Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain with possessions

Moving to Spain with possessions

Old Jan 29th 2022, 3:06 am
Just Joined

Bishee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Spain with possessions

Originally Posted by Alfonsocolli;[url=tel:13091201
13091201]France may make it complicated and then Spain will ask you to pay customs tax
And how will France know that my blind isn’t part of my luggage - say, skis, and how will Spain know that I am driving across the border into Spain? Shengen borders don’t have border checks
Old Jan 29th 2022, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Alfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bishee
And how will France know that my blind isn’t part of my luggage - say, skis, and how will Spain know that I am driving across the border into Spain? Shengen borders don’t have border checks
Just saying, English registration plate maybe?
Your call at the end of the day ☺️
Old Mar 10th 2022, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Folks

This is my experience of my recent transport of personal effects into Spain…. (I am not a resident)

My history is of renovating a villa and furnishing it entirely from the uk via eBay with both second hand and ex dispjay items etc. Where we managed to do the job at a fraction of the cost compared to furnishing from Spain.

In the past we drove the items down via Brittany ferries and took my tools, renovating and furnishing the place.

This worked up until Brexit.

We sold the villa (and actually made a profit 😮) in 2019 and returned to the apartment we have owned for 18 years, the apartment needed a Refurb so off we go again.

I managed to get there in Jan 2020 with my van tools and items for the Refurb, a full bathroom, appliances, Etc plus my tools as usual.

The intention was to finish the job and bring my furnishings down prior to Brexit on Jan 1st 2021.

As we all know all the best plans…… and the pandemic torpedoed my plans.

So we have an apartment finished but not furnished and a load of stuff waiting in our uk house which had been bought for the job over a 2 year period.

How to get it there? I wanted to go the usual, Brittany ferry to Santander route and drive down with my tools and take the furniture with me…

After research we realised we needed export papers and import to Spain paperwork and a IVA figure would need to be paid to cover the fumurniture we were bringing.

So I set about ringing around searching the net, the Spanish embassy proved a waste of time regarding information….. we found most info on sites such as this.

The uk paperwork side proved to be relatively easy to sort out, ie a queue of willing companies were prepared to do it for between £120 to £200.

We finally found a uk company who said they would do both sets of paperwork using their Spanish import company, all for £199. I thought jackpot!

I contacted them in January and and set the ball rolling, after 3 weeks they conceded defeat and said their Spanish agent proved to be non communicative, ie it fell down as the Spanish company were not interested in replying or Co operating, they tried to get another agent and failed.

So I was back to square one!

So I started again I contacted loads of Spanish import agents and not one answered ! I started to ring them and starting with Mr Samper (recommended on here) I made contact “I will pass it to my colleague” great I thought……after a week I contacted every email on their list and not one person answered!

I contacted at least 10 other agents in both Spanish and English! Not one reply!

The amount was 6 cubic metres which is the rear of my transit custom van!

Now the rough cost would have been

350 ferry out
350 ferry back
380 fuel
Tax 140
Paperwork 200
Total £1420
I would have had my van and tools and a runaround vehicle.

We decided to use a shipper, and we found Ambrose logistics of Huntingdon Cambridgeshire.

Now we were not penny pinching this was arranged to suit us ie we wrapped the items, we wrote the inventory including approximate value (valued to minimum) weight of each item, material and import tariff code (found on online database)

We spent a lovely weekend in Cambridge and then delivered the stuff to them at their depot on Monday morning….

They are a lovely family who have Spanish connections and they were very obliging and friendly.

They undertook the paperwork and efficiently sent our stuff to Spain alongside other cargo in an arctic truck.

The Spanish warehouse they normally use for storage, did not give a price for storage (they never replied to the shippers) so we opted to meet the driver at his first drop in Alhaurin de la grande, we hired a Spanish van and had a long day meeting the driver, off loading the stuff reloading to our hired van.

We finally shifted it all to our apartment, finishing at 9pm.

After a few days our apartment looked great, all furniture assembled an in place all pictures on the wall etc.

The cost of this was
£799 shipping cost including paperwork
£212 pounds Iva tax (paid on our behalf)
E100 euros van hire

Total £1110

This excludes hidden costs such as fuel to Cambridge, stop over in Cambridge costs,
And it must be noted we paid IVA on both the items we took over and the shipping costs which put up the cost of the IVa

Ironically….mr Samper called me whilst we were reloading our van in Alhaurin, to say they could help me…… just a month too late, so a tip maybe to contact Mr Samper far before you intend to go.

Damages were minimal, a concern we had as we would normally pack our own vehicle, and we have never had any damages in the past.

I found out Ambrose use an import agent called T.A.A who are based in Alicante port, they maybe worth a try..

Was it worth it? probably, but it was better than having to sell the stuff in the uk and start again, I had carefully accumulated all the stuff over a long period and then I would have the hassle of trawling the furniture shops in Spain and pay excessive prices for run of the mill stuff, some of the art pieces we have are Artisan house items, which would be prohibitively expensive in Spain.

Sadly my Brittany ferries days are over, my membership has lapsed and I do not intend to renew it…. End of an era!

If there is anything I can help with based on my experience just let me know

regards
Al

Old Mar 10th 2022, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Great and informative post. That works out cheaper than sending pallets. I sent a similar volume on 4 pallets from Italy to Spain for about 1000 Euro (the cost is the same from the UK, but you need to add IVA), plus the local van hire, storage. pallets, wrapping etc..

We live and learn through others experiences.