Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Expat Tax rate (aka the Beckham law)

Expat Tax rate (aka the Beckham law)

Old Sep 5th 2011, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

asunny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expat Tax rate (aka the Beckham law)

Hi,

I'm finding it really difficult to find complete information on the expat tax rate in Spain (getting down to the flat 25% rate). Does anyone have any experience with the process?

I'm just wondering how long it takes to apply and be accepted I'm reading it can take anywhere between just 10 days and over 6 months?

Any advice would be much appreciated
Old Sep 6th 2011, 7:07 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat Tax rate (aka the Beckham law)

The most important thing is to apply within 6 months of coming to Spain. I have no idea how long it takes but as tax is paid in arrears in Spain it shouldn't be that critical.

There's lot's of information about the procedure if you Google it (which I am sure you will have done).

It's not a question that has cropped up before on the forum - probably because very few members would fall into that category.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asunny
Hi,

I'm finding it really difficult to find complete information on the expat tax rate in Spain (getting down to the flat 25% rate). Does anyone have any experience with the process?

I'm just wondering how long it takes to apply and be accepted I'm reading it can take anywhere between just 10 days and over 6 months?

Any advice would be much appreciated
If I remember correctly they scrapped the Beckham law a while back.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
If I remember correctly they scrapped the Beckham law a while back.
I certainly thought they were planning to.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 8:20 am
Just Joined

The Beckham law was only scrapped if you earn over 600K for anyone under this it still applies.

I have a few friends who have recently moved over and I'm about to but no one seems clear on how long this actually takes ot be approved.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

The Beckham law was only scrapped if you earn over 600K for anyone under this it still applies.

I have a few friends who have recently moved over and I'm about to but no one seems clear on how long this actually takes ot be approved.
All I know is when I moved over in 2007 the accountant I spoke to said the law is on its way out and anyway is only relevant for very big earners (over 100k). I had to pay income tax like any other person in Spain
Old Sep 6th 2011, 8:33 am
Just Joined

You should benefit alot lower than 100K it breaks even around 40k (due to the loss of personal allowances) and then after that the benefit is significant. I.e at 50K you would take home in pocket an extra 2k a year at 60K 4k a year. if you were lukcy enough to earn 100K you would save around 12K - unfortunetly that doesn't apply to me!
Old Sep 6th 2011, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You should benefit alot lower than 100K it breaks even around 40k (due to the loss of personal allowances) and then after that the benefit is significant. I.e at 50K you would take home in pocket an extra 2k a year at 60K 4k a year. if you were lukcy enough to earn 100K you would save around 12K - unfortunetly that doesn't apply to me!
Hmm, I got some very bad advice then that cost me quite a bit of money!
Old Sep 7th 2011, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Kayak is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm on the 'beckham' tax rate it still exists and saves me a fortune.

If you need advice PM me.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kayak
I'm on the 'beckham' tax rate it still exists and saves me a fortune.

If you need advice PM me.
I think I did not qualify for it because my employer was not a Spanish company at the time. Apparently, there are lots of exceptions and it does not apply to people who entered the company from 2010 onwards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beckham_law
Old Sep 7th 2011, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Kayak is an unknown quantity at this point

It still exists.