Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain for one year, with children?

Moving to Spain for one year, with children?

Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:50 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain for one year, with children?

Originally Posted by fionamw
Pretty sure there's a written test in the UK too now? And might language be an issue with regards to a Spanish test? (and/or lessons!)
it's tick the box in both countries though

I wasn't thinking about the language issue - since the child is at bi-lingual school I figured the parents probably speak Spanish

I'm sure I heard you can take your test in english here though..............lessons might be a different ballgame
Old Sep 1st 2011, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
you need to get an International permit to go with your licences for both the UK & Spain - but after 6 months (99% sure on this) you'd have to get a local licence by taking the driving test
An International Driving Permit is nothing more than your original driver's license, translated into multiple languages. It is not required, although it may be a good idea to have one. Probably more important if you're going to be driving in a third world country, rather than Spain.

Visitors to Spain can use their US licenses to drive in Spain. I have visited many times and have rented a car many times, always just using my US license. I've never bothered to get an International Driving Permit. I've only had to show my license once to the Guardia Civil, but they had no problem with my Massachusetts license.

You are right, though, that if you are going to be resident in Spain, you'll need to get a local license. The question is, how long after you arrive will you need to do that. I think you can use your US license for the first 3 months or 6 months or something.

- Eric S.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 8:00 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric S
An International Driving Permit is nothing more than your original driver's license, translated into multiple languages. It is not required, although it may be a good idea to have one. Probably more important if you're going to be driving in a third world country, rather than Spain.

Visitors to Spain can use their US licenses to drive in Spain. I have visited many times and have rented a car many times, always just using my US license. I've never bothered to get an International Driving Permit. I've only had to show my license once to the Guardia Civil, but they had no problem with my Massachusetts license.

You are right, though, that if you are going to be resident in Spain, you'll need to get a local license. The question is, how long after you arrive will you need to do that. I think you can use your US license for the first 3 months or 6 months or something.

- Eric S.
I thought it would be OK myself but the US consulate recommends one to be carried alongside the actual licence

I'm pretty sure you can use it for 6 months if you're living here, but it's obviously best to start the ball rolling on changing it ASAP just because things can often take so long here
Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:09 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it, if you are non EU you don't need an IDP to drive your own foreign plated car or a Spanish reg hire car but you do need it if you are non resident driving a Spanish plated car that you own.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

polar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the advice everyone. My wife is a Mexican-American so she is fluent in Spanish and the driving test shouldn't be a problem. My Spanish isn't great but I can get by, and will no doubt pick it up quickly when living there. Might dust off that Rosetta Stone CD and do a few intense months before we leave.

I know this probably gets asked here about a million times a week, but where is the best place to live in Spain? We would want somewhere that ticks the following boxes:

- In/near a decent-sized city (so there is lots to do)
- Regular & cheap flights from the UK (so family/friends can visit us easily)
- Good schools (happy to send them to local state school if it is good. Otherwise will pay for private)
- On or near sandy beach(es) that have calm surf (good for toddlers)
- Not overrun with expats...but some expats would be nice (for watching footy matches in the pub etc)
- Speak Spanish (not Catalan/Valenciano or whatever other hybrid languages there are)
- On the mainland (we want to be able to explore the country a bit)

Look forward to your suggestions! This started off as a sort of half-joking idea last week but the wife's up for it and I think it might actually happen!
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

Big city not too many expats, I would be looking at Galcia or northen Spain, although Malaga itself isn't over run the city is very Spanish but all around it, well I think so.
sure everyone will soon let you know, good idea to dust off Rosetta if you are going to be outside a tourist area
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 8:45 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adra04778
Big city not too many expats, I would be looking at Galcia or northen Spain, although Malaga itself isn't over run the city is very Spanish but all around it, well I think so.
sure everyone will soon let you know, good idea to dust off Rosetta if you are going to be outside a tourist area
Yes, I think given the criteria Malaga is probably your best bet, although Cadiz may be another option. If you are prepared to go inland then Granada or Cordoba may be other options. There are a few cities in Cantabria, Asturias and Galicia near to the coast, and have really beautiful countryside too, but you won't have the access to cheap UK flights so much. Plus, although great secluded beaches are easier to find there, you have to be very careful with currents etc as the sea there is the Atlantic ocean.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 9:53 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Yes, I think given the criteria Malaga is probably your best bet, although Cadiz may be another option. If you are prepared to go inland then Granada or Cordoba may be other options. There are a few cities in Cantabria, Asturias and Galicia near to the coast, and have really beautiful countryside too, but you won't have the access to cheap UK flights so much. Plus, although great secluded beaches are easier to find there, you have to be very careful with currents etc as the sea there is the Atlantic ocean.
Granada doesnt have too many expats, a few at the uni, not yet found out about any mixing with others.
just you would have to use a pool if wanting a swim as its abt 65-70km to the beach, but then the flat pool here opens in June and closes in September, isnt heated.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by polar_bear
Thanks for the advice everyone. My wife is a Mexican-American so she is fluent in Spanish and the driving test shouldn't be a problem. My Spanish isn't great but I can get by, and will no doubt pick it up quickly when living there. Might dust off that Rosetta Stone CD and do a few intense months before we leave.

I know this probably gets asked here about a million times a week, but where is the best place to live in Spain? We would want somewhere that ticks the following boxes:

- Good schools (happy to send them to local state school if it is good. Otherwise will pay for private)
- Not overrun with expats...but some expats would be nice (for watching footy matches in the pub etc)
- Speak Spanish (not Catalan/Valenciano or whatever other hybrid languages there are)

Look forward to your suggestions! This started off as a sort of half-joking idea last week but the wife's up for it and I think it might actually happen!
come explore the stretch of coast between Estepona and Gibraltar. Ticks most boxes where you can live a Spanish life and still have access to numerous "ex pat ghettos" like Duquesa to watch the footie in the bars (or even better get someone like The Guy to install your own satellite and save the drinking for nicer surroundings)
Old Sep 4th 2011, 3:09 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

- Eric S.
You may be wrong there about the permit, I think you need one if the country you are driving in does not recognise the licence, (ie, unable to swop licence without taking a test) I had to get one to drive in Canada.
EU country licences all have the same info about the driver on them in the same places, non EU ones don,t, that is why the old UK paper licence is frowned upon now as the police don`t know where to look for the info on them.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 3:13 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I thought it would be OK myself but the US consulate recommends one to be carried alongside the actual licence

I'm pretty sure you can use it for 6 months if you're living here, but it's obviously best to start the ball rolling on changing it ASAP just because things can often take so long here
They are recommended and required to have in all strange countries.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 3:51 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

- Eric S.
Originally Posted by jdr
You may be wrong there about the permit, I think you need one if the country you are driving in does not recognise the licence, (ie, unable to swop licence without taking a test) I had to get one to drive in Canada.
EU country licences all have the same info about the driver on them in the same places, non EU ones don,t, that is why the old UK paper licence is frowned upon now as the police don`t know where to look for the info on them.
I would assume having an International would show a little bit of forethought as to your legality on the road.
if a hire company is happy to hire you a car on the basis of your "local" licence then thats fine also
but as to permanant living in Spain any EU national driving licence is accepted - even UK who drive the wrong way round. all others must take the test.

I have a mexican friend who has had to take a spanish conversion course and test although has over 20 years driving experience.

perhaps we should all take a refresher every 3 or 5 years to iron out the bad habits, in the same way as fork lift drivers, first aiders etc have to to remain certificated.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

JuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by polar_bear

IMHO you are looking for a place like Alicante.

Alicante is a mid-sized city so you have lots of things to do. It has a very nice weather and it has a lot of beaches, a marina and nice small villages around.
It has an international airport in El Altet, with direct flights connecting several UK cities. Low cost companies like Ryanair have plenty of flights.
It is also well connected by road and it is about in the middle of the peninsula, so you can move easily by car. Depending on the area you can meet more or less expats from worldwide, but typically in the city there is a regular non-tourist centred life.

Now the drawbacks -- but they are manageable.

Valenciano is co-official language with Spanish. However you don't need Valenciano at all, with the caveat of signaling. Sometimes you'll find signs in both languages or in Valenciano. I've been to Alicante every year for the last 10 years and I never heard anyone speaking Valenciano. I've heard English, french and Russian, exception made to the autonomic TV channels which are in Valenciano. 4 channels out of 40 is not a big deal.

The people are kind in general but:

They are noisy, they speak and laugh very loud, and they love firecrackers.
They work at a very slow pace, it means you will wait in the stores, bars, restaurants, 'centro de salud', etc.

'Fiesta' prevails against rest, in spite of the council regulation.

They could be more clean: people throw rubbish in the street even though they have plenty of bins.

Last years I've seen traffic jams in summer, specially in San Juan Beach connections. Some people drives aggressively.

The financial crisis have harshly hit the area, housing is almost paralysed and surrounding business are very affected. Last year, strolling by the centre, I saw many closed businesses and empty premises. There are 'ghost' malls around.

HTH.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:16 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Any city or large town would meet your requirements. Each has pros and cons, what suits me might not suit you. As has been suggested often before, best to try before you buy (or rent). I find it very easy to travel around spain. I would choose a place near to an airport with good connections to your friends and family back "home". You will need to decide whether the rug rats will go to spanish or an international school, which may limit your choice of location.

Be warned you will have no end of visitors. I never knew I had so many relations and hangers on until we moved to spain.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:35 am

just be careful about the airport, will it still be of use if the carrier you want pulls out
this happened with Granada, Ryanair forced Monarch out of Granada and then pulled out themselves.
I know nothing is for ever but 2-3 years isnt a lifetime either.