Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain maybe

Moving to Spain maybe

Old Aug 5th 2013, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

dubdave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Spain maybe

Hi all I am Dubdave was thinking of moving to Murcia and opening up a Chocolate shop been doing it for years here so thought I would give it ago in spain Iknow how to run the business but don't know what will be needed in spain such as lawyer accountant retail unit to buy or rent Have all contacts in chocolate business for supplies What do you all think of this Idea
Old Aug 5th 2013, 1:05 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to spain maybe

Hi dubdave and welcome to,the forum

As your question relates directly to Spain, I'll shift your thread over to the Spain section of the forum. All the best with your plans.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 1:27 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain maybe

Chocolate is not so popular in Spain as UK. I guess you know the recipe will need to be modified to avoid melting in the heat?

Good luck.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 1:40 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dubdave
Hi all I am Dubdave was thinking of moving to Murcia and opening up a Chocolate shop been doing it for years here so thought I would give it ago in spain Iknow how to run the business but don't know what will be needed in spain such as lawyer accountant retail unit to buy or rent Have all contacts in chocolate business for supplies What do you all think of this Idea
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 5th 2013, 1:45 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola and Welcome to the Spain forum,

As an occasional chocolate eater, I have come to understand the large differences between "British" and "European" chocolate. Completely different products and each to their own but people take sides in this ;-)

I recently visited a chocolate factory in Pampaniera in Las Alpujarras (Abuela Ili). Many different flavours of chocolates to try - you may strike lucky if you can emulate their type of business - but how large a business do you want to run? I guess not "Cadbury" size

Davexf
Old Aug 5th 2013, 1:53 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

You have listed all the people you need, but as missile has said, the recipe will have to be adjusted for Spain as the high summer temps, 35+, mean that the normal UK recipe would just melt all over the place, and the beaurocracy to get licences will drive you crazy.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 1:58 pm
ÂżDĂłnde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Chocolate is not so popular in Spain as UK. I guess you know the recipe will need to be modified to avoid melting in the heat?

Good luck.
are you serious??

I don't know a single Spanish person who doesn't like chocolate!

and breakfast for kids consists of chocolate cereal with chocolate milk!

they then progress to churros con chocolate (with brandy in it when they get to clubbing age)

napolitanas con chocolate are sold in every school canteen

I could go on....
Old Aug 5th 2013, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
are you serious??

and breakfast for kids consists of chocolate cereal with chocolate milk!

they then progress to churros con chocolate (with brandy in it when they get to clubbing age)

napolitanas con chocolate are sold in every school canteen

I could go on....
Oh yes.They truly love their chocolate.Even when dieting, they still have to have their chocolate fix, just a smaller amount.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

dubdave is an unknown quantity at this point

A well air condition unit should be fine I have been to many chocolate shops in Madrid Majorca Valencia some of my supplies come from spain and hope to sell hot and cold drinks as well
Old Aug 5th 2013, 2:09 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

A well air condition unit should be fine I have been to many chocolate shops in Madrid Majorca Valencia some of my supplies come from spain and hope to sell hot and cold drinks as well
Beaurocracy and licences are your likely problems, get a gestor or lawyer who has good local council contacts, and you may be fine.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Nocilla/nutella goes in bocatas for merienda,colacao is a staple etc etc...........But I do find the hard chocolate bars have a different consistency than say Cadburys.More waxy?..or hard??..and its seems harder to bite into and sometimes looks shinier.I was at a friends house recently and she still had it in her cupboard.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 2:14 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Nocilla/nutella goes in bocatas for merienda,colacao is a staple etc etc...........But I do find the hard chocolate bars have a different consistency than say Cadburys.More waxy?..or hard??..and its seems harder to bite into and sometimes looks shinier.I was at a friends house recently and she still had it in her cupboard.
The ones made for Spain and the med countries is a different recipe from the UK one, it has special ingredients added so that it will stay hard even in the temps found there, which is why it tastes so different.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The ones made for Spain and the med countries is a different recipe from the UK one, it has special ingredients added so that it will stay hard even in the temps found there, which is why it tastes so different.
Yes, Spanish chocolate actually contains chocolate i.e. cocoa.

British chocolate is just vegetable fat and palm oils. Cadbury's is found to be repulsive by chocolate fans outside of the UK (my wife would vouch for that)

Spain has a proud history in chocolate although it didnt travel to the South very well because, well, it melts Which is why the chocolate there is often the hot kind. The Museo de chocolate in Barcelona is worth a visit
Old Aug 5th 2013, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
That's true. But look in any supermarket (the ones around here are Mercandonna and Consum) and they have a very limited range, and a small amount of shelf space for actual chocolate confectionery (as opposed to "foods" with chocolate in, such as cereals and biscuits).
Compare that with yer average Tesco or Sainsbury, where an entire aisle sells chocolate in it's various forms.
So yes,while the spanish do eat some chocolate the sales volumes seem much smaller than a UK supplier might be used to.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but am smiling at the comment they plan to sell hot and cold drinks, dont think anyone has thought about selling those before.

On another note I agree with others that the Spanish do not like UK chocolate, none of our Spanish friends do, and as already said, they dont eat much of it, as in the supermarkets have very Little on the shelves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.