement' at that stage; the idea was born in fact the following year, at a villa in the Algarve, so the subsequent trips have been a bit more exploratory.

One small point before I'm corrected! My other half is northern Australian and I spent 15 years there so we do recognise that life isn't all about continuous sunshine!

Sure, but I wouldn't say that 2500 hours or 2700 hours will make a huge difference and you will be thankful for a few more rainy days. Especially in 5 - 10 years desertification might be even more relevant, but of course it will never happen .
Moses2013 is offline  
Old May 12th 2016, 5:59 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
 
Esq.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 11
Esq. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Spain within next 5-10 years

I am in the same state as Carol2102. And I have been looking for a while at Kyero, as pwwm suggested. The question, which I would like to address to experienced BEs in Spain, is: why all the houses in Spain have grids on windows? I mean, I have some ideas why, but is not it an indication of high crime in Spain? The properties in neighbouring Portugal do not seem having these grids so massively as in Spain. And, looking for a town to settle in, should we be paying an attention to whether the houses in a particular location are armoured by the window grids?
Esq. is offline  
Old May 12th 2016, 7:56 pm
  #8  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,512
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain within next 5-10 years

Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
I am in the same state as Carol2102. And I have been looking for a while at Kyero, as pwwm suggested. The question, which I would like to address to experienced BEs in Spain, is: why all the houses in Spain have grids on windows? I mean, I have some ideas why, but is not it an indication of high crime in Spain? The properties in neighbouring Portugal do not seem having these grids so massively as in Spain. And, looking for a town to settle in, should we be paying an attention to whether the houses in a particular location are armoured by the window grids?
Most insurance companies insist on window bars on the ground floor so it is not an indication of crime but an indication of prevention.

Rosemary
Rosemary is offline  
Old May 13th 2016, 8:40 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 33
Cllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain within next 5-10 years

Before the mass use of aircon people had to leave doors and windows open day and night in summer to keep cool. Hence the security bars on low level Windows and doors. When I use my UK house I miss the added protection.
Cllve is offline  
Old May 13th 2016, 4:46 pm
  #10  
MODERATOR
 
Fred James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Granada Costa
Posts: 10,666
Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain within next 5-10 years

Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
Most insurance companies insist on window bars on the ground floor so it is not an indication of crime but an indication of prevention.

Rosemary
Most do, but Linea Directa are happy without bars so long as you have adequate general security and a proper connected alarm system.
Fred James is offline  
Old May 13th 2016, 6:08 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 33
Cllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain within next 5-10 years

Originally Posted by Fred James View Post
Most do, but Linea Directa are happy without bars so long as you have adequate general security and a proper connected alarm system.
I'm sure you're right, but will they pay out if access is via an open window when you are at home with your alarm off? I say this because we have our windows open 24/7 during the summer when at home. Just a thought.
Cllve is offline  
Old May 13th 2016, 9:42 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
 
Esq.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 11
Esq. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Spain within next 5-10 years

Thank you very much for your responses, folks. I realise I am benefiting from the initiative taken by Carol2102. Hoping my next question will be not too boring for the experienced members, and their responses will be useful not just for me, but for other newbies as well:
What towns would you recommend to visit as a potential place for a house purchase during a one week exploration trip?
Preliminary criteria I have in mind would be:
1) Up to an hour drive inland from the cost between Costa del Sol and Costa Blanca;
2) Lower crime areas and absence of massive Roma/ Gipsy and recently built Muslim communities;
3) Away from high maintenance cost urbanisations.
I apologize in advance if this topic was covered in one or another way (of course it must have been addressed before), but my search did not provide any satisfactory outcome.
I also fully realise that it is a matter of a personal preferences, but I will appreciate any your advice without reservations. After all, I need to pick up some towns to visit within limited period of time, and better they will be places liked by someone, rather than the places, which would never be liked by anyone.
I do not have luxury, like most of you, of easy weekend travel to Spain. With the requirement of crossing the Atlantics, I really would like to extract the most of what can be achieved during one week.
I thank you, guys, in advance
Esq. is offline  
Old May 13th 2016, 10:14 pm
  #13  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,512
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain within next 5-10 years

Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
Thank you very much for your responses, folks. I realise I am benefiting from the initiative taken by Carol2102. Hoping my next question will be not too boring for the experienced members, and their responses will be useful not just for me, but for other newbies as well:
What towns would you recommend to visit as a potential place for a house purchase during a one week exploration trip?
I do not have luxury, like most of you, of easy weekend travel to Spain. With the requirement of crossing the Atlantics, I really would like to extract the most of what can be achieved during one week.
I thank you, guys, in advance
Once people have given you an idea of places look on google maps and "walk" around the towns because that can also throw up things that you do or do not like about an area. I know that it will not really help you to get a feel for a place but it may help you to either decide to visit a place in person or leave it at the bottom of your list.

Rosemary
Rosemary is offline  
Old May 16th 2016, 5:39 pm
  #14  
MODERATOR
 
Fred James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Granada Costa
Posts: 10,666
Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain within next 5-10 years

Originally Posted by Cllve View Post
I'm sure you're right, but will they pay out if access is via an open window when you are at home with your alarm off? I say this because we have our windows open 24/7 during the summer when at home. Just a thought.
Yes, but it is not classed as a robbery so the payout is vastly reduced. It's the difference between Robo and Huerto on your policy. Check your policy.
Fred James is offline  
Old May 16th 2016, 5:48 pm
  #15  
Retired and loving it!
 
snikpoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ontinyent - Valencia region (campo)
Posts: 4,991
snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain within next 5-10 years

Originally Posted by Fred James View Post
Yes, but it is not classed as a robbery so the payout is vastly reduced. It's the difference between Robo and Huerto on your policy. Check your policy.
It was explained to me by our insurance company (Allianz) recently like this;

A robbery has to be with violence/force (this excludes pickpocketing for example). Breaking into a property is considered a violent act but going through an open window or breaking in when the alarm is not set, is not deemed violent.

My son had his wallet stolen (pickpocket) whilst in town. We tried to claim on the insurance as valuables (including money in the wallet) is covered away from the home. They wouldn't pay up because of the above!

[unless my Spanish is mistaken, which I doubt ]
snikpoh is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.