Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain post brexit.

Moving to Spain post brexit.

Old Jan 7th 2021, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain post brexit.

Let’s see what happens then. I heard it’s a 200 euro fine if they choose to enforce it. I can speak Spanish anyway so can’t see it being that much of a big deal. I also have my motorcycle licence which I would of liked to have been able to use.
Old Jan 7th 2021, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
Let’s see what happens then. I heard it’s a 200 euro fine if they choose to enforce it. I can speak Spanish anyway so can’t see it being that much of a big deal. I also have my motorcycle licence which I would of liked to have been able to use.
Reading your original post you said you will try and remain under the radar until you acquire your Irish passport. But how are you going to get healthcare during this period and more importantly neither you nor your children will get the vaccination. Is that wise??
Old Jan 7th 2021, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Can you drive from the UK and enter Spain at the moment without existing legal residency?
Old Jan 8th 2021, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
Reading your original post you said you will try and remain under the radar until you acquire your Irish passport. But how are you going to get healthcare during this period and more importantly neither you nor your children will get the vaccination. Is that wise??
it’s looking like I won’t be able to get there for a few months anyway as border closure and Covid has made things abit more complicated. I spoke with a property agent yesterday and put a deposit down on a property I can stay in as soon as I get out there. Probably looking at March or April now.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Not sure if I would get the vaccination regardless. If I absolutely have to in order to travel or what ever I will but if I don’t I won’t.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

it’s looking like I won’t be able to get there for a few months anyway as border closure and Covid has made things abit more complicated. I spoke with a property agent yesterday and put a deposit down on a property I can stay in as soon as I get out there. Probably looking at March or April now.

You did what? !!! I do hope you at least mean a rental property even then you have taken a massive risk , many estate agents will not be around in March/April and those who are left make UK estate agent look like angels .
Old Jan 8th 2021, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you are right. It is impossible to enter Spain now if you are not a resident and I would imagine that will remain until most of the vaccination project is complete. Given that most municipalities are cancelling Easter celebrations they probably will right off Easter for tourists and wait until summer but who knows. I would imagine that it is more sensible to get yourself and family vaccinated in UK before moving to Spain as you wont recieve in Spain if you are not legally resident plus if your child was going to start Spanish schools then that cannot be done until they have been signed off by a Spanish doctor so again this means official residency
Old Jan 8th 2021, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

I wouldn't pay any money up front for anything for the simple reason it will most likely not be returned if there are problems. I assume it was for a rental not as a down payment on a purchase?
Old Jan 8th 2021, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, you are right. It is impossible to enter Spain now if you are not a resident and I would imagine that will remain until most of the vaccination project is complete. Given that most municipalities are cancelling Easter celebrations they probably will right off Easter for tourists and wait until summer but who knows. I would imagine that it is more sensible to get yourself and family vaccinated in UK before moving to Spain as you wont recieve in Spain if you are not legally resident plus if your child was going to start Spanish schools then that cannot be done until they have been signed off by a Spanish doctor so again this means official residency
That makes sense.

I wouldn't pay any money up front for anything for the simple reason it will most likely not be returned if there are problems. I assume it was for a rental not as a down payment on a purchase?
Only 200 euros. Peanuts. I wanted to secure it because it is in the country. And in this village property is being rented out very quickly as a lot of Spanish are leaving the cities for the country.

Last edited by Stingychips; Jan 8th 2021 at 10:42 am.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

That makes sense.

Only 200 euros. Peanuts. I wanted to secure it because it is in the country. And in this village property is being rented out very quickly as a lot of Spanish are leaving the cities for the country.
Fair enough 200 euros is very small.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 11:22 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

How long will they hold it for 200 euros?