British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Moving to Spain within next 5-10 years (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/moving-spain-within-next-5-10-years-876487/)

Carol2102 Apr 25th 2016 8:16 pm

Moving to Spain within next 5-10 years

Hi there

I'm 53 and not ready to retire yet, unfortunately, but thinking of moving to Spain within an ex pat community - not sure where. Hoping u could buy something ok for about £150000

pwwm Apr 26th 2016 5:04 pm

Re: Moving to Spain within next 5-10 years

Have a look at Kyero, pick an área and check out the prices, nice easy web site to get around:thumbup:

miljee May 9th 2016 11:01 am

We're in a similar position! We want to retire to Spain. We're holidaying each year in a different region to get a feel; we've been to Pollensa in Mallorca which was lovely but we've ruled out the islands; Competa north of Nerja in Andalucia; again, very nice, but I'm not sure about the hairpin bends every time you want to go out! And maybe, other than the 45 min drive 'out', maybe not a huge amount to do; Monte Pego inland from Denia last year which we were very taken with; Denia, Javea, Moraira, that whole area is justifiably very popular; and this year going a bit 'wild card' with Gaucin in central western Andalucia.

Next year it'll be Murcia, then we need to make some decisions.

We want a 2-3 bedroom villa with its own pool but not cheek by jowl with neighbours; shortish distance to a-cafe-in-the-town-square (walking best, but a 20 min drive OK); half an hour's drive from the beach; mountainous backdrop. Close enough to expats to be able to join in clubs and activities in English, but not necessarily in an expat urbanisation. My other half and boys (late teens) can all speak some Spanish, but not me! Yet.

We plan on finding an area and renting for a few months to get a real feel for specific locations before committing.

It's exciting and daunting!

Moses2013 May 9th 2016 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by miljee (Post 11943281)
We're in a similar position! We want to retire to Spain. We're holidaying each year in a different region to get a feel; we've been to Pollensa in Mallorca which was lovely but we've ruled out the islands; Competa north of Nerja in Andalucia; again, very nice, but I'm not sure about the hairpin bends every time you want to go out! And maybe, other than the 45 min drive 'out', maybe not a huge amount to do; Monte Pego inland from Denia last year which we were very taken with; Denia, Javea, Moraira, that whole area is justifiably very popular; and this year going a bit 'wild card' with Gaucin in central western Andalucia.

Next year it'll be Murcia, then we need to make some decisions.

We want a 2-3 bedroom villa with its own pool but not cheek by jowl with neighbours; shortish distance to a-cafe-in-the-town-square (walking best, but a 20 min drive OK); half an hour's drive from the beach; mountainous backdrop. Close enough to expats to be able to join in clubs and activities in English, but not necessarily in an expat urbanisation. My other half and boys (late teens) can all speak some Spanish, but not me! Yet.

We plan on finding an area and renting for a few months to get a real feel for specific locations before committing.

It's exciting and daunting!

It's great you are trying different areas and most people will advise to do it, but you will always miss out some great areas and owning a place will always be different to renting. Moraira is nice and if you liked Mallorca the Costa Brava is always an option. While it might be pricey in parts, there are still some great affordable areas, because fewer Brits buy there, however you still have them:lol:

miljee May 9th 2016 1:16 pm

Yes, we did give the Costa Brava some thought, but to be honest, we're looking for more sun!

We went to Pollensa on a last minute whim after England's liquid sunshine put paid to one last Dartmoor camping holiday. It'd been a grim year, 4-5 summers ago so, having arrived late at that villa in the balmy dark, unloading, kids and us to bed- then throwing open the doors the next morning to wall to wall sunshine, pool sparkling, and thus it remained for the entire week- well! Yes, indeed!

We weren't thinking 'retirement' at that stage; the idea was born in fact the following year, at a villa in the Algarve, so the subsequent trips have been a bit more exploratory.

One small point before I'm corrected! My other half is northern Australian and I spent 15 years there so we do recognise that life isn't all about continuous sunshine!;)

Moses2013 May 9th 2016 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by miljee (Post 11943366)
Yes, we did give the Costa Brava some thought, but to be honest, we're looking for more sun!

We went to Pollensa on a last minute whim after England's liquid sunshine put paid to one last Dartmoor camping holiday. It'd been a grim year, 4-5 summers ago so, having arrived late at that villa in the balmy dark, unloading, kids and us to bed- then throwing open the doors the next morning to wall to wall sunshine, pool sparkling, and thus it remained for the entire week- well! Yes, indeed!

We weren't thinking 'retirement' at that stage; the idea was born in fact the following year, at a villa in the Algarve, so the subsequent trips have been a bit more exploratory.

One small point before I'm corrected! My other half is northern Australian and I spent 15 years there so we do recognise that life isn't all about continuous sunshine!;)

Sure, but I wouldn't say that 2500 hours or 2700 hours will make a huge difference and you will be thankful for a few more rainy days. Especially in 5 - 10 years desertification might be even more relevant, but of course it will never happen:fingerscrossed: .

Esq. May 12th 2016 5:59 pm

I am in the same state as Carol2102. And I have been looking for a while at Kyero, as pwwm suggested. The question, which I would like to address to experienced BEs in Spain, is: why all the houses in Spain have grids on windows? I mean, I have some ideas why, but is not it an indication of high crime in Spain? The properties in neighbouring Portugal do not seem having these grids so massively as in Spain. And, looking for a town to settle in, should we be paying an attention to whether the houses in a particular location are armoured by the window grids?

Rosemary May 12th 2016 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Esq. (Post 11946498)
I am in the same state as Carol2102. And I have been looking for a while at Kyero, as pwwm suggested. The question, which I would like to address to experienced BEs in Spain, is: why all the houses in Spain have grids on windows? I mean, I have some ideas why, but is not it an indication of high crime in Spain? The properties in neighbouring Portugal do not seem having these grids so massively as in Spain. And, looking for a town to settle in, should we be paying an attention to whether the houses in a particular location are armoured by the window grids?

Most insurance companies insist on window bars on the ground floor so it is not an indication of crime but an indication of prevention.

Rosemary

Cllve May 13th 2016 8:40 am

Before the mass use of aircon people had to leave doors and windows open day and night in summer to keep cool. Hence the security bars on low level Windows and doors. When I use my UK house I miss the added protection.

Fred James May 13th 2016 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 11946596)
Most insurance companies insist on window bars on the ground floor so it is not an indication of crime but an indication of prevention.

Rosemary

Most do, but Linea Directa are happy without bars so long as you have adequate general security and a proper connected alarm system.

Cllve May 13th 2016 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 11947303)
Most do, but Linea Directa are happy without bars so long as you have adequate general security and a proper connected alarm system.

I'm sure you're right, but will they pay out if access is via an open window when you are at home with your alarm off? I say this because we have our windows open 24/7 during the summer when at home. Just a thought.

Esq. May 13th 2016 9:42 pm

Thank you very much for your responses, folks. I realise I am benefiting from the initiative taken by Carol2102. Hoping my next question will be not too boring for the experienced members, and their responses will be useful not just for me, but for other newbies as well:
What towns would you recommend to visit as a potential place for a house purchase during a one week exploration trip?
Preliminary criteria I have in mind would be:
1) Up to an hour drive inland from the cost between Costa del Sol and Costa Blanca;
2) Lower crime areas and absence of massive Roma/ Gipsy and recently built Muslim communities;
3) Away from high maintenance cost urbanisations.
I apologize in advance if this topic was covered in one or another way (of course it must have been addressed before), but my search did not provide any satisfactory outcome.
I also fully realise that it is a matter of a personal preferences, but I will appreciate any your advice without reservations. After all, I need to pick up some towns to visit within limited period of time, and better they will be places liked by someone, rather than the places, which would never be liked by anyone.
I do not have luxury, like most of you, of easy weekend travel to Spain. With the requirement of crossing the Atlantics, I really would like to extract the most of what can be achieved during one week.
I thank you, guys, in advance

Rosemary May 13th 2016 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Esq. (Post 11947542)
Thank you very much for your responses, folks. I realise I am benefiting from the initiative taken by Carol2102. Hoping my next question will be not too boring for the experienced members, and their responses will be useful not just for me, but for other newbies as well:
What towns would you recommend to visit as a potential place for a house purchase during a one week exploration trip?
I do not have luxury, like most of you, of easy weekend travel to Spain. With the requirement of crossing the Atlantics, I really would like to extract the most of what can be achieved during one week.
I thank you, guys, in advance

Once people have given you an idea of places look on google maps and "walk" around the towns because that can also throw up things that you do or do not like about an area. I know that it will not really help you to get a feel for a place but it may help you to either decide to visit a place in person or leave it at the bottom of your list.

Rosemary

Fred James May 16th 2016 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Cllve (Post 11947373)
I'm sure you're right, but will they pay out if access is via an open window when you are at home with your alarm off? I say this because we have our windows open 24/7 during the summer when at home. Just a thought.

Yes, but it is not classed as a robbery so the payout is vastly reduced. It's the difference between Robo and Huerto on your policy. Check your policy.

snikpoh May 16th 2016 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 11949562)
Yes, but it is not classed as a robbery so the payout is vastly reduced. It's the difference between Robo and Huerto on your policy. Check your policy.

It was explained to me by our insurance company (Allianz) recently like this;

A robbery has to be with violence/force (this excludes pickpocketing for example). Breaking into a property is considered a violent act but going through an open window or breaking in when the alarm is not set, is not deemed violent.

My son had his wallet stolen (pickpocket) whilst in town. We tried to claim on the insurance as valuables (including money in the wallet) is covered away from the home. They wouldn't pay up because of the above!

[unless my Spanish is mistaken, which I doubt :p]